Injury Report: Morgan Rielly out 8 weeks with a fractured foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
While it's true you have a good point re: losing 2 top D, don't think I'm the only one who thinks that our need on D wasn't for a Tyson Barrie.

Of course not saying I know that someone better in our own end was available.

Think Freddy's cold spell has demonstrated that at some point whomever we have/call up/acquire need to play better D, incl fewer turnovers by fwds if we want to make a run?

Yes. And I think they need to evaluate their defensive zone strategy; it's fine when our goalie is playing .930 hockey but when he isnt with the amount of shots we allow, it gets ugly fast. Bad teams still allow less shots against than us.

Reactions: Northofyu

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
One of the worst things about this injury is it wasn’t longer... had it extended into playoffs the Leafs would have at least 5 mill to add a D even with term.

They can fannangle that no? He is allowed a conditioning stint in the Lol ahl to if they want to do that i believe haha.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
One of the worst things about this injury is it wasn’t longer... had it extended into playoffs the Leafs would have at least 5 mill to add a D even with term.

They mentioned this on the radio this morning, too. It's the Patrick Kane loophole. No cap in the playoffs, so if a player is hurt before the TDL and returns right in time for the playoffs you can add a player using the LTIR space without having to clear it when he gets back.

I actually mentioned this loophole back at the start of the season. It's possible that Rielly's prognosis is conveniently adjusted, but I don't think our management group will work like that. We're probably just stuck without him.

I hope he recovers early.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Speaking of Dmen in the system..... Has anyone heard much about Jesper Lindgren? How is his development coming along? Is he an NHL Dman?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While it's true you have a good point re: losing 2 top D, don't think I'm the only one who thinks that our need on D wasn't for a Tyson Barrie.

Think Freddy's cold spell has demonstrated that at some point whomever we have/call up/acquire need to play better D, incl fewer turnovers by fwds if we want to make a run?

The Leafs have been assembled and instructed to play offense, even their Dmen in a strategy to outscore your mistakes and breakdowns.

Its not just Rielly that joins the attack on occasion, but all Dmen and it seems like all the time and that is by design.

Now with Rielly out, finding Barrie back in his own zone playing defense will become even a rarer site to see, and I expect Sandin who is replacing Rielly will also be given the green light to attack at regularity. The defense is going to be deployed and activated even more to attempt to replace Rielly's offense.

Its not defensemen its offensemen.

PS. Its not a cold spell by Freddy, its the fallout of getting of shell shocked and peppered with shots on regularity, that based on sheer volume alone will amount to more goals against. With Rielly out I expect Andersen's shot volume go up not down.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Speaking of Dmen in the system..... Has anyone heard much about Jesper Lindgren? How is his development coming along? Is he an NHL Dman?

Pretty solid? Good mobility and pretty solid in his own end. Not sure he's skilled enough for the NHL to be a regular though. He'll have the chance to be a top 2 defenseman for the Marlies once Sandin and Liljegren are up with the Leafs.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You mean like Kadri and Grundstrom? Already been doing that

Maybe the Rielly injury, finally precipitates a Nylander for a top 4 dmen trade, which will also not only improve the Dcore, but move cap resources from expensive forwards to improving the defense and better cap management and spending. You can get a pretty good Dman for $7 mil cap and help improve on that league bottom 5 goals against that existed even with Rielly playing.

2 birds 1 stone.

However more likely it now forces Dubas hand to deal Kapanen, AJ, Kerfoot level forwards and toss in the Bracco, Timashov, etc to bring in some Dmen help in the shorter term, or face the real possibility of no playoffs this year.

Lets see if the Rielly injury forces change and what kind/level of change.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I don't think Rielly is terrible defensively, I just think he's not good enough defensively to be a shutdown D. His usage should be similar to Burns in San Jose, not to Vlasic-Karlsson.

That being said, this loss will definitely hurt because Muzzin is also hurt. Muzzin got hurt, which forced Rielly to play harder usage. Now Rielly is injured, and this will force someone to play harder usage. Dermott, Sandin, Marincin aren't exactl proven LHD lol.

I would go with:

Dermott (23 mins) - Holl (22 mins)
Sandin (17 mins) - Barrie (22 mins)
Marincin (20 mins) - Ceci (16 mins)

Hopefully they can handle it (they'll be forced to lol).
You could argue that a lot of high skilled defensemen aren't suited for the shut down role but that doesn't mean they're bad defensively or aren't trusted by their coaches. Besides, its good to have a real shut down pair to handle other teams top lines to allow guys like Rielly more time in the offensive zone to help the team win. I posted in another thread that Rielly was the leading average ice time on the Leafs 3 of the last 4 seasons. He's continually in the top 3 for blocked shots every year he's been on the team, including doubling those beneath him, he's gotten progressively more time on the PK and he(at 50.2%) is only behind Ceci 54.3% and Holl 54.8% for defensive zone starts this season. He seems to have the trust of his coaches in defensive scenarios , which is kind of why I reject the notion of him having terrible defense.

I will say, Dermott does need to really step it up now. He's being put in a position he hasn't been put in before so he's going to have to carry the load a bit. I think we'll have a decent idea of the king of player Dermott can/will be in the next month or so. I'm not sure about Sandin playing with Barrie, that may be a bit too offensive , maybe Sandin and Ceci with Sandin being the more offensive player and Ceci being the more defensive player on that line.

Reactions: The Apologist

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Maybe the Rielly injury, finally precipitates a Nylander for a top 4 dmen trade, which will also not only improve the Dcore, but move cap resources from expensive forwards to improving the defense and better cap management and spending. You can get a pretty good Dman for $7 mil cap and help improve on that league bottom 5 goals against that existed even with Rielly playing.

2 birds 1 stone.

However more likely it now forces Dubas hand to deal Kapanen, AJ, Kerfoot level forwards and toss in the Bracco, Timashov, etc to bring in some Dmen help in the shorter term, or face the real possibility of no playoffs this year.

Lets see if the Rielly injury forces change and what kind/level of change.
If we had listened to you and dealt Nylander in the summer we wouldn't be enjoying his breakout season nor got a great defender in return after his awful previous season.

He provides great value for 7m now would be foolish to trade. Thank god you Dubas haters don't run the team.

But yes we have an abundance of forward depth now thanks to Keefe and patiently developing Marlie's so would be good to use some more to acquire another Dman. Which I remind you Dubas has already done so twice in the past year.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018

I agree would like to see us acquire someone like Savard for the right price.

But given how bad Freddie has been lately it wouldn't matter if we had 6 all star Dmen in front of him

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They mentioned this on the radio this morning, too. It's the Patrick Kane loophole. No cap in the playoffs, so if a player is hurt before the TDL and returns right in time for the playoffs you can add a player using the LTIR space without having to clear it when he gets back.

I actually mentioned this loophole back at the start of the season. It's possible that Rielly's prognosis is conveniently adjusted, but I don't think our management group will work like that. We're probably just stuck without him.

I hope he recovers early.
It is much easier to do that strategy with a winger. Much harder with your top D. He needs a few games back before playoffs to get his timing back.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
What does everyone think about Greg Pateryn from Minnesota? I'm thinking Barrie, Hutch for Pateryn, Stalock and a pick or b level prospect. Might be able to swing their 1st round pick (top 10 protected). Barrie has to go, his offensive upside is not worth his defensive deficiencies if you even want to call it that. More like defensive incompetence.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What does everyone think about Greg Pateryn from Minnesota? I'm thinking Barrie, Hutch for Pateryn, Stalock and a pick or b level prospect. Might be able to swing their 1st round pick (top 10 protected). Barrie has to go, his offensive upside is not worth his defensive deficiencies if you even want to call it that. More like defensive incompetence.
Wasn't Pateryn a Leaf at one time?

Mar 26, 2010
Wow. Season is in jeopardy.
If Andersen keeps letting in 3 + goals every game like he has 9 out of the last 12 games... they will miss the playoffs.

The team is putting up 5 goal games and still losing.

I know a lot of us like to blame the D, but the fact is the opposing Goaltenders are making the big saves the Andersen has failed to make. That game against Edmonton was pathetic. Five of the 6 goals should have not gotten past Andersen. Just sub-par.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
Kappy is too valuable... Johnsson tho is a fair trade
It would have to be kapenen, to get you have to give

Defence for leafs next year would look good

Rielly X
Sandin larsson
Dermot holl
Marincin

I think have a a swedish RHD to play with sandin would be great for his development

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Someone on the back line is going to have to really step up! Looking at Barrie for conducting the offense from the back now!

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
If Ceci goes on the IR for the last 10 games of the season.

That's an extra 4m in cap space for a playoff roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad