Post-Game Talk: Morgan Rielly: the Light in the 9th straight Loss, 1-0 to Philly

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dion has been on the ice for more goals against then any other D man on Toronto since the slide has started....the only thing we are missing ....is more PK time as he is good for at least one stupid penalty a game.

Do we miss a minus 18 in his last 16 games?

Heh yeah. With the way Dion played before his injury, he's certainly not missed. Especially not considering the way that Rielly has stepped up.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Others will step up too when Kessel will be moved. Better sooner than later. Motivation should also climb when the highest paid player and 'leader' isn't a one-dimensional sniper. Cause I agree, there is absolutely nothing to like about his game when he is not scoring.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
Again... you aren't seeing the big picture here. Yes I agree, Kessel should be moved now but its not realistic either, let me explain. Kessel is making 8M a season/8 years not many teams can afford that, he also has a NTC that limits it to 8 teams he's willing to be dealt to, hen there's the negoations between the the two clubs.

As for Coloardo, get real bud we likely aren't getting Duchene for Kessel (! If anything Colarado parts with ROR long before they part with Duchene, and besides scoring isnt an issue for them but defence is... IF Duchence goes its to land a potentially elite bluleiner, not a one dimensional scorer lol.

Colorado has NO problems scoring, why would they deal for a scorer when they badly need help on the blueline? If anything they move a key piece to help solidfy the back end, not up front.

Please re-read my post. I actually said I'd like to pry Mackinnon not Duchene. And I also said I would give them anything on the roster minus Rielly. So I did not propose a straight up deal. If they need help on defence we can help there. Gardiner and Percy are both young with upside that we could put in a package with some others. And I agree they can score, but wouldn't it be cool to see a pure goal scorer like Kessel on Duchene or O'Reilly's wing? I'm just a fan and just dreaming a bit. That's half the fun. Try not to shoot me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Dion has been on the ice for more goals against then any other D man on Toronto since the slide has started....the only thing we are missing ....is more PK time as he is good for at least one stupid penalty a game.

Do we miss a minus 18 in his last 16 games?

Not to defend Dion but he is out there the most and up against the other teams top players it makes sense HE would be out there for the most goals against.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Not to defend Dion but he is out there the most and up against the other teams top players it makes sense HE would be out there for the most goals against.
Yeah, Shea Weber is on for the most goals against in Nashville, Ryan Suter is on for the most in Minnesota, Alex Pietrangelo is on for the most in St Louis, Drew Doughty is on for the most in LA, etc. It's not that unusual for a team's #1 defensemen to be on for a lot of goals against and it certainly doesn't mean they're bad at hockey.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Colarado has NO problems scoring, why would they deal for a scorer when they badly need help on the blueline? If anything they move a key piece to help solidfy the back end, not up front.
All I'm saying is the notion that Kessels cap hit is to big is ridiculous. You said "not many teams could afford that" right? Players can come back in deals. Burrows++ for Kessel, Paul Gaustad++ for Kessel, T.Ruutu++ for a kessel. It doesn't have to be a team adding 8 million they could be adding anywhere from 4-8 for one of the best scorers in the league.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Yeah, Shea Weber is on for the most goals against in Nashville, Ryan Suter is on for the most in Minnesota, Alex Pietrangelo is on for the most in St Louis, Drew Doughty is on for the most in LA, etc. It's not that unusual for a team's #1 defensemen to be on for a lot of goals against and it certainly doesn't mean they're bad at hockey.
Yep. If you look at goals against per 60 minutes of ice time, the top of the list is all your Mark Fraser and Douglas Murray types.

Tyler Biggs*

They have destroyed HNIC. I have friends that cannot even watch due to the "skinnypants" host who seems to know nada about the sport. He does no work, no research, has no connections, and that fake laugh about nothing is soooo annoying. Mix that with Kpreos/Healy "Leaf hate " act, and its unwatchable. Leaf alumini should kick out Kypreos and Healy, they are disgusting.

Tyler Biggs*

What the F is George Snufflelupagus doing on HNIC with his skinny pants anyway?
He looks and acts like a game show host.
And why does Kypreos have to lug a hockey stick around?
Who comes up with this smutch

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Others will step up too when Kessel will be moved. Better sooner than later. Motivation should also climb when the highest paid player and 'leader' isn't a one-dimensional sniper. Cause I agree, there is absolutely nothing to like about his game when he is not scoring.

Nothing will change until you move Kessel, his BFF and Phaneuf. Don't even mention culture change until we do. These can't be the top dogs and they will as long as they are here.
Imagine training camp without those 3 next year, it's wide open for spots, it's demanding compete and allowing a new identity to cultivate.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
Nothing will change until you move Kessel, his BFF and Phaneuf. Don't even mention culture change until we do. These can't be the top dogs and they will as long as they are here.
Imagine training camp without those 3 next year, it's wide open for spots, it's demanding compete and allowing a new identity to cultivate.

The problem isn't as much on the ice as it is in the dressing room. Kessel is no leader, but because he is the best player he is somewhat looked upon as a leader and to be a leader. A lot of people are saying stick-gate was his doing. If this team had real leadership, Kessel would be thriving. He could sit in the corner by himself and do his thing while others do all the leading and talking. I agree that he needs to go, but only because he is at his peak value now, and we won't need his goals for another 5 years. His talent will be wasted waiting for this team to be a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad