Post-Game Talk: Morgan Rielly: the Light in the 9th straight Loss, 1-0 to Philly

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ya blame it on luck.

Luck is the reason we are breaking franchise records for not scoring

The leafs had 30 shots on goal tonight - out shooting their opponents by 12.

I don't care if they trade everybody, i don't even care if they fire the coach - but you'd have to be pretty hard pressed to argue that it was coaching that kept them from scoring tonight.

The leafs significantly outshot their opponent, and lost by 1 goal. This was hardly a disaster of a game.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

I don't care if they trade everybody, i don't even care if they fire the coach - but you'd have to be pretty hard pressed to argue that it was coaching that kept them from scoring tonight.

The leafs significantly outshot their opponent, and lost by 1 goal. This was hardly a disaster of a game.
30 shots doesn't mean ****ing ****.

Leafs used to win games day in day out getting out shot by a 2-1 margin

Otherwise the winner of games would just be given to whoever had more shots

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
30 shots doesn't mean ****ing ****.

Leafs used to win games day in day out getting out shot by a 2-1 margin

Otherwise the winner of games would just be given to whoever had more shots

They didn't win very many of them, did they? 8th last in the league last season.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
They didn't win very many of them, did they? 8th last in the league last season.
Carlyle is the first coach in a decade to make the playoffs with the leafs.

Horachek is the first coach in 89 to score 1 or less goals in the 6 starts his #1 goalie has.

I state facts. You talk about luck

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

Horachek is the first coach in 89 to score 1 or less goals in the 6 starts his #1 goalie has.

You realize one of the two doesn't have to be good right? It's possible that both Carlyle and Horachek are bad coaches?

Yeah he made the playoffs in a shortened season where they were dangerously close to not even making it. Had the season ran 4-5 more games, we would have been 9th almost guaranteed.

Carlyle's overall record in Toronto has us playing at an 87 point pace. A fluke playoff round means nothing. I don't like Horachek as much as the next guy, but losing with him doesn't make Carlyle look any better.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
You realize one of the two doesn't have to be good right? It's possible that both Carlyle and Horachek are bad coaches?

Yeah he made the playoffs in a shortened season where they were dangerously close to not even making it. Had the season ran 4-5 more games, we would have been 9th almost guaranteed.

Carlyle's overall record in Toronto has us playing at an 87 point pace. A fluke playoff round means nothing. I don't like Horachek as much as the next guy, but losing with him doesn't make Carlyle look any better.
Carlyle is a cup winner.

Horachek can't even get the highest scoring team in the league to score a goal.

I know which coach is better

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Carlyle is a cup winner.

So is Brett Lebda. Pronger-Neidermayer won that cup, Carlyle was along for the ride.

Horachek's team isn't allowing the most shots against of any team in the history of the NHL like Carlyle did. Literally worse than expansion teams defensively.

Sure, Carlyle's probably better than Horachek. Neither of them is nearly good enough though.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Our coach is an idiot.....my god his choice of players in key spots of the game has been nothing short of moronic. Kadri not on the ice in the final minute over Holland? Then even over our best player by a mile tonight....

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Reilly 3rd star:)

Why didn't your goalie get a star?? I did not get to watch the game, but certainly, a goalie thats ends up a game with a .944 sv pctg deserves a star (at least over doughnut head Kessells 6 shots and 0 hits)!!!

Leafspoison*

I just feel grateful that we all got to be part of a record setting evening together....

I feel so close to all of you right now...

group hug?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Carlyle wasn't the reason why we were winning :facepalm:

I actually want this team to win a few games right now so people would shut up about Horachek's coaching.

No coaching would make this team play .175%. The players have simply given up. That's the leadership on this team (there is none).

I think Shanahan should have seen enough but I'm not too sure what the **** we're doing by offering Cody Franson 4.6M. It looks like the Leafs purposely want to torture their fans.

he didn't take it, what's that tell ya?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just bad luck, they're really just a badly structured team.

With any luck they'd only be bad.

This current streak just shows that if Kessel isn't producing they don't have anyone else who can step up.

No one.

They don't miss Phaneuf.

Either trade Kessel or trade everyone else.

If your keeping Kessel, he's one of three, Kessel, Rielly, and Bernier(get him some smelling salts) .

The rest of the players are support players and I'll cheer the day they're jettisoned.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just bad luck, they're really just a badly structured team.

With any luck they'd only be bad.

This current streak just shows that if Kessel isn't producing they don't have anyone else who can step up.

No one.

They don't miss Phaneuf.

Either trade Kessel or trade everyone else.

If your keeping Kessel, he's one of three, Kessel, Rielly, and Bernier(get him some smelling salts) .

The rest of the players are support players and I'll cheer the day they're jettisoned.

Kessel hasn't been our best player since back in December. Losing or not, he should still be your best player.
He can't make the playoffs with Bozak/Phaneuf/Lupul etc. How is he going to make it without because there is really nothing you can trade these guys for that is going to make a difference. They will return either picks, other cap dumps or projects. We will still have the same problems moving the other guys, no no. 1 C or D, questionable compete, lack of winning battles, lack of higher end organizational depth.
If Kessel doesn't score goals, there is absolutely nothing I like about his game. At all. Like it or not he is the face of the franchise and the franchise needs to change. Badly.
Kessel (a la Rick Nash) is the only player who will get you a higher return to help put higher quality pieces in the organization.
It's time to move on from the 3 of Bozak/Kessel/Phaneuf of which are associated (right or wrong) with the annual collapses. Nashville has some nice pieces, we are poised to draft a quality center, make the moves.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010

You talk exactly like someone who does not have to pay to see the Leaf games - is this correct? MLSE employee of some sort?

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Carlyle is a cup winner.

If it wasn't for the rare sensible statement like this, I'd lose total faith in humanity.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
No more anger in the post game threads. Almost every poster seems to be either at depression or acceptance - we are officially a broken fan base.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

Did you watch the shots? Only a handful of decent scoring chances. I bet 25 of the shots were from the outside. Kessel had a bunch of shots but were just him skating down the wing and wristing it on net.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our coach is an idiot.....my god his choice of players in key spots of the game has been nothing short of moronic. Kadri not on the ice in the final minute over Holland? Then even over our best player by a mile tonight....

Bud, realize the tank. Believe me there are so many suspect moves I think he is helping it along just enough to make the tank a reality.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
This attitude on the bench of heads down, feeling sorry for themselves isnt good for young guys like Rielly. Sad to see really, its not even the loses anymore, this team is just totally demoralized.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No more anger in the post game threads. Almost every poster seems to be either at depression or acceptance - we are officially a broken fan base.

I think we are witnessing optimism and pessimism converging on realism and acceptance.

The playoffs are all but mathematically lost at this point so we are simply playing out the season now. It is what it is so no use getting too high or too low any more.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014

Horachek is not the one on the ice. He can not make the players score. He can not use is all mighty mental abilities to telekinetically put the puck in for Kessel( that would be cheating and = penalty)
Its the players who can not seem to play a two way game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Bud, realize the tank. Believe me there are so many suspect moves I think he is helping it along just enough to make the tank a reality.

The tank is only half of the equation. It doesn't make me angry.
Not knowing if they are coming back with the same core of players that you flat out make you not want to cheer for this team anymore makes me angry. I've never experienced this as a fan and I've seen some bad teams. If I have to see a certain player skate around like Eeyore or Humpty Dumpty after missing a perimeter shot (which filters through the team) I'm going to scream.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This attitude on the bench of heads down, feeling sorry for themselves isnt good for young guys like Rielly. Sad to see really, its not even the loses anymore, this team is just totally demoralized.

I think you're wrong. But, I think they need to end the bleeding sooner than later as well.

This collapse is the best thing that could have happened. I know exactly who I want on this team now with 100% certainty.

Kadri is not giving up

Rielly has suddenly woke up and shown he will likely be a C or A

Gardiner is playing better

Polak battling it out

Komarov battling it out

Those are players we can work with and toss in JVR for being in a black hole with Bozak and Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad