News Article: Morgan's Yotes Notes: Strome's Packin' On The Bulk

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
In all seriousness, I think this was a much bigger issue for Duclair last year than anything Tippett was responsible for. He was a scrawny kid his first year in Arizona and found success sneaking into soft spots on the defense and slipping around the ice with high end agility and hockey sense. I don't know what his weight was last year or whether it even changed, but he came to camp looking a lot more developed up top, and I think it hurt him overall last year.

This is exactly what I thought as well.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Duclair also didn't have enough try (couldn't resist). He gave up on plays. I go to almost every home game and that's what I saw.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's far and away a better player than Duke, at least at this point in time. Gallagher can not only score 20 goals and 50 points he can bring tenacity, energy and leadership...the guy gets his team going like almost no one else in the league. He's got a motor that few people have. He's superior to Duke in just about every way other than maybe pure goal scoring ability.

Three years older than Duke, asst Capt, points consistent with Dukes best year, more physical, but most importantly that smirky smile, that gets under the skin is worth the price of admission! :laugh:

I admit I don't follow the Habs, but looking at Gallaghers stats I see where he has not hit 50pts. in a year, is small, plays on the PP but doesn't produce and doesn't play on the PK. Duke had one bad year and right away you guys want to get rid of him. I think we should be a little patient here and see what happens this year. Not saying Duke is untouchable, but if I trade him, it would maybe be in a package for a bigger deal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In theory, 200 pounds is fine. The problem is that Strome is too slow and it depends where the extra weight was gained. If it is in his legs and he is a stronger skater because of it, it could help his first step and his skating. If it is upper body weight, it will slow him down. in general, the lighter you are, the quicker you will be and the faster you can skate. Also, muscle strength doesn't equal muscle size (weight).

I think the Yotes know what they are doing with Strome. Strome is no burner that is a known, but he is not as slow as you think. Many average skaters have turned into above average skaters in the NHL. I'm not worried about Strome.

Chayka says there's been a noticeable improvement in Strome's skating this summer. I'm going to trust that instead of worrying about new muscle slowing him down.

I will second that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In all seriousness, I think this was a much bigger issue for Duclair last year than anything Tippett was responsible for. He was a scrawny kid his first year in Arizona and found success sneaking into soft spots on the defense and slipping around the ice with high end agility and hockey sense. I don't know what his weight was last year or whether it even changed, but he came to camp looking a lot more developed up top, and I think it hurt him overall last year.

I don't think Duclair's problem was weight at all, rather his lack of second and third effort.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I admit I don't follow the Habs, but looking at Gallaghers stats I see where he has not hit 50pts. in a year, is small, plays on the PP but doesn't produce and doesn't play on the PK. Duke had one bad year and right away you guys want to get rid of him. I think we should be a little patient here and see what happens this year. Not saying Duke is untouchable, but if I trade him, it would maybe be in a package for a bigger deal.

I don't think anyone is looking to put Duke on the trade block. rt merely said that if the Habs are so high on him that they can swap Gallegher for him. Some of us liked the idea.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, definitely just you.

Based on the handful of games he played last season he's at least as far away as Strome. He was very bad despite playing quality minutes and offensive zone starts with Dvorak. I'm not worried at all but I also wouldn't rush them. They both need one year in Tucson for sure. If not two or three.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Based on the handful of games he played last season he's at least as far away as Strome. He was very bad despite playing quality minutes and offensive zone starts with Dvorak. I'm not worried at all but I also wouldn't rush them. They both need one year in Tucson for sure. If not two or three.

He's going to stick. What you saw was too small a sample to evaluate his game. Looking at the body of his college work, he should stick.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't think anyone is looking to put Duke on the trade block. rt merely said that if the Habs are so high on him that they can swap Gallegher for him. Some of us liked the idea.

Gallagher is just a pest and a piece of dirt. Fits right in where he is now and that's why he should stay there.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He's going to stick. What you saw was too small a sample to evaluate his game. Looking at the body of his college work, he should stick.

Small sample size of course but he really was below terrible. A pain to watch. We'll see during preseason but I'd be very surprised if he's even close from NHL level.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think the Yotes know what they are doing with Strome. Strome is no burner that is a known, but he is not as slow as you think. Many average skaters have turned into above average skaters in the NHL. I'm not worried about Strome.

I will second that.

Yeah I agree. Honestly, I think it's kind of funny how presumptuous people are being about this topic in regards to Strome and his body. No one, including myself, has any idea about the details of Strome's body...and just as little knowledge about what the team is doing as far as monitoring and facilitating his physical development - other than what team staff have publicly put out, which isn't much. This is a professional sports organization we're talking about, with every tool and piece of information available to them...I trust that with millions of dollars on the line, they'll make the best decision that they possibly can when it comes to individual players and their development. Doesn't mean they're always right or that sometimes things don't work out the way they may hope, but I know for a fact they have more information to make a better decision than me or anyone else on this forum :laugh:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Small sample size of course but he really was below terrible. A pain to watch. We'll see during preseason but I'd be very surprised if he's even close from NHL level.

He was a deer caught in the headlights. That won't last.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Yeah, I know what rt said. I also read your post and I value your opinion, I just don't do this deal. I could be 100% wrong.:)

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

They'll both be in the lineup on opening night.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think we should wait until training camp has finished. I think Strome and Keller will look good in camp and have a really good chance of making the team, but in no way are they 2-3 years away.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They'll both be in the lineup on opening night.

I doubt it. I'd send them to Tucson no matter what. Develop chemistry, winning mentality and scoring touch at pro level. Tough if not impossible to do that with the Coyotes.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yeah, I know what rt said. I also read your post and I value your opinion, I just don't do this deal. I could be 100% wrong.:)

It's all good, just fodder. After all there's only a slightly better chance of it happening than you, or I lacing them up for the Yotes this season. :laugh:

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I doubt it. I'd send them to Tucson no matter what. Develop chemistry, winning mentality and scoring touch at pro level. Tough if not impossible to do that with the Coyotes.

Sigh. :shakehead Care to elaborate with some more nonsense on why that's impossible to do with the Coyotes?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I wrote he needs to be careful about adding too much weight the wrong way, and I hope he's adding weight the right way.

Fairly straightforward comment followed now by a sarcastic "ZOMG People on this forum are like sooooo Dumbz!!! looooloolllol" comment. God I love this forum.

See how easy that is?

Yep..... other than my post wasn't really referring to yours. ;)

easy%20button.jpg

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't think Duclair's problem was weight at all, rather his lack of second and third effort.

Weight definitely wasn't an issue, his body type isn't going to change but I think the effort thing was a lot of frustration on his part. Yes he has to push through that but bouncing him around on line after line and playing him with bottom six, low skill players did him zero good. He needs to play in a scoring role with skill players. He is what he is. The good news is this year there will be a lot more skill and talent on the roster for him to play with. Even if he's playing with inexperienced players, I have to believe he will have more success with other offensively skilled linemates.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Duclair reminds me of Petr Klima who played back in the 90's. Sometimes a frustrating player and a bit of a cherry picker but a player you would never want to lose. He didn't always play a full effort game but somehow piled up the points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->