The Sun: Morgan Rielly NOT Being Released to WJC

Mimico

Good Ol' Mimico Boy
Aug 25, 2013
Tarana, Ontario
IMO Rielly is a MUCH better hockey player than Fraser/Ranger and this decision implies that the Leaf's brass feels the same way. Nothing beats NHL experience.

snizzbone*

Rielly is now a team worst -11 +/-

Perhaps the WJC would be good for his development?

+/- is an irrelevant stat.

If you watch the games Rielly is usually not at fault. He's made some bad plays, but it seems like he gets hung out to dry by his defense partner on a gamely basis.

We need someone he can play with, its not good when hes one of the most reliable guys on the team.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
If you actually watch Rielly play, instead of just looking at that stat, you would know that some of those weren't his fault. Whether it be Franson early on, or Ranger/Fraser, he has been left out to dry on some goals.

Yes he's made mistakes, so has EVERYONE on our defense. I think Rielly has actually played pretty good for a rookie. And its funny how Rielly has to bail out his own teammates a lot of times.

In most situations, you want Rielly to be paired with a good veteran D man to guide him along, he has to find his own way in the NHL at 19 years old, because his D partner usually sucks a whole lot of...

Apr 1, 2010
After last year, when it comes to Reilly, Team Canada can go **** themselves.

Can't believe this franchise hired Spott after that disgrace.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

If you watch the games Rielly is usually not at fault. He's made some bad plays, but it seems like he gets hung out to dry by his defense partner on a gamely basis.

We need someone he can play with, its not good when hes one of the most reliable guys on the team.

Oh please its more like he's the one hanging out his partner. Rielly is always jumping up into the attack and pinching. Just look at all the goals it has gotten him.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Oh please its more like he's the one hanging out his partner. Rielly is always jumping up into the attack and pinching. Just look at all the goals it has gotten him.

Are we watching the same games? I've never seen a player (let alone a rookie) have to deal with so many 2 on 1's.

Ridiculous.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...rielly-to-canadian-world-junior-team-gm-says/

TORONTO — There is still a chance the Toronto Maple Leafs will loan teenaged defenceman Morgan Rielly to the Canadian team for the world junior championship later this month, with that availability to be determined by the ice time he logs over the next week or so in the NHL.

The 19-year-old has appeared in 22 games with the Leafs this year, and while it appears the team would rather keep him in Toronto, the window to send him to Sweden with the juniors has not closed.

“It’s unlikely, but it’s not impossible,” Leafs general manager Dave Nonis said Wednesday. “In the event that he’s not playing regularly, or there’s a change in our roster … I wouldn’t say that he’s off the table. But I wouldn’t say it’s likely.”

The Canadian junior team has already named its preliminary roster, and will converge in Toronto for workouts next week. Players and staff are scheduled to land Thursday, skate on Friday, and play a team of Canadian university players on Saturday.

It is believed the deadline to add NHL players to the junior roster will fall on Dec. 19, which would leave the Leafs plenty of time to make a decision. And since Rielly played for the junior team last year, his presence might not be required from the very start of the orientation camp.

“I’m not sure if Morgan’s situation might not be a little different, because he’s been there before, and doesn’t necessarily need the orientation that maybe some of the others would,” Nonis said. “We’ll probably go the next week or 10 days and see where we’re at.”

Rielly’s availability for the tournament was renewed as a talking point on Tuesday, after he was on the ice for all three of the even-strength goals the San Jose Sharks scored en route to a 4-2 win at Air Canada Centre. He appeared to be treading water, at times.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Rielly is better suited with the club, although this next week or two will be a test for our whole team, not just Rielly.

glg51*

Are we watching the same games? I've never seen a player (let alone a rookie) have to deal with so many 2 on 1's.

Ridiculous.

Rielly and others make bad pinches all the time. Only thing is Rielly can't play a lick of defense and whenever he's back by himself he gets schooled on 2 on 1s and people blame the other partner.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

He's 3rd on our team in d-scoring, 1 point behind Phaneuf and 4 points behind Franson in 6 and 4 games less respectively. Although you were trying to be sarcastic... just look at all the goals it has gotten the TEAM. Just so you know, an assist is just as good as a goal :handclap:

Ridiculous.

Some people don't watch the game.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Oh, and Rielly is tied for 4th in rookie d points, 7 behind the leader and 2 behind 2nd. With two of the players having played in the NHL at some point last year. (Krug [1st], DeKeyser [T-4th])

He's also tied 4th in ALL rookie assists. 2 behind the league lead (Nathan Mackinnon) and tied 1st in rookie d assists.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Up until last night I would have kept Rielly with the Leafs, but after hearing Reimer intercepted Carlyle in saying he wanted to have a word with Morgan, I have had a change of heart. Would ilke the Leafs to send him to the World Juniors where he can get a tonne of ice time, and dominate the tournament. Think this is exactly the boost in confidence he needs now. He looked pretty down after the empty net goal, that bothers me as it probably bothered Reimer. Good on Reimer to lend him a shoulder.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
IMO Rielly is a MUCH better hockey player than Fraser/Ranger and this decision implies that the Leaf's brass feels the same way. Nothing beats NHL experience.

I would disagree. Playing with highly skilled teammates in a more competitive environment is the place to be for Rielly because face it, being in the middle of an NHL season when your team is slumping is different than playing for team Canada and going for gold. Plus playing with skilled players and seeing what they try on the ice should help give him a different perspective on how to play the game... a different way to clear the puck or fakes to make in the mid zone, etc....

It would give also Leaf brass an opportunity to promote an OFD from the farm team just to show that they aren't forgotten.

snizzbone*

Rielly and others make bad pinches all the time. Only thing is Rielly can't play a lick of defense and whenever he's back by himself he gets schooled on 2 on 1s and people blame the other partner.

...Usually he does a decent job on the 2 on 1s.. how can you blame the guy back on those either? It's not his fault its a 2 on 1.. at least when he causes 2 on 1s he actually gets back and helps. When Fraser or Franson turn it over they can't get back to help.

I really don't understand why you hate Rielly so much. I know you're probably trolling, but the dedication you have to the cause is just mind blowing. It seems like your whole purpose in life is to make Rielly out to be some terrible player which is just baffling.

BozakKadriKessel

May 26, 2010
St.John's Canada
Hockey Canada issued that statement or did the media? If it were official it would be posted on hockey Canada's website.

I can say things too, Ovi is a lock for the RR and heart trophy this year. Does it make it true? No.

You are insane if you honestly believe that Reilly would not be on canada's junior team. It's actually laughable to see you post this. Last year in junior he put up 54 points in 60 games on a bad moose jaw team.. I do believe he was named also d of the league... He is placed in the nhl with a huge step up in competition and for the most part struggled, but the struggles are mainly in his own end. His skating and offensive vision have been outstanding for a kid his age. It is a learning curve that he must adapt to. Many young d men showcase this type of development. If Toronto released him to the junior team he instantly becomes one of if not THE best d on that team no ifs and or buts about it.. Cmon

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

No one is saying he doesn't make bad pinches or have defensive lapses, but to equate rookie mistakes with not being effective at all is a huge stretch. It's pretty fair to say that most of his partners (Franson Ranger Fraser) have a share in the blame for poor defensive play while on the ice together but this doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to play here.

He's going to get more points then Dougie Hamilton (ppg ratio) did in his first year, and currently already has more points then him this year, except he doesn't have Dennis Siedenberg to back him up.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Up until last night I would have kept Rielly with the Leafs, but after hearing Reimer intercepted Carlyle in saying he wanted to have a word with Morgan, I have had a change of heart. Would ilke the Leafs to send him to the World Juniors where he can get a tonne of ice time, and dominate the tournament. Think this is exactly the boost in confidence he needs now. He looked pretty down after the empty net goal, that bothers me as it probably bothered Reimer. Good on Reimer to lend him a shoulder.

What if RC just told Rielly not to let it bother him and just to choose his battles more wisely? I don't understand how the coach doing his job is a negative?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
IMHO they should be sending him to the world jr's. Not so much about development as much as the confidence boost.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
IMHO they should be sending him to the world jr's. Not so much about development as much as the confidence boost.

Here is my question though: Would he really be getting a confidence boost??

Imagine telling Morgan whose been on the NHL team all year that he is getting sent to go play with teenagers for a month. Then if he goes and absolutely dominates its because he should. If he makes some mistakes, he will get ripped.

Remember when Tampa sent Connolly, he looked disinterested for all the leadup, and while he did have a good tournament, he struggled when he got sent back to Tampa

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
NHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WJC

It would not be anything more then a fun experience for him at this stage. But if he is benched it is of course better for him to play elsewere.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

you hit it bang on .....on half of those goals hes the first guy back or the only guy back,,on a 2 on 1 everybody in hockey can see hes has a chance to be dynamic ,,,,,,and he plays with emotion ,u gotta love it ....dont go by pus /minus .......he gets on with the 4th line alot ,,,,and frankly how can broll amd leivo not be at least 4th line ......screw the fighting crap ,we need guys that take a pass against the wall.....half of the goals against reily is on for starts with forewards inability to simply chip the puck out .....

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Oh, and Rielly is tied for 4th in rookie d points, 7 behind the leader and 2 behind 2nd. With two of the players having played in the NHL at some point last year. (Krug [1st], DeKeyser [T-4th])

He's also tied 4th in ALL rookie assists. 2 behind the league lead (Nathan Mackinnon) and tied 1st in rookie d assists.

Zero goals and Zero defensive presence, not the he won't be good someday he just isn't NHL caliber yet.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Zero goals and Zero defensive presence, not the he won't be good someday he just isn't NHL caliber yet.

blame the kid ......cant possibly be we got 16 million dollars in 2 forwards who dont always get good scoring chances ,reilly didnt cost us the san jose game ......and besides if he was indeed struggling which moron gave him 20 minutes of ice .......rather lose with kids ,bggest lame excuse is blaming young players ,the leafs are still rebuilding ,if we gotta go panic now and go with all vets just to finish 8th i say fire randy and nonis!!!!!!!!

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
People are looking too far into one game and maybe into his rookie season. I thought Luke Schenn had an amazing season, now he looks like a third pairing defenseman. Erik Karlsson wasn't very good defensively in his first year, and he wasnt putting up any huge numbers.

I think Rielly should get more ice time, he should now be starting to see where he messed up. He's gonna come back stronger next game I think.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
As much as i want Rielly to go to the WJC and absolutely dominate the tournament i think he will stay and i will be okay with it. He has played well and will learn from his mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad