Morgan Rielly

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think you're alone on this one bud lol

Im not interested in gaining favor with anyone.

If ancient times had message boards, the first guy who said the earth is round would have been laughed at. Over time, people realize oh wait, that guy was right all along. That's what happens with most of my opinions. People scoff initially. Then time passes and they come around. Same will happen with Reilly.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Rielly has performed at a 1D level the past 3 seasons...regardless of his partner. And as usual you are clueless

Well then, Leafs should definitely pay him and watch the Cups roll in.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

If ancient times had message boards, the first guy who said the earth is round would have been laughed at. Over time, people realize oh wait, that guy was right all along. That's what happens with most of my opinions. People scoff initially. Then time passes and they come around. Same will happen with Reilly.

In modern times people claim the Earth is flat, even though objective truths prove otherwise. They will still believe the Earth is flat denying all facts and logic. Time passes, people laugh and move on.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
In modern times people claim the Earth is flat, even though objective truths prove otherwise. They will still believe the Earth is flat denying all facts and logic. Time passes, people laugh and move on.
I don't know what's worse believing the earth is flat or believing Polak is better than Muzzin and Rielly is a 3rd pairing D.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Except in your example you're the guy saying the earth is flat and getting mad at everyone else for disagreeing.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Well then, Leafs should definitely pay him and watch the Cups roll in.
- Karlsson never won a cup despite his accolades, I guess no team should want him since he didn't win a cup.
- Keith won his first cup when he was 27 years old...Rielly is 26 right now and won't turn 27 till next March...
- Hedman didn't win a cup till he was 28, a decade after he made his NHL debut...

There's more examples but you're hopeless.

Playing the devil's advocate to everything doesn't make you smarter...on the contrary it's doing the exact opposite.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

It's too bad nobody was able to theorize that the earth was round before message boards existed, or I am sure you'd be right

Reactions: LeafsNation75

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Barrie was terrible when put into the roles that Rielly has been the past 3 seasons...Rielly put up 70+ points and finished 5th in Norris voting literally two season ago.

Even HF voted him the 17th best D-man in the league and you know how they feel about anything Leaf related.

Some fans deserve the days of neon Dion and Komisarek.

I think the 70+ points has more weight on a d-man's fan perception than his actual ability to defend, well not just fans. I think for a d-man to be considered for any kind of d-man recognition/hardware they should be first competent to exceptional as d-men in both the neutral and d zone. Once they have established that then offensive stats/ability should be considered but it shouldn't be the primary area of scrutiny.

Phanny was at his best offensively, his physicality actually detracted from his defending, Komi was all big check but a poor defender.

Lidstrom, was a great defender, he wasn't flashy physical, he angled players away from the net and then took the puck away, then he got that puck out, he defended exceptionally well and his partners always looked exceptional because they played with him. I don't think Rielly needs to be more physically he just needs to learn how to defend, like gap control, how to win board battles, etc.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think the 70+ points has more weight on a d-man's fan perception than his actual ability to defend, well not just fans. I think for a d-man to be considered for any kind of d-man recognition/hardware they should be first competent to exceptional as d-men in both the neutral and d zone. Once they have established that then offensive stats/ability should be considered but it shouldn't be the primary area of scrutiny.

Phanny was at his best offensively, his physicality actually detracted from his defending, Komi was all big check but a poor defender.

Lidstrom, was a great defender, he wasn't flashy physical, he angled players away from the net and then took the puck away, then he got that puck out, he defended exceptionally well and his partners always looked exceptional because they played with him. I don't think Rielly needs to be more physically he just needs to learn how to defend, like gap control, how to win board battles, etc.
You're asking Rielly to be more like arguably the 2nd best D-man of all time? I'm sure every d-man in the league could be more like Lidstrom. That's like comparing every center to Lemieux...

And it doesn't matter what your definition is, Karlsson, Keith, Letang, Doughty have all been the defining d-men post-lockout and none of them are known for their defence first. All except 3-time Norris champ Karlsson have won cups ...Keith had Seabrook, Doughty had Muzzin and others to play that defence-first role.

You don't go shitting on your top 15-20 D-man in the league on a steal of a contract because he's not Ron Hainsey.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
You're asking Rielly to be more like arguably the 2nd best D-man of all time? I'm sure every d-man in the league could be more like Lidstrom. That's like comparing every center to Lemieux...

And it doesn't matter what your definition is, Karlsson, Keith, Letang, Doughty have all been the defining d-men post-lockout and none of them are known for their defence first. All except 3-time Norris champ Karlsson have won cups ...Keith had Seabrook, Doughty had Muzzin and others to play that defence-first role.

You don't go shitting on your top 15-20 D-man in the league on a steal of a contract because he's not Ron Hainsey.

No, I'm asking him to be a d-man then if he could also maintain his healthy scoring stats I will consider him to be on a steal of a contract. Lidstrom did the little things right while maintaining exceptional offensive stats, I don't think Rielly even knows what the little things are and he's only had 1 exceptional offensive year.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
No, I'm asking him to be a d-man then if he could also maintain his healthy scoring stats I will consider him to be on a steal of a contract. Lidstrom did the little things right while maintaining exceptional offensive stats, I don't think Rielly even knows what the little things are and he's only had 1 exceptional offensive year.

50+ points @ 23
70+ points @ 24
48 points @ 25 in a bad year for him

Asking him to be a d-man?? The dude has done well with some of the toughest minutes in the league and he's probably one of the few 1D in the league that has never played with a legit top pairing guy up until this coming season. Go look at Rielly's partners over the years...

You're comparing Rielly to one of the GOATs of the sport...Rielly and almost all d-men in the league will never reach the level Lidstrom played at.

Why don't you compare him to other 1D's in the league instead of comparing him to the 2nd best D-man of all time lmao.

Matthews is trash if you compare him to Lemieux.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
*Morgan Rielly is an elite offensively minded/talented defenseman in today's NHL.
*MR is not an elite defensively minded/talented defenseman in today's NHL.
*MR has never played in the NHL with a talented partner who compliments the skills MR has. Hainsey was the closest, but Hainsey was not a 1st D talent.
*TJ Brodie appears to have the type of game that will compliment Rielly's talents better than any previous partner. Brodie, by being a good RD player and efficient in patrolling his side of the ice, should negate Rielly's belief that he has to be everywhere on the ice to compensate for his partner's deficiencies, and by extension make Rielly more capable defensively because he only has to worry about one side of the rink. When paired in competitions with the likes of Tanev/Ekblad/Parayko, Morgan Rielly has been a very good/excellent defenseman.
*As a person, as a teammate, as a talent, I'll take Rielly on my team all day long.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
50+ points @ 23
70+ points @ 24

Asking him to be a d-man?? The dude has done well with some of the toughest minutes in the league and he's probably one of the few 1D in the league that has never played with a legit top pairing guy up until this coming season. Go look at Rielly's partners over the years...

You're comparing Rielly to one of the GOATs of the sport...Rielly and almost all d-men in the league will never reach the level Lidstrom played at.

Why don't you compare him to other 1D's in the league instead of comparing him to the 2nd best D-man of all time lmao.

Rielly actually had 27 points in 48 games played during the 2019-20 season.

However since he was playing hurt and on January 12, 2020 when he suffered a different injury against the Panthers that caused him to miss 23 games and be out of the lineup until March 10, 2012 when he returned against the Lightning.

Now during the 2018-19 season when he had 72 points in 82 games played and was 5th in the Norris Trophy voting, even though he should have finished 3rd instead of Victor Hedman. Let's hope he can play like that again during the 2020-21 season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
50+ points @ 23
70+ points @ 24

It will be interesting to see how Brodie and Rielly work together. So far, Rielly has been at his best paired with guys like Tanev, Parayko and Hainsey. Hainsey certainly isn't a top pairing guy, but what he did on the ice, allowed Rielly to play his game. My gut tells me, that Brodie would be best with Muzzin, and to have more of a physical, defensive guy with Rielly... then again, Brodie worked very well with Giordano, so I could be completely wrong. I agree with you, that Rielly is a very good Dman though, but here we are, talking with people who never have good things to say about anything Leaf related, even though they are allegedly fans.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It will be interesting to see how Brodie and Rielly work together. So far, Rielly has been at his best paired with guys like Tanev, Parayko and Hainsey. Hainsey certainly isn't a top pairing guy, but what he did on the ice, allowed Rielly to play his game. My gut tells me, that Brodie would be best with Muzzin, and to have more of a physical, defensive guy with Rielly... then again, Brodie worked very well with Giordano, so I could be completely wrong. I agree with you, that Rielly is a very good Dman though, but here we are, talking with people who never have good things to say about anything Leaf related, even though they are allegedly fans.
At the very least I would like to see Sheldon Keefe put Rielly and Brodie together to start the season.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

In ancient times people would throw lettuce and tomatoes at you for being so arrogant.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
That's like being proud of being the tallest midget.

It comes down to Reilly is not good enough to justify the contract he will command as a UFA. If hes making $8-9M, you expect hes your #1 D in all situations. Reilly is not effective as a #1 D. Hes not effective as a top pair. He needs to be carried. You shouldn't pay guys like that huge money. Therefore you trade him and recoup assets.

Wow...can I have some of what you’re taking? We have known what we were getting with Mo from day 1 and he’s been exactly as advertised, never was he sold as a shutdown type guy who can log HEAVY minutes in the defensive end...he’s a great transition defence man...is he the best in the league not a chance is he in the top 10-15 defence men in the league...you bet your bottom dollar...not to mention he’s a character guy, puts the team first, and on a team with very few of those types he is worth his weight in gold

Team first guys with skill don’t get moved on from they get kept

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

did you know that no scholar in ancient times ever thought the earth was flat? It’s a misconception, all the way back to Ancient Greece educated people have always known the earth was spherical including medieval times.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Rielly actually had 27 points in 48 games played during the 2019-20 season.

However since he was playing hurt and on January 12, 2020 when he suffered a different injury against the Panthers that caused him to miss 23 games and be out of the lineup until March 10, 2012 when he returned against the Lightning.

Now during the 2018-19 season when he had 72 points in 82 games played and was 5th in the Norris Trophy voting, even though he should have finished 3rd instead of Victor Hedman. Let's hope he can play like that again during the 2020-21 season.

Meant he was on pace for 47-48 points last year over 82 game season.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think talent plays and regardless of who Brodie has played with, he has been highly successful sharing the ice with 1D and his skills translate better to the modern NHL imo than a typical physical D. Conversely, Rielly has always played better with top 3 D. That's the thing though, it doesn't have to be a physical D, the difference alone in going from Marincin, Hainsey, etc to a legit 2-3D will be massive.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ideal partner for someone like Rielly is in the prime Seabrook, Chara style of D-man but Brodie is more on the Vlasic side of d-men which is still more than enough.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
did you know that no scholar in ancient times ever thought the earth was flat? It’s a misconception, all the way back to Ancient Greece educated people have always known the earth was spherical including medieval times.
I'm not sure who Pythagoras is
But I hear he's alright.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I am assuming scholars would be less likely to be on message boards. Hence my point. You would have an occasional intellectual, say myself, posting something like "hey guys trust me, the earth is round" and the majority of the hamneggers would be like "this guy is an idiot, we have corsi maps that show its flat". When the intellectual is surrounded by rubes, the rubes opinions will carry more weight than it deserves.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Wow...can I have some of what you’re taking? We have known what we were getting with Mo from day 1 and he’s been exactly as advertised, never was he sold as a shutdown type guy who can log HEAVY minutes in the defensive end...he’s a great transition defence man...is he the best in the league not a chance is he in the top 10-15 defence men in the league...you bet your bottom dollar...not to mention he’s a character guy, puts the team first, and on a team with very few of those types he is worth his weight in gold

Team first guys with skill don’t get moved on from they get kept

In a cap world you need to allocate spend throughout your lineup. Paying a guy like Reilly $8-9M to generate offense, when you already have $40M tied up in guys who are supposed to do the same thing is a waste of cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad