Morgan Rielly

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Guy was thrown under the bus with Ceci, Barrie is not a good D pairing. Not sure what else to say other than we need a Hamonic type pairing for Reilly for him to do what he does best which is be a Offensive PMD.

It’s not an excuse, he needs to be better but we just don’t have the personnel.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's having an off year, maybe an injury. Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... He deserves it.

Perhaps last year was the anomaly. Morgan Rielly Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I'm not concerned with the points though, Leafs don't lack in that department.

I've often questioned his ability to anticipate or his intuitiveness defensively.

He needs a strong defensive partner to cover up for him, but he also needs to be on the ice with a left winger that has an instinct to drop back into a defensive role when he goes free wheeling.

I saw that from Mikheyev, but don't from Hyman who is usually very deep in the O-Zone.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
He has earned and deserves the benefit of the doubt and has been a warrior for us since coming into the league .
A great skater , terrific person and leader and truly has been the only strong point of our defence up until this year .
He deserves the criticism this year .
I have all the faith in him turning his season around , and he started with last night .

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He has earned and deserves the benefit of the doubt and has been a warrior for us since coming into the league .
A great skater , terrific person and leader and truly has been the only strong point of our defence up until this year .
He deserves the criticism this year .
I have all the faith in him turning his season around , and he started with last night .

We should have faith that Keefe will figure out who he should be paired with.

That's the benefit of someone who doesn't know all the answers, he looks for them.

At this point I don't see how pairing him with Liljegren is off limits.

Offensively, he and Barrie aren't bad, but defensively they aren't good.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He is missing Hainsey and nursing an injury it looks like to me. Skating stride doesnt look right so he isnt jumping up into the rush as often because he isnt confident in his skating.

Honestly wonder how Holl would look beside Rielly for a few games. With Muzzin out he will have to be the shutdown defender. Maybe run:

Rielly-Holl
Dermott-Ceci/barrie
Marincin-barrie/ceci

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Injury doesn't cover mental gaffs. He is suffering not having a defensive responsible partner.
Wouldn't mind seeing Holl Reilly
Dermott Barrie
Ceci Marincin on the 3rd pair...limit their minutes, kill some penalties.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's been injured since the first Boston game this season.

He needs a defensive partner to cover for him and neither Ceci nor Barrie were ideal fits.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
No confidence in his offensive game is leading to poor decisions with the puck in the o-zone and he looks like he's forcing it to the point where he's not focused at all on his defensive game.

Under Babs earlier in the season it looked like he was missing having a stable partner (like Hainsey) .. Now he just looks a bit lost in terms of his role in Keefe's system.

Wonder if the injury has slowed him down too.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
We should have faith that Keefe will figure out who he should be paired with.

That's the benefit of someone who doesn't know all the answers, he looks for them.

At this point I don't see how pairing him with Liljegren is off limits.

Offensively, he and Barrie aren't bad, but defensively they aren't good.
I think trying anything and everything including pairing him up with Liljegren would be a nice try

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Can’t stand him. Shoots when he shouldn’t, doesn’t shoot when he should. Just garbage defensively. The sad part is he’s still probably the best dman we have.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Up until this year he was playing well above his cap hit of $5M. This year maybe just a bit below. In 2 years I'm sure the Leafs will give him a Ryan Suter deal regardless of how well he's playing

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
how is there no thread on this guy? Best dman last year, terrible every game this year. Hurt? Ive never seen anything like it. WTH?

I didn’t really want to start a thread on him and gave it a pass recently. So I’m giving him a pass and i know he is just not himself for some reason. The jump is there but nowhere near last year. Not jumping on him right now but i am patiently waiting for him to get rolling again.

Basically he is getting a pass right now. I know he will get it going! His skating game when he uses it is elite, even this year at times.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No confidence in his offensive game is leading to poor decisions with the puck in the o-zone and he looks like he's forcing it to the point where he's not focused at all on his defensive game.

Under Babs earlier in the season it looked like he was missing having a stable partner (like Hainsey) .. Now he just looks a bit lost in terms of his role in Keefe's system.

Wonder if the injury has slowed him down too.

I don’t think confidence is it. The jump is sparse at best. Definitely has not been our huge advantage at skating. He is just not skating. That’s the regression. When he does occasionally he is the same as last year. So I don’t understand this with him.

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
Rielly has been atrocious this year. Whenever the puck ends up on his stick I am almost certain he will give it up, pinch poorly, circle the left side of the offensive zone and almost always kill the play by a missed shot, shot that doesn't hit the net into the boards or into the shins.

I never thought he was a great defenseman but he's showing that even his IQ is lacking now offensively.

Also stop shooting Mo, you don't have a good shot ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad