The Sun: Morgan Rielly NOT Being Released to WJC

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
As per this article in the Toronto Sun:

Team Canada's loss will be the Maple Leafs' gain.

An NHL blueline that needs all the help it can get at this point in the season means Toronto rookie Morgan Rielly will not be part of the world junior team that will travel to Sweden over the Christmas holidays.

Instead, the Sun has learned that when the selection camp roster is announced on Monday, the 19-year-old defenceman, a first-round pick in 2012, will not be released by the Leafs to represent Canada for a second consecutive season.

I think this is a pretty dumb decision by the Leafs. He's not playing every game and is hardly an integral part of the blueline. Liles can replace him quite easily for a few weeks. Let the kid have some fun, play for his country and gain some valuable leadership experience.

BayStreetBullies*

Or maybe he will be an integral part of the blue line, which is why he won't be released for the WJC.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Not suprised.. Wjc will do nothing for his development. Playing in the nhl all year will, IMO, speed up his development. I could also see a potential trade going down, like gardiner leaving town, which leaves an extra roster spot open for rielly

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am not sure they would want him. It's not like he has done anything goods this year. He has been poor defensively in the NHL and he doesn't pick up points for all his talents.

H shouldn't even be in the NHL yet, or playing for that you know what Carlyle.

Don't see anything Liles wouldn't bring without the kid liabilities

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
This.

Absolutely no point releasing him to play a far lower level of hockey. It's about the furthest thing from 'dumb' there is.

Not to mention it decreases the chance of Finn playing by a lot. I'd like to see him play there since I've only seem him play a few times

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not to mention it decreases the chance of Finn playing by a lot. I'd like to see him play there since I've only seem him play a few times

Matt Finn is pretty damn good. I think considering the second round grab, he may the biggest surprise of that draft year.(for a D)

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I am not sure they would want him. It's not like he has done anything goods this year. He has been poor defensively in the NHL and he doesn't pick up points for all his talents.

H shouldn't even be in the NHL yet, or playing for that you know what Carlyle.

Don't see anything Liles wouldn't bring without the kid liabilities

You don't think the world junior team would want him? How does that make any sense....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You don't think the world junior team would want him? How does that make any sense....

Team Canada takes players who are playing well. They take the BPA. Rielly has not shown anything they can sink there teeth into tbh. Close to 3 goals against per 60 minutes, low point totals. Not really sure he makes a case here.

Hockey Canada probably told TML that he was not being taken and TmL put it out there he is not allowed, a kind way of doing it.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Matt Finn is pretty damn good. I think considering the second round grab, he may the biggest surprise of that draft year.(for a D)

Agreed but vancouvers prospect Ben Hutton picked in the 5th round looks like he could possibly be the steal of the draft. They're quite good with their later picks

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
He's in the NHL. It's a waste of time sending him down a couple of levels of hockey. The only time it makes sense is when the player isn't playing at all. We don't send surgeons back to medical school or make tradesmen apprentices again.

BayStreetBullies*

Team Canada takes players who are playing well. They take the BPA. Rielly has not shown anything they can sink there teeth into tbh. Close to 3 goals against per 60 minutes, low point totals. Not really sure he makes a case here.

Hockey Canada probably told TML that he was not being taken and TmL put it out there he is not allowed, a kind way of doing it.

You say he's been a defensive liability. Another way of looking at it is that he's a rookie who's had partners on defence which tend to get caught out of position, and Rielly also ends up suffering for it. Not to mention being scratched in favour of guys like Fraser who provide a physical presence, but don't nearly offer as much as Rielly does. The points will come for him, as long as he gets the minutes he needs and doesn't have to consistently pick up the slack for others.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

You ever hear of a guy named Alex Pietrangelo? Wrong again. Again.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You say he's been a defensive liability. Another way of looking at it is that he's a rookie who's had partners on defence which tend to get caught out of position, and Rielly also ends up suffering for it. Not to mention being scratched in favour of guys like Fraser who provide a physical presence, but don't nearly offer as much as Rielly does. The points will come for him, as long as he gets the minutes he needs and doesn't have to consistently pick up the slack for others.

What I am saying is in the eyes of Hockey Canada do you not think they know he has been a scratch? I think it very much so matters how he performs when it comes to selecting who represents all of Canada.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Meh I would have liked Rielly at the WJC simply because I want Team Canada to win, and he would have easily helped in that cause.

Also, Team Canada would take Rielly in a nano-second over anybody else eligible to go. Easily. You're crazy if you can't see that he would likely dominate a tournament like that.

Rielly is at the right place though for his development. It's a tough learning curve. I'd rather him play through the tough times and not sit over someone like Ranger who is struggling badly with inconsistency.

BayStreetBullies*

What I am saying is in the eyes of Hockey Canada do you not think they know he has been a scratch? I think it very much so matters how he performs when it comes to selecting who represents all of Canada.

I think it's fairly obvious that Rielly is being scratched to accommodate Fraser in the line-up. If Team Canada thinks otherwise, then so much the better. I'd rather have Rielly stay with the Leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't get what you are trying to say. Are you saying Rielly is as good as Pi? I hope you aren't for your namesake.

Try to follow along, it's simple. I was responding to your blanket statement:

Team Canada takes players who are playing well. They take the BPA.

Pietrangelo was struggling in the NHL the year St. Louis sent him to the Worlds and Team Canada welcomed him, and he was the best Defenceman in that tournament.

Thus, your assertion is still dead wrong.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Try to follow along, it's simple. I was responding to your blanket statement:

Pietrangelo was struggling and not as good as Rielly is this year when St. Louis sent him to the Worlds where Team Canada welcomed him, and he was the best Defenceman in that tournament.

Thus, your assertion was dead wrong.

Alex only played 8 and 9 games respectively his first two years and the team sent him back down. Why do you constantly try to relate things that are not relative. It's mind boggling.

For the record I have always maintained Rielly is not ready and shouldn't be here now.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
theremedial said:
:laugh: He was a lock for Team Canada. This was known in the Summer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Alex only played 8 and 9 games respectively his first two years and the team sent him back down. Why do you constantly try to relate things that are not relative. It's mind boggling.

For the record I have always maintained Rielly is not ready and shouldn't be here now.

Let's do this again.

You said:
Team Canada takes players who are playing well. They take the BPA.

I said: Have you ever heard of Alex Pietrangleo?

Rielly is certainly playing better than Alex was at the time where talk of Team Canada Juniors was discussed and Team Canada picked Pietrangelo.

You said: Team Canada does not pick players that are not playing well. They did, when they picked Pietrangelo. Thus Rielly if Leafs released him would have been picked by Team Canada.

You are wrong on all accounts.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
:laugh: He was a lock for Team Canada. This was known in the Summer.

Hockey Canada issued that statement or did the media? If it were official it would be posted on hockey Canada's website.

I can say things too, Ovi is a lock for the RR and heart trophy this year. Does it make it true? No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad