Player Discussion Morgan Klimchuk, 1st Round, 28th Overall

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Serious question, would you guys trade Klimmer for Sven if there was no history there?
No. Not a chance. I made the argument that Klimmer was as good or better of a prospect as Sven a while back and I still stand behind it. In fact I would say I was right. Klimchuk isn't going to be an elite offensive player, but he has a very good chance of being an excellent two-way middle 6 winger for us. He is hard working and very coachable, unlike the Swiss Miss who is lazy and entitled.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
No, we got a top line offensive LW with Gaudreau. Sven is straight up top 6 or nothing in the NHL, essentially another Omark. Klimchuk seems the type of player even if he doesn't pan out in the top 6 could potentially be quite effective on the third line, ala a Stempniak. A guy who at least on a temporary basis could slide up and down the lineup if injuries occur.

Klimmer could at least be a fourth liner call up if he tops out as a fringe NHLer, wheras Sven wouldn't work in that scenario
I don't think Stempniak is am apt comparison. Maybe offensively, but Klimchuk is more reliable on the defensive side of things.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't think Stempniak is am apt comparison. Maybe offensively, but Klimchuk is more reliable on the defensive side of things.

I have made the comparison of Klimchuk to Stempniak before in some ways. I was thinking offensively mostly. Although I don't think Stemp is a slouch defensively/physically either.

Although I think he has a higher hockey IQ thank Stemps.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I have made the comparison of Klimchuk to Stempniak before in some ways. I was thinking offensively mostly. Although I don't think Stemp is a slouch defensively/physically either.

Although I think he has a higher hockey IQ thank Stemps.
I think Klimchuk will be an excellent player defensively, with his smarts and work ethic he really excels in that area. I think offensively they are somewhat close although I would say Klimchuk is better at distributing the puck. But I see similarities in goal scoring especially. None of this is meant as a knock on Stempy, I love the guy and if he was willing to come back west I would welcome him back with open arms.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Klimchuk will be an excellent player defensively, with his smarts and work ethic he really excels in that area. I think offensively they are somewhat close although I would say Klimchuk is better at distributing the puck. But I see similarities in goal scoring especially. None of this is meant as a knock on Stempy, I love the guy and if he was willing to come back west I would welcome him back with open arms.

When I think of Stemps I think of a really well rounded player. Maybe I am overstating his defensive abilities though.

I think Klimchuk will be really well rounded too.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Serious question, would you guys trade Klimmer for Sven if there was no history there?

Seems like the Canuck fans are starting to like baertchi more, and want Willie to give him more ice time. Personally I would make that trade because I still have high hopes for Sven. I think klimchuk becomes a David Jones offensively wise.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
When I think of Stemps I think of a really well rounded player. Maybe I am overstating his defensive abilities though.

I think Klimchuk will be really well rounded too.
Agree I think he was well rounded too.

I actually think a better Klimchuk comparison is Backlund. Right down to being made of glass :sarcasm:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Anyone know if his skating has improved? At the last camp he didn't actually look as fast as I had hoped he would be. Stempniak has some good wheels when he wants to get going.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
well **** DFF has spoken, there is no hope now. If he isn't a top end player 14 games into his pro career all hope is lost.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm just glad he had the decency to apologize for spoiling the future for all of us. I would rather have watched it play out in suspense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm just glad he had the decency to apologize for spoiling the future for all of us. I would rather have watched it play out in suspense.

Wishing you had added the spoiler tag to this. Now that I know, it's not worth watching. I mean, you fast forward his progress twenty minutes, I'm runnin out of the theater.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like I've read this story by you before, maybe it's just me but I don't think so.

You dont have to agree with me...just check back in a couple years and tell me I am right ....:)

PS: As a long time Flames fan, I am full of experience watching busts.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You dont have to agree with me...just check back in a couple years and tell me I am right ....:)

PS: As a long time Flames fan, I am full of experience watching busts.

I to, as a long time Flames fan have seen lots of busts, and I've also seen guys like Ferland put it together after facing some adversity and make a career in the league for themselves. Klimmer may or may not bust, but making any definite statement today is just silly and you should know that, as a long time Flames fan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I to, as a long time Flames fan have seen lots of busts, and I've also seen guys like Ferland put it together after facing some adversity and make a career in the league for themselves. Klimmer may or may not bust, but making any definite statement today is just silly and you should know that, as a long time Flames fan.

Bit too early to bust Klimmer. I'd give him until the middle of next season to figure it out. I'd like him to continue to improve his output the rest of the way here to have a full-steam start for 2016-2017.

Clearly he's not going to be an NHL top line forward, but he could carve out a little niche for himself as a middle or bottom 6 player, two-way and that can chip in. As mentioned before, a guy like Stempy would be an excellent career for Morgan. Someone who'll chip in 10-20 goals, be a good defensive forward (where'd this myth of Stemps not being good defensively come from lol?) and just play the right way.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

DFF has never said anything positive about the Flames since he joined so he may be right sooner or later but it won't be be because of any special insight into the player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->