Morgan Rielly

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think Brodie will be a better fit with Rielly than those guys

I hope so, that's why we signed him. Brodie was great alongside Giordano, so hopefully that translates to playing with Rielly. I do think the ideal partner for Rielly is more of a physical defensive defenceman aka why I mentioned Myers or Cernak but Brodie is the best defenceman out of that group and the best defenceman Rielly will play with in his entire career.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
he may not be my favorite player on the team (although he is up there) but he is definitely my favorite person.
20201130_171159.jpg

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
lol what ? Let's move on from our best home grown D-man ? No thanks.

That's like being proud of being the tallest midget.

It comes down to Reilly is not good enough to justify the contract he will command as a UFA. If hes making $8-9M, you expect hes your #1 D in all situations. Reilly is not effective as a #1 D. Hes not effective as a top pair. He needs to be carried. You shouldn't pay guys like that huge money. Therefore you trade him and recoup assets.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020

It comes down to Reilly is not good enough to justify the contract he will command as a UFA. If hes making $8-9M, you expect hes your #1 D in all situations. Reilly is not effective as a #1 D. Hes not effective as a top pair. He needs to be carried. You shouldn't pay guys like that huge money. Therefore you trade him and recoup assets.
Let's trade Marner as well, maybe Matthews.

I laugh you think he needs to be "carried". He carried Ron Hainsey all year and got 72 points and 5th in oOris voting. No one close to him played with a partner that bad.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
He won't be. Hainsey is a better fit for Reilly than Brodie. Brodie is a buttercup. He's not going to fill in physically to make up for Reilly's softness. Brodie wil be better than Hainsey at point production, but the net benefit will be worse.

LOL ok buddy, Hainsey is terrible. Brodie is very good defensively. Stop with the Don Cherry "Tough" garbage. He's a very good top 4 D.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Dont know. Up to the GM to find replacement(s). As long as hes the #1 D, there will be no banners in this city. Bank on it.
But let's trade him to get closer to a banner....

I don't get hockey fans in this city. No one had an issue saying San Jose was a contender with Burns, or any team with Karklsson, or Carlson.

You think Rielly is a 3rd pair D. That was your opinion of him. L:et's stick Dermott on the 1st pair. I'm sure being a 3rd D he'll do just as good...

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Let's trade Marner as well, maybe Matthews.

I laugh you think he needs to be "carried". He carried Ron Hainsey all year and got 72 points and 5th in oOris voting. No one close to him played with a partner that bad.

It's the other way around. Hainsey left and Reilly turned to TRASH.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
It's the other way around. Hainsey left and Reilly turned to TRASH.

I always laugh at this argument beacuse it ignores how horrific Hainsey looked without Rielly. Rielly was hurt last year.

He's a 3rcpair D gotcha. Are you backing away from that opinion now?

Let's be clear here, TJ Brodie is in another league from Ron Hainsey and almost a decade younger. Brodie' s defensive numbers were terrific last year.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
But let's trade him to get closer to a banner....

I don't get hockey fans in this city. No one had an issue saying San Jose was a contender with Burns, or any team with Karklsson, or Carlson.

You think Rielly is a 3rd pair D. That was your opinion of him. L:et's stick Dermott on the 1st pair. I'm sure being a 3rd D he'll do just as good...

Defensively Dermott would be no worse. Reilly is a trainwreck in his own zone and worse than that he's so weak in front of the net.

I am not a fan of ant of those D you mentioned based on their contacts. They are case in point for my argument against Reilly. All of them will continue to look worse and worse. Reilly will be the same. Went make that same mistake to lock in a guy like that long term when you know he's not good enough to anchor a Stanley cup winning D.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Defensively Dermott would be no worse. Reilly is a trainwreck in his own zone and worse than that he's so weak in front of the net.

I am not a fan of ant of those D you mentioned based on their contacts. They are case in point for my argument against Reilly. All of them will continue to look worse and worse. Reilly will be the same. Went make that same mistake to lock in a guy like that long term when you know he's not good enough to anchor a Stanley cup winning D.

Rielly is way better to have than the names I mentioned. Much younger and healthier.

You just think every Leaf player needs to be traded. Do you think they need to just give up and blow it all up?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I always laugh at this argument beacuse it ignores how horrific Hainsey looked without Rielly. Rielly was hurt last year.

He's a 3rcpair D gotcha. Are you backing away from that opinion now?

Let's be clear here, TJ Brodie is in another league from Ron Hainsey and almost a decade younger. Brodie' s defensive numbers were terrific last year.

Is your argument that Hainsey looked horrible playing for the Senators? He was a plus 10 for them (best on the team). He was actually very solid for them, if you actually watched their games.

Reilly was no solid. And he also wasnt solid the year before they put Hainsey with him. Hainsey tried his best to allow Reilly to be a rover and cover for his gaffes. Should I pinch, yes, no, yes, oh damn guy blew by me. That's reilly in a nutshell. And credit he gets for points is because he plays with elite offensive talent. Put him on a team that cant score and hes not seeing a lot of ice.

KyleDubasBoyGeniua

Nov 20, 2020
Is your argument that Hainsey looked horrible playing for the Senators? He was a plus 10 for them (best on the team). He was actually very solid for them, if you actually watched their games.

Reilly was no solid. And he also wasnt solid the year before they put Hainsey with him. Hainsey tried his best to allow Reilly to be a rover and cover for his gaffes. Should I pinch, yes, no, yes, oh damn guy blew by me. That's reilly in a nutshell. And credit he gets for points is because he plays with elite offensive talent. Put him on a team that cant score and hes not seeing a lot of ice.

+/0 is just the most outdated, worse stat. He was terrible. Ask Sens fans. He's not close to TJ Brodie.

Is Morgan Rielly a #5 or 6 D in your opinion? You stated he was a 3rd pair D...

It's insane you think Hainsey is better than TJ Brodie. If you look beyond lazy +/- you see Brodie was actually much better than the FLames replacement, Tanev, who is considered great defensively last year.
Hainsey is finsihed.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

I think you're alone on this one bud lol

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Our transition game went from a formidable strength to a mess when Rielly was out injured. And Rielly wasn't even healthy when he was playing.

Reactions: Zybalto

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Damn cynick has to be still hating on Rielly if someone is posting defense posts for him.

Rielly is a stud his play does the talking. On and off the ice he is a huge leader.

Dubas finally addressed something Nonis, Lou had failed in getting a actual capable partner for him who can keep up with his skating and IQ. Hainsey mind you was solid but he really should not have been there constantly and would have been better used as a PK partner and occasional partner in 2019

I'd be fine with any player on this team being dealt if it made the team better, but rielly is one of the few who I'd really be sad to leave. Guy represents the leafs so well. Hope he extends in a year early so no UFA discussion during his final contract year.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I consider Rielly an upgrade on Barrie but his game is similar for the most part. Good to great offensively but weak defensively, he's a good PP option and PKs on a perennially mediocre PK. I prefer that he continue to play with a player that can compliment him, maybe Bogosian, so that he could continue to do what he does best. I'd rather not see him as part of TO's primary defensive duo, that isn't his strength, I think Muzzin and Brodie together might be better suited to that role.

I thought it strange that many thought Barrie would look for and get somewhere around $8 mil. per once he became a UFA and I feel the same way about Rielly, he deserves a raise but there is an affordability issue for TO.

I hope that TO can make proper decisions on these pending significant UFAs and don't let the walk into UFAdom without TO getting anything for them.

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
I think you're alone on this one bud lol

He does have some points, so sorry I have to disagree: he's not alone on this, and most importantly kudos to him for sticking his neck out talking against this fanbase's hero.
We need some tough love around here sometimes.
Peace

geo25

Sep 28, 2017

Reactions: The CyNick

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Bingo....he's error prone & terrible defensively. Time to move on....

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I consider Rielly an upgrade on Barrie but his game is similar for the most part. Good to great offensively but weak defensively, he's a good PP option and PKs on a perennially mediocre PK. I prefer that he continue to play with a player that can compliment him, maybe Bogosian, so that he could continue to do what he does best. I'd rather not see him as part of TO's primary defensive duo, that isn't his strength, I think Muzzin and Brodie together might be better suited to that role.

I thought it strange that many thought Barrie would look for and get somewhere around $8 mil. per once he became a UFA and I feel the same way about Rielly, he deserves a raise but there is an affordability issue for TO.

I hope that TO can make proper decisions on these pending significant UFAs and don't let the walk into UFAdom without TO getting anything for them.

Barrie was terrible when put into the roles that Rielly has been the past 3 seasons...Rielly put up 70+ points and finished 5th in Norris voting literally two season ago.

Even HF voted him the 17th best D-man in the league and you know how they feel about anything Leaf related.

Some fans deserve the days of neon Dion and Komisarek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad