He doesn't pick up points for all his talents? Really? :shakehead

Franson: TOI: 545:01, PP/TOI: 74:46, Pts: 13
Phaneuf: TOI: 627:48 PP/TOI: 83:58 Pts: 10
Rielly: TOI: 352:04 PP/TOI: 34:32 Pts: 8
Ranger: TOI: 461:58 PP/TOI: 13:42 Pts: 6
Gardiner: TOI: 507:31 PP/TOI: 49:16 Pts: 6
Gunnarsson: TOI: 522:26 PP/TOI: 5:42 Pts: 1
Fraser: TOI: 164:56 PP/TOI: 0:00 Pts: 1

Rielly's offensive production relative to his TOI and PP/TOI has actually been very good for a 19 y/o rookie. Comparable to, or better than our other offensive Dmen. What do you expect?

And re his defensive play... sure, he'll make mistakes, but that's to be expected considering his age. But to me, it seems that in the majority of breakdowns that occur when he's on the ice it's been his partner that screwed up, not him. How many times have Franson and Ranger either turned the puck over or been caught up ice, leaving Rielly as the last guy back on a two-on-one? Fraser was his partner the other night and he made two gaffes that directly resulted in goals against.

I'm lovin' what I'm seeing from Rielly. The kid is going to be something else.

Stop using facts it clouds the issue.....agree 100%

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's too bad Rielly is not good enough to play for Team Canada, after tonight's loss no fault of Morgan's, I would sooner have him away from this situation unless things turn around.

But Team Canada does not want Morgan I hear. Too bad, they could use a good player like him.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
ya but these facts are what modern sporrts team use ........our 8 million dollar guy sucks likley

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
It's too bad Rielly is not good enough to play for Team Canada, after tonight's loss no fault of Morgan's, I would sooner have him away from this situation unless things turn around.

But Team Canada does not want Morgan I hear. Too bad, they could use a good player like him.

Canada doesn't want Morgan for WJC? I can't imagine why. How many teenager Dmen have already earned spots on NHL clubs? The only reason I could think of is because they want guys that have had huge roles on their (junior) teams so that they're getting guys who are in the full swing of the season. (They might see Rielly as having in-and-out-of-the-lineup rust or something.)

Too bad. Rielly perhaps has struggled at time playing against the best hockey players in the world, but against people his own age he would remember how good he really is.

And if things get ugly here (not a certainty, but definitely a possibility), I don't really think he needs to experience that type of season just yet.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

Do you have any sort of source for that at all?

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
With rielly's play tonight? Not surprised. He was very weak on D along with Fraser. I thought ranger outplayed him. Gardiner has been good since getting scratched

snizzbone*

Team Canada clearly does want Rielly.. he was invited to the summer camp and did not play any games along with MacKinnon and I think Drouin, because they were 100% locks.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Kinda sad the Leafs do not have the depth to release Rielly to the WJC... a problem

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Morgan had many good looking moments last night, but the one that will make a lasting impression is his bank out of the zone with 2 Sharks bearing down on him to 2 Leafs standing around. Not the best play, but one that you can't blame on a raw rookie. He looked devastated at the bench after that play, this is the danger of playing a 19 year old against one of the best teams in the NHL. I hope he has the stones to learn from this, I recall a talented young Jim Benning losing his confidence as a 19 year old with the Leafs. How he bounces back will be key to his development.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Morgan had many good looking moments last night, but the one that will make a lasting impression is his bank out of the zone with 2 Sharks bearing down on him to 2 Leafs standing around. He looked devasted at the bench after that play, this is the danger of playing a 19 year old against one of the best teams in the NHL. I hope he has the stones to learn from this, I recall a talented young Jim Benning losing his confidence as a 19 year old with the Leafs. How he bounces back will be key to his development.

We agree on this. It was a risk though in m opinion it was a poor risk to take.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Just to be clear, I thought he had a good game overall, especially with rushing the puck. He had one or two mistakes that people will focus on. Less mistakes than Jake Gardiner who many keep saying is playing well despite fumbling the puck, and skating into the boards by himself.

Rielly is progressing, I just hate to see him get down on himself for a late play where players were just watching him and not getting open for a pass. This is why he had to bank the puck off the boards when 2 Sharks were bearing down on him.

There is no doubt he would be the top defenceman on Team Canada if Leafs released him based on what I have seen in his play.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just to be clear, I thought he had a good game overall, especially with rushing the puck. He had one or two mistakes that people will focus on. Less mistakes than Jake Gardiner who many keep saying is playing well despite fumbling the puck, and skating into the boards by himself.

Rielly is progressing, I just hate to see him get down on himself for a late play where players were just watching him and not getting open for a pass. This is why he had to bank the puck off the boards when 2 Sharks were bearing down on him.

There is no doubt he would be the top defenceman on Team Canada if Leafs released him based on what I have seen in his play.

He has good bad games routinely. There is enough good to show us all he is talented and enough bad to show he is just not ready for prime time NHL play.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Morgan had many good looking moments last night, but the one that will make a lasting impression is his bank out of the zone with 2 Sharks bearing down on him to 2 Leafs standing around. Not the best play, but one that you can't blame on a raw rookie. He looked devastated at the bench after that play, this is the danger of playing a 19 year old against one of the best teams in the NHL. I hope he has the stones to learn from this, I recall a talented young Jim Benning losing his confidence as a 19 year old with the Leafs. How he bounces back will be key to his development.

.....wait? You two agree on something?

*checks sky for flying pigs* :laugh:

It would be nice if the Leafs did release him for the tournament though.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
he was responsible for 3 of the 4 goals.

but even Bobby had a bad game. once I think

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Team Canada does want Rielly and if the leafs were to agree to release him he would be added to the list and a virtual lock to make the team. The leafs haven't committed to releasing him thus he wasn't named to the selection camp roster just like other junior eligible players were not named, Mackinnon, Wilson and Monahan. Wild already committed to releasing Dumba, thus he was named to the selection camp roster.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011

Doesn't help when the idiot coach pulls the goalie when you don't have possession and your worst defensive pairing is on the ice.

Rookie mistakes need to be expected, coaching mistakes are worse.

he was responsible for 3 of the 4 goals.

but even Bobby had a bad game. once I think

Ok well first of all, that first one is pure luck. It just deflected on him and went perfectly through the five-hole. 9/10 times that doesn't go in. 2nd one he was "responsible for" had the worst 4th line in the entire league on the ice for 1:82 with the worst pairing defensively for the Leafs. Not saying Rielly didn't make a mistake, but once again, a bad coaching decision led to the goal. And as I mentioned above, the EN goal he made a bad decision but pullling your goalie with 2 minutes left when you don't have possession and your worst pairing defensively is on the ice is equally bad. Rielly hasn't been perfect, and certainly wasn't expected to be, but Carlyle and Nonis are not making it easy for him.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I still think Rielly could be freed up for Team Canada but only if Nonis makes a trade. The fact Nonis hasn't closed the door on the possibility suggests he has something in the works. I'd love to see Rielly on big ice again.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Really intelligent decision here by Leafs, I mean, why would you risk your most highly touted young Dman getting valuable big game experience with Team Canada just so he can play sheltered minutes, if he even plays.....

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Really intelligent decision here by Leafs, I mean, why would you risk your most highly touted young Dman getting valuable big game experience with Team Canada just so he can play sheltered minutes, if he even plays.....

Please guys its not like Rielly rides the pine often. He's a regular in our D rotation (when all are healthy) and when he does play he logs a lot of minutes.

WJC is a good tournament but there is no way attending is going to be better experience than actually playing NHL games and getting the minutes he is.

Also consider that there is an Olympic break this season, sending him to the WJC and then having a long break a few weeks later could really mess up his flow.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
He had one or two mistakes that people will focus on. Less mistakes than Jake Gardiner who many keep saying is playing well despite fumbling the puck, and skating into the boards by himself.

At the NHL level, one or two mistakes is what loses you a game.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Wow this is a joke.

Rielly goes from our 2nd best defenceman... should be Phaneuf's partner to a guy who should be at the WJC according to ppl

I dont mind loaning NHLers who dont play regularly (Dumba, Pietrangelo, Schenn), but things have rarely worked out when "full-time" NHLers like Brett Connolly and DSP have been loaned.

Could Rielly benefit from a slower game pace? Maybe for his confidence, but it sure as hell wont teach him how to position himself in the d-zone. Thats his big weakness he needs to work on

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Rielly is now a team worst -11 +/-

Perhaps the WJC would be good for his development?

He already played there. He will improve his NHL defense by playing in the NHL not playing at a kids tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad