Player Discussion Morgan Klimchuk, 1st Round, 28th Overall

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
People are impatient in today's NHL. It used to frequently take 5+ years after being drafted for players to sniff the NHL. Some take longer than others. It doesn't matter that its three years after Klimmer was drafted. It's his first pro season. Some guys take 3-4 years in the AHL before being ready.

But everyone wants it now or bust, if they aren't on the roster during their ELCs they are useless. I hate this mentality

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's funny because all of Nyqvist, Tatar and Pulkkinen have been mentioned in serious trade rumors, e.g. Bouwmeester/Edler.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's true, imagine if the Wings had given up on Nyqvist, Tatar or Pulkkinen.

Wings do it right.
Bury them in Europe for a while, then bring them over to the AHL. Play a big role in the A until they're ready and bring'em up.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
People are impatient in today's NHL. It used to frequently take 5+ years after being drafted for players to sniff the NHL. Some take longer than others. It doesn't matter that its three years after Klimmer was drafted. It's his first pro season. Some guys take 3-4 years in the AHL before being ready.

But everyone wants it now or bust, if they aren't on the roster during their ELCs they are useless. I hate this mentality

It's been 5 yrs, the good players usually make it by now. He may end up being a bottom player somewhere but there is little value in those.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
It's been 5 yrs, the good players usually make it by now. He may end up being a bottom player somewhere but there is little value in those.

While I agree his potential is probably limited to bottom 6, he's only 22 years old and he's improved every season so far. He's a smart player with a strong defensive game, I think he could be a good 3rd liner in a year or two.

I think far too many people see a prospect turn 22 or 23 and immediately label them as busts if they aren't an impact player.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
While I agree his potential is probably limited to bottom 6, he's only 22 years old and he's improved every season so far. He's a smart player with a strong defensive game, I think he could be a good 3rd liner in a year or two.

I think far too many people see a prospect turn 22 or 23 and immediately label them as busts if they aren't an impact player.
Great post. Also Klimchuk has a phenomenal shot, moves the puck well and because of his IQ, he knows where to go in the offensive and defensive zones. When I watched him in junior, the way he would slide into open ice in the offensive zone, reminded me of Iginla. Overall his style of game is extremely comparable to both Backlund and Frolik, except I would say he is a little feistier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->