The Sun: Morgan Rielly NOT Being Released to WJC

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
After last year, when it comes to Reilly, Team Canada can go **** themselves.

Can't believe this franchise hired Spott after that disgrace.

That's the first thing I thought of too after they hired Spott. Having said that, I personally believe another year in the WHL and world juniors would have done Reilly good. Another year of dominating and upping his confidence level would have served him well for years to come. I still sense some self doubt with him right now. With his skill set, he should just know he belongs.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
What he needs more than anything is a steady veteran bonafide top 4 D to help him. Someone that will let Rielly play his game and be comfortable out there. Franson, Ranger, and Fraser have been god awful and it frustrates me to see these goofs out there ****ing over Rielly and destroying his confidence. They should feel ashamed. A guy like Ference in Edmonton would have been good.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
rielly isnt the leafs problem. kid is making rookie mistakes but thats how you learn. the bigger issue is that franson and gardiner have been unable to play like they did in the playoffs and fraser has looked pretty ordinary as well.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
rielly isnt the leafs problem. kid is making rookie mistakes but thats how you learn. the bigger issue is that franson and gardiner have been unable to play like they did in the playoffs and fraser has looked pretty ordinary as well.

ordinary is a nice way of putting it

can't even play a 7th D position right now.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Well it seems the majority agree with you. Here's to hoping in a year or two we aren't reading ducking lMLSE rushing their prospects they don't know how to develop players. Cause that would be hypocritical and unlike the fans here.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Morgan Rielly got scratched again this past game. This is the 7th game out of 29 that he has been made a healthy scratch. When the Leafs Top 6 D-Men are all healthy, Morgan Rielly sits in the press box. Except for those couple of games where the Leafs dressed 7 defenseman and 11 forwards. If you are only going to play Morgan Rielly in a injury replacement or occasional #7 D-Man role, you might as well release him to the WJCs. Since he's not allowed to play in the AHL at the moment apparently.

While Morgan Rielly's 5v5 point production metrics are solid, his Corsi metrics are poor relative to all Leafs D-Men save for Mark Fraser when you take into account that he has the largest offensive zone start bias among Leafs D-Men.

Morgan Rielly is more deserving of the #6 spot than Mark Fraser at this point though. Mark Fraser should be the Depth/Occasional #7 D-Man, not Rielly. We also have John-Michael Liles and TJ Brennan at our disposal. Calling Liles back up to the senior team will only cost us 925k in cap space (since only 925k of his 3.875m is saved when buried in he minors). I don't see why the Leafs are not giving Liles a look. He is not a bum. Was utilized in a top 4 role. I'm sure he is at least still useful in a top 6 role. TJ Brennan is not a bum either. He was a NHL regular last season.

Last edited:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Morgan Rielly got scratched again this past game. This is the 7th game out of 29 that he has been made a healthy scratch. When the Leafs Top 6 D-Men are all healthy, Morgan Rielly sits in the press box. Except for those couple of games where the Leafs dressed 7 defenseman and 11 forwards. If you are only going to play Morgan Rielly in a injury replacement or occasional #7 D-Man role, you might as well release him to the WJCs. Since he's not allowed to play in the AHL at the moment apparently.

While Morgan Rielly's 5v5 point production metrics are solid, his Corsi metrics are poor relative to all Leafs D-Men save for Mark Fraser when you take into account that he has the largest offensive zone start bias among Leafs D-Men.

Morgan Rielly is more deserving of the #6 spot than Mark Fraser at this point though. Mark Fraser should be the Depth/Occasional #7 D-Man, not Rielly. We also have John-Michael Liles and TJ Brennan at our disposal. Calling Liles back up to the senior team will only cost us 925k in cap space (since only 925k of his 3.875m is saved when buried in he minors). I don't see why the Leafs are not giving Liles a look. He is not a bum. Was utilized in a top 4 role. I'm sure he is at least still useful in a top 6 role. TJ Brennan is not a bum either. He was a NHL regular last season.

It's because Randy Carlyle is the coach. He's got some inexplicable man crush on Fraser.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Expect Morgan Rielly to be loaned to Team Canada. He will return to the Leafs around January 6th, unless the Leafs opt to send him back to Moose Jaw.

The signal to this is JM Liles, Claude Loiselle said yesterday there was no room for him, and unless an undisclosed injury has happened, Morgan Rielly will likely find himself wearing a different Maple Leaf come Boxing Day.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
funny, I think a lot of people said WHL would have been a better place for Rielly to develop while others were ecstatic when he wasn't.

Should have been WHL and then 1 year in the AHL. In the WHL, he would have learnt to round out his offensive side of his game. He's still a bit raw

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
funny, I think a lot of people said WHL would have been a better place for Rielly to develop while others were ecstatic when he wasn't.

Should have been WHL and then 1 year in the AHL. In the WHL, he would have learnt to round out his offensive side of his game. He's still a bit raw

Lol what? His offensive game is his biggest strength, he might be the best offensive dman we have atm.

If anything it's his defensive game that needs to be worked on, handling "men" down low as opposed to the boys he would be facing in jr.

I'm completely fine with Rielly being up here. If he was in the WHL it's only a 72 game season anyways.

Even if he plays 60 games up here (read - 11 more healthy scratches) he's developing fine.

I wouldn't be upset if he gets released to the WJ, go and play a bunch of concentrated games where he's the best player on the ice, and possibly in the tournament. And then come back renewed, with confidence and hopefully gold hanging from his neck

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

lol did you just say we should have kept Rielly in juniors this year AND then the ahl next year?

Well at least it's not as bad an opinion as the guy who was here a month or so ago who said he should have saw 2-3 years in the AHl after this year in junior just because that's what we did with Kadri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad