Player Discussion Morgan Klimchuk, 1st Round, 28th Overall

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I should add that Klimchuk is still playing his off wing in Brandon as well from my understanding. This means that he has been used as a RW all year.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
no context as to why he is "producing fine, but not really lighting it up"?

Let's add some......

Once he returned from an injury that had him miss training camp Klimchuk was moved to his off wing and played with 2 WHL rookies on the teams 2nd line because Regina wanted him to help them develop. Now he is with a new team but finally getting first line minutes again he is putting up impressive numbers.

The kid is going to be a stud.

Bump on this thread. Interesting to see what people on here thought of him in 2013 and beyond. The comparisons are purely awful at times from people...

Anyways!

He looks like a strong compliment player. He is smart, uses his speed well, strong passer (was too strong of a passer for his Pats teammates, they often bobbled them) and likes to find a way to create turnovers along the boards. He is a player who shines when he has the right line mates with him and wasn't the least bit surprised at the results since the trade to Wheat Kings.

I'd expect him to have a couple AHL seasons with varying success depending on his line mates. He's still very much one of those "solid pro" candidates due to his intellect and skill.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Much time gone, since anyone read this...

I personally am not really a fan of Klimchuk and his style. What do you guys think he could fetch in a trade (maybe with addition of other pieces)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah - smart, hard-working players are a terrible thing to have.

I feel that his floor is a 10-15 goal scoring third line winger.
add in plays well in all three zones

but you nailed it. people are too damn impatient

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think he will be our next Nemisz. Never saw an NHL skill set. If you can't keep up to the play you don't stand a chance.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
And you keep making excuses for him because he's one of your boys.

I'm not a fan of Klimchuk, haven't been for a long time. He's slow. Sorry. I don't see him as an NHL player. Not an NHL skater. Not even an AHL level skater.

If you're small and you are both a) slow and b) limited offensively you will never be anything more then an NHL/AHL tweener.

To me he gets a high rating from our fan base and the hf community because he's a first rounder. But when I watch him I always come away unimpressed. That's ~20 viewings. When I see a player 20 times and come away thinking he hadn't done anything to stand out playing against his peers. How is he going to make an impact at the NHL level?

To me he doesn't sniff a top 10 prospect position for the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And you keep making excuses for him because he's one of your boys.

I'm not a fan of Klimchuk, haven't been for a long time. He's slow. Sorry. I don't see him as an NHL player. Not an NHL skater. Not even an AHL level skater.

If you're small and you are both a) slow and b) limited offensively you will never be anything more then an NHL/AHL tweener.

To me he gets a high rating from our fan base and the hf community because he's a first rounder. But when I watch him I always come away unimpressed. That's ~20 viewings. When I see a player 20 times and come away thinking he hadn't done anything to stand out playing against his peers. How is he going to make an impact at the NHL level?

To me he doesn't sniff a top 10 prospect position for the Flames.

if you saw him 20 times you would know he isn't slow :laugh: you need to stop making **** up. but I am done replying to this nonsense :laugh:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Don't worry, he's probably never watched him :laugh:

Just spewing what these other people are saying just to look like he knows what he is talking about.

5+ viewings with the pats
At least 5 last year with the Wheat kings
(I watch the WHL playoffs every year and usually I follow the elite teams Kelowna/Brandon last year. Portland Edmonton previously, Hitmen every year)

Plus I've seen him in multiple rookie camps and prospect tourneys.. And he's been very mediocre. Playing against his peers. Players that are mediocre against their peers are not the ones that make a jump to the NHL.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
(I watch the WHL playoffs every year and usually I follow the elite teams Kelowna/Brandon last year. Portland Edmonton previously, Hitmen every year)

Plus I've seen him in multiple rookie camps and prospect tourneys.. And he's been very mediocre. Playing against his peers. Players that are mediocre against their peers are not the ones that make a jump to the NHL.
I'm sure you have. :rolleyes:

Just because he's not super flashy with elite skating doesn't mean that he is mediocre, my god. What do you honestly expect from the kid?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Personally, Klimchuk's skating has never seemed an issue to me. He's always looked to have above average speed, coupled with the fact that always knows where to be ice, that shouldn't hinder him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

To call him slow is just nonsense.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa

Bro, you’re wrong. Sorry.

Klimchuk isn’t slow by any means

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's the third season after his draft year. Is he close to being a call up?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's the third season after his draft year. Is he close to being a call up?

No. There are probably 5-6 guys ahead of him right now, even with Granny in the NHL.

This season is about getting his feet wet, hopefully he can turn the corner next year and breakout.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Serious question, would you guys trade Klimmer for Sven if there was no history there?

No, we got a top line offensive LW with Gaudreau. Sven is straight up top 6 or nothing in the NHL, essentially another Omark. Klimchuk seems the type of player even if he doesn't pan out in the top 6 could potentially be quite effective on the third line, ala a Stempniak. A guy who at least on a temporary basis could slide up and down the lineup if injuries occur.

Klimmer could at least be a fourth liner call up if he tops out as a fringe NHLer, wheras Sven wouldn't work in that scenario

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Serious question, would you guys trade Klimmer for Sven if there was no history there?

For the very simple reason that we probably have close to the best LW depth in the league (Johnny/Bennett*/Ferland/Bouma) I'll go with the guy who can successfully play his off-wing in Klimchuk,

*Even With Bennett at C, I like Granlund at LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad