Injury Report: Morgan Rielly out 8 weeks with a fractured foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
No, it makes no sense to roll 7 if you think it helps by playing Ceci on his offside while trying to shield Barrie. This seems like insanity to me.
You have 43 min of LD injured. Call ups and RD are going to have to support.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
We barely have 6 NHL ready dmen without Muzz and Rielly ;)
And our 4th line plays 3 minutes a night. Might as well play as many defensemen as we can to see who can play and who can not. Imagine Dermott, Sandin, Marincin, Liljegren, Holl, and Kivihalme showing that they can play better than Ceci and Barrie. If we were to play with 8 defensemen and give them all the same usage we would know very quickly who the weaklinks are and would be able to move on at the deadline.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
.... all .... all his trades have been for d-men? He’s literally traded for 3 d-man in the lineup.
The top 2 picks in the last 3 drafts...5 of 6 of them were dmen. Kokkonen Sandin Durzi Ransanen Liljegren.

The last top tier trades were for dmen.

He had a hand in picking Dermott and Liljegren.

What the hell more should he doing.

Lol

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
The top last 2 picks in the 3 drafts...5 of 6 of them were dmen.

The last top tier trade were for dmen.

He had a hand in picking Dermott and Liljegren.

What the hell more should he doing.

Lol

The Dubas hate is honestly the strangest thing ever in leaf fandom. People change reality to for some reason hate on a guy who’s barely been in the job.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Well on a positive note at least he can heal up that nagging injury that has been at him all year
My guess is that he's been playing through pain all season, and that the Florida debacle is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Better that he rest, heal and come back healthy and effective, whenever that might be.

It could be an early start to the golf course season for this group anyway. If they should happen to make the playoffs so much the better, but I wouldn't be counting on much from Reilly even then. Plan for next year for him, anyway.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You have 43 min of LD injured. Call ups and RD are going to have to support.
Except why play one of the worst ones on his offside. Probably something he's never done. We still have 3 LHD in Dermott, Marancin and Sandin. As bad as Marancin is, he's still probably better than Ceci playing his off-side.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
We'll find out if Rielly has been as bad a some of us think.

I am on the fence on how much this impacts the team... honestly. Hope I am wrong in a way, but he's been terrible all season in critical moments.

I think they can over come it, and he comes back refreshed and not sucking.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
My guess is that he's been playing through pain all season, and that the Florida debacle is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Better that he rest, heal and come back healthy and effective, whenever that might be.

It could be an early start to the golf course season for this group anyway. If they should happen to make the playoffs so much the better, but I wouldn't be counting on much from Reilly even then. Plan for next year for him, anyway.

It's insanity to even think we could miss the playoffs with our salary cap situation. All these top earning forwards and we might miss the playoffs? We're going to make it, too much talent not to.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
One of the worst things about this injury is it wasn’t longer... had it extended into playoffs the Leafs would have at least 5 mill to add a D even with term.

Reactions: Merrrlin

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
"The summer winds, came blowin' in, from across the sea..."
frank-sinatra.jpg

Reactions: al secord

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Great chance to see what kind of character this team has. Obviously Rielly hasn't been himself all season, and this prolonged period of time should allow him to rest his foot, and the other nagging injury and hopefully come back 100%.
The team now needs to rally and play through it. Rielly brings a lot to this team 5 on 5, PK, PP. Say what you will about his play so far, someone still has to take those minutes.

If Andersen/Hutch can step up their game and steal a few then we should be able to keep pace. If there is a trade that makes sense (IE moving out Johnsson, Kapanen, Bracco etc) for a good dman then Dubas should pull the trigger. We've seen unexpected contributions from players like Engvall that could make some wingers expendable.

A move I'd try and make:

Johnsson, Ceci, Bracco for Josh Manson & Ondrej Kase + a prospect or pick. Or something based around those assets. Not sure if the Ducks would have interest but sounds like they're listening on players and willing to take salary for assets.
Saves the Leafs some cap room and the Ducks pick up some good assets.

Last edited:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The Dubas hate is honestly the strangest thing ever in leaf fandom. People change reality to for some reason hate on a guy who’s barely been in the job.

Age and philosophy are where the hate come from IMO.

Age makes people jealous because he has accomplished so much at such a young age.

Philosophy because some think the clutch and grab era of Gretzky's days are still here.

He knows the team weakness and he had been addressing it as aggressively as he can.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It's insanity to even think we could miss the playoffs with our salary cap situation. All these top earning forwards and we might miss the playoffs? We're going to make it, too much talent not to.

If only that's how it worked eh?
With both Muzz and Riels out its gonna be tough.

Big contracts can't prevent injury, unfortunately.

But I think they make the playoffs.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
One of the worst things about this injury is it wasn’t longer... had it extended into playoffs the Leafs would have at least 5 mill to add a D even with term.
I don't see us making the playoffs without him, more time away might make for a better substitute short term but I don't think it will matter either way. I'm ready to be panic.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
It was atrocious before he took over.

He traded for 2 top Dmen in Muzzin and Barrie what more do you want?

No team has the depth to cover for their top 2 Dmen getting injured long-term

While it's true you have a good point re: losing 2 top D, don't think I'm the only one who thinks that our need on D wasn't for a Tyson Barrie.

Of course not saying I know that someone better in our own end was available.

Think Freddy's cold spell has demonstrated that at some point whomever we have/call up/acquire need to play better D, incl fewer turnovers by fwds if we want to make a run?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
While it's true you have a good point re: losing 2 top D, don't think I'm the only one who thinks that our need on D wasn't for a Tyson Barrie.

Now all of a sudden having Barrie becomes critically important.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
this give Dermott a chance to step up and will give the leafs a chance to see if he can elevate his game. Big time chance for him to show he can be more than he has been this year. He will man the 2nd unit i would assume unless they give it to Sandin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad