News Article: Morgan's Yotes Notes: Strome's Packin' On The Bulk

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strome needs to be careful with the weight. Much like Peter Mueller he does NOT have a step to lose. When Mueller bulked up it cost him a year of slownineffective pay. He ended up having to cut the weight and start over again the right way.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I never really considered Mueller's bulk up as the major factor in that second year. Twas mostly between the ears.

For Strome? I don't imagine it would really slow him down at the 200 lbs level. He's got the frame for it and some additional muscle might help him in battles and with the "explosiveness" they have long discussed he lacks. If it was something crazy like jumping to 215 in one offseason I'd be worried.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Strome needs to be careful with the weight. Much like Peter Mueller he does NOT have a step to lose. When Mueller bulked up it cost him a year of slownineffective pay. He ended up having to cut the weight and start over again the right way.

His final playing weight will likely be 210-215ish. If he's focusing on strength and explosiveness then there's really no downside to additional weight as it's all functional.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I never really considered Mueller's bulk up as the major factor in that second year. Twas mostly between the ears.

For Strome? I don't imagine it would really slow him down at the 200 lbs level. He's got the frame for it and some additional muscle might help him in battles and with the "explosiveness" they have long discussed he lacks. If it was something crazy like jumping to 215 in one offseason I'd be worried.

I thought Mueller was training with Morris and gained all that weight. I think rt is right about Mueller. I don't think 200 lbs. will hurt Strome.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

Agreed, Dawn I'm sure is monitoring him pretty closely...and at 6'2'', being a little over 200 lbs is a good thing, and I'm sure that extra 'muscle' has improved his explosiveness.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His final playing weight will likely be 210-215ish. If he's focusing on strength and explosiveness then there's really no downside to additional weight as it's all functional.

I agree.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Curious why Chayka went to Toronto for these assistant coach meetings. Why Toronto? Perhaps someone with ties to the city? Like Toronto native Adam Oates?

Fathead

Jan 9, 2010
Scottsdale AZ
Curious why Chayka went to Toronto for these assistant coach meetings. Why Toronto? Perhaps someone with ties to the city? Like Toronto native Adam Oates?

Probably easier for everyone to travel to Toronto and a lot cooler no need to scare off the assistant coaches with 110 degree days.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

100% agreed. Strength wasn't the problem last season.. skating, coordination and mobility were far off. Watching Strome was like watching in slow motion...very painful. He'll be a good one but he really should figure out his skating and coordination within the next couple of years or he might never make it. Adding weight certainly won't help. Why is nobody stopping him? Somebody clearly not doing his job here.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
100% agreed. Strength wasn't the problem last season.. skating, coordination and mobility were far off. Watching Strome was like watching in slow motion...very painful. He'll be a good one but he really should figure out his skating and coordination within the next couple of years or he might never make it. Adding weight certainly won't help. Why is nobody stopping him? Somebody clearly not doing his job here.

He's 6'3, what weight do you suggest? Should he stay a lean 185? Crosby is 3" shorter and 200bs. Kopitar is the same height and 225lbs. Getzlaf, an inch taller and 220lbs. his brother and Mcdavid are 2" shorter and 200lbs.

JP Major is on social media, you should reach out and wake him up...let him know how you feel.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Part of his problems with his first few steps relates to a lack of strength. 200lbs is still underweight for his frame. Strength was absolutely the problem if you ever paid attention to how he was handled along the boards by other players. I'm going to go with "an entire organization of professionals" knows what's best, not you.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Part of his problems with his first few steps relates to a lack of strength. 200lbs is still underweight for his frame. Strength was absolutely the problem if you ever paid attention to how he was handled along the boards by other players. I'm going to go with "an entire organization of professionals" knows what's best, not you.

100% correct.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What are you hearing?

The way he **** the bed last season, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Duke is a RFA so he really does not have much leverage. I hear that the Senators, Habs and Bruins are dropping hints that they think he is worth more than what the Yotes want to offer. This is probably just the agent trying to get more for his client. Like you said, after last year, he has to prove himself so I see some sort of bridge deal.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Duke is a RFA so he really does not have much leverage. I hear that the Senators, Habs and Bruins are dropping hints that they think he is worth more than what the Yotes want to offer. This is probably just the agent trying to get more for his client. Like you said, after last year, he has to prove himself so I see some sort of bridge deal.

Interesting, I guess we'll have the right to match should any of that goes anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad