Post-Game Talk: Morgan Rielly: the Light in the 9th straight Loss, 1-0 to Philly

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He doesn't even need to say anything, Daisy, all he has to do is leave all out on the ice. If the team still loses it won't be because he didn't do everything he could.

well you get what i mean.
every single game he comes out and goes. "I believe in the team , it's unacceptable, blah. we have to try harder."

NO. don't try harder. just..
ugh. be mad. be furious. smash someone. be all i can't believe we're doing this AGAIN. something.

and that's why I'm not a huge fan of him as captain. maybe that's not fair - but good leadership is by example on the ice sometimes and dion doesn't have a great get up and go.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
For statistics:
WF3tFEX.png

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Perhaps, management was a little too eager to affix that "C" to his chest without him first earning it.

My opinion, for what that's worth, is that he's the type of guy who takes that responsibility a bit too much to heart. It gets to him.

The real leaders I know personally are all the kind of people who just take to that role naturally, they don't think in terms of responsibilities. They just... inspire.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
First you say Gardiner didn't play well last year. Then you support that opinion by using his stats for THIS year. And then you claim that a bad 35 games this season means that you are right in saying he wasn't good last year.

"Hey I hear Heatley is pretty much out of the league these days. And people said he was good in the Pizza line days. Clearly not!"

Man, Interactif, your argumentation skills have made a Toronto-esque collapse lately. I don't think you'll convince anyone at this rate. You used to support your opinions much better than this, to be frank.

I never saw him as one that played well last year, check my posts last year and summer, and I used this year to support what I saw last year.

He didn't fool me last year and he hasn't this year either when it is becoming more than obvious to all to see now, what his deficiencies are.

If you want to call me on it, you could, if I said he played well last year or he has backed it up this year. Has this happened? No.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
every single game he comes out and goes. "I believe in the team , it's unacceptable, blah. we have to try harder."

ugh. be mad. be furious. smash someone. be all i can't believe we're doing this AGAIN. something.

and that's why I'm not a huge fan of him as captain. maybe that's not fair - but good leadership is by example on the ice sometimes and dion doesn't have a great get up and go.

Yeah. "We have to try harder" is something I'd rather never hear. First of all he's implying that they despite it all actually are not trying as hard as they can. Secondly, it feels like it means they will be trying to force extra effort, when what they need most of all is some desire of hearts and calmness of nerves.

And when the captain talks about needing to try harder again and again, while his game turns more and more passive... that's just ugly.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The Leafs luck will have them finish last, then draw the minimum 4th pick as per new rules. It's just how we do things!

Those new rules start in 2016. Whoever finishes last this year is still guaranteed a top 2 pick. ;)

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

You'll get no argument for me on that and the fact that talking to the media doesn't seem to one of his strong points anyway. ;)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I never saw him as one that played well last year, and I used this year to support what I saw last year.

He didn't fool me last year and he hasn't this year either when it was more than obvious to all now, what his deficiencies are.

If you want to call me on it, you could, if I said he played well last year or he has backed it up this year. Has this happened?

Except that he's playing nothing like last year.

Last year he was carrying the puck all the time. He isn't this year. Last year he produced. He isn't doing that this year. Last year he kept the puck away from our net better than anyone else. This year he is our worst at this. Last year he was constantly moving his feet. This year he is one of the D-men who skates the least.

How exactly did he fool you? You still haven't explained this. What part of his game was just fooling? It's not like he rode some insane percentages or something. If you want people to listen to you, you have to provide some form of support for this. Nothing points to his second half of last year being a mirage, statistically. Everything points to him being great during that period.

Either way, I called you out now because you argued that what we've seen this season proves your point about his last season, and it does nothing of the sort.

Last edited:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
First you say Gardiner didn't play well last year. Then you support that opinion by using his stats for THIS year. And then you claim that a bad 35 games this season means that you are right in saying he wasn't good last year.

"Hey I hear Heatley is pretty much out of the league these days. And people said he was good in the Pizza line days. Clearly not!"

Man, Interactif, your argumentation skills have made a Toronto-esque collapse lately. I don't think you'll convince anyone at this rate. You used to support your opinions much better than this, to be frank.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Except that he's playing nothing like last year.

Last year he was carrying the puck all the time. He isn't this year. Last year he produced. He isn't doing that this year. Last year he kept the puck away from our net better than anyone else. This year he is our worst at this. Last year he was constantly moving his feet. This year he is one of the D-men who skates the least.

How exactly did he fool you? You still haven't explained this. What part of his game was just fooling? It's not like he rode some insane percentages or something. If you want people to listen to you, you have to provide some form of support for this. Nothing points to his second half of last year being a mirage, statistically. Everything points to him being great during that period.

Either way, I called you out now because you argued that what we've seen this season proves your point about his last season, and it does nothing of the sort.

I can't control what other people think or see. I was never high on Gardiner or his mirage of games that he supposedly played well last season. I had a theory for this, it was because we were behind in so many games that all he did was his usual mindless rover pond hockey where he could showcase his skating and holding onto the puck.

You can't call me on this, because it meant very little to me then and it means even less now, as he has not lived up to his 20M+ contract. He was playing the same mindless hockey he always did. Don't lump me into those that fell for this. He is the same player he was last year, and don't forget even his backers said he started slow, so where is all the good you guys saw?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I can't control what other people think or see. I was never high on Gardiner or his mirage of games that he supposedly played well last season. I had a theory for this, it was because we were behind in so many games that all he did was his usual mindless rover pond hockey where he could showcase his skating and holding onto the puck.

You can't call me on this, because it meant very little to me then and it means even less now, as he has not lived up to his 20M+ contract. He was playing the same mindless hockey he always did. Don't lump me into those that fell for this. He is the same player he was last year, and don't forget even his backers said he started slow, so where is all the good you guys saw?

That's pretty disingenuous if you ask me. He had the lowest GA/60, the best Corsi, was only a -3. Of all the defensive stats you can quantify, Gardiner came out on top in just about all of them. Was easily our best player in those last 20 games, and not by virtue of the rest of the team being bad either, he was doing awesome things on the ice.

He's a talented young D-man who is still trying to find consistency in this league. Me and a lot of other posters are willing to be patient with him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's pretty disingenuous if you ask me. He had the lowest GA/60, the best Corsi, was only a -3. Of all the defensive stats you can quantify, Gardiner came out on top in just about all of them.

He's a talented young D-man who is still trying to find consistency in this league. Me and a lot of other posters are willing to be patient with him.

Not everyone shares this opinion. I think you need to look up disingenuous, you may not know what it means. It has no bearing in this discussion. You can't tell someone they are this, when they believe it.

And incase you haven't noticed, a lot of posters are catching on to the Gardiner mirage of last year, which I called.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Not everyone shares this opinion. I think you need to look up disingenuous, you may not know what it means. It has no bearing in this discussion. You can't tell someone they are this, when they believe it.

And incase you haven't noticed, a lot of posters are catching on to the Gardiner mirage of last year, which I called.

dis·in·gen·u·ous
ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: disingenuous

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

Seems pretty accurate when describing your "theory" on Gardiner's stretch last year.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Actually that is bad news for the Leafs. Would prefer they move up the rule change to this year. As it is, we have no chance at getting the 2nd overall pick. Which sucks.

No chance at 2nd this year? Why not?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
dis·in·gen·u·ous
ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/
adjective
adjective: disingenuous

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

Seems pretty accurate when describing your "theory" on Gardiner's stretch last year.

I thought Gardiner was bad last year who played against the other teams weakest players, that didn't deserve his 20M+ contract. Daisy will back me up on this. One of the few here the publicly stated that hated his contract when it was signed. You sure you know what disingenuous means? Seems like I was being bluntly honest.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
No chance at 2nd this year? Why not?

There's only a lottery for first overall is 2015. Any team can win it, but it's not until 2016 that there's a lottery for the top 3 spots.

So unless the Leafs finish last in the league this year, they won't have a shot at 2nd this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad