Player Discussion Morgan Geekie

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Geekie is a very good 4th liner who plays both center and RW. The Kraken put him at RW when they gave Shane Wright a run of games at 4C. It would be awesome if he all of a sudden is a top 6 C, but I am not counting on it. He has not shown the offensive skillset to be a top 6 C. Part of the reason he was only on the 4th line in Seattle was that they have so much depth at center (Beniers, Wennberg, Gourde, with Wright in the pipeline). His game was good enough to be a 3C, but wasn't good enough to jump over the other centers there.

My feeling is that DS is looking to put him at 3C if Bergy retires. Put him at 3RW or 4C if Bergy comes back. He is solid value at what the Bs signed him for and would certainly be a bargain if he blossoms with more opportunity than he got in Seattle. He was asked to play more of a defensive role being on the 4th line with the Kraken. Third line in Boston with a couple decent wingers and 3rd line minutes I think he is very capable of potting 20+ goals. If he doesn't, and just plays like he did in Seattle, it's still a good signing.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Imo Geekie has higher end potential(to put up points) than Freddy

Freddy could be a consistent 15/20 goal scorer moving forward

Geekie - 40 point scorer
I know I feel the same way potential speaking,
Geekie is a very good 4th liner who plays both center and RW. The Kraken put him at RW when they gave Shane Wright a run of games at 4C. It would be awesome if he all of a sudden is a top 6 C, but I am not counting on it. He has not shown the offensive skillset to be a top 6 C. Part of the reason he was only on the 4th line in Seattle was that they have so much depth at center (Beniers, Wennberg, Gourde, with Wright in the pipeline). His game was good enough to be a 3C, but wasn't good enough to jump over the other centers there.

My feeling is that DS is looking to put him at 3C if Bergy retires. Put him at 3RW or 4C if Bergy comes back. He is solid value at what the Bs signed him for and would certainly be a bargain if he blossoms with more opportunity than he got in Seattle. He was asked to play more of a defensive role being on the 4th line with the Kraken. Third line in Boston with a couple decent wingers and 3rd line minutes I think he is very capable of potting 20+ goals. If he doesn't, and just plays like he did in Seattle, it's still a good signing.
You're probably correct on that, after what Sweeney said a week ago about acting as if he isn't coming back. Sad but it is what it is.

Reactions: rocketdan9

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He's not playing wing here I don't think. He's taken 1200 face-offs in two years. I think that's part of why they wanted him. This team need centers and capable face-off guys. Big centers are in vogue right now.

And make no mistake, he's not here to center the 4th line either. I can guarantee this guy has multiple offers for the same (or better) terms than Boston. What sold him on Boston was the opportunity to play in a larger role.

He is going to center a scoring line on this team. There are 3 of them. Reality is he will likely see time with all of Boston's scoring line wingers, including Pasta at times. I also suspect he's going to get a look on the PP as well. He has decent touch in tight close to the net and is good at getting a blade on loose pucks in tight. Oh look, an opening in the bumper position for a right-handed shooter on the PP. Geekie has a good shot.

Even if Bergeron returns, Zacha is a more likely candidate to shift back to the wing than Geekie is. Where has Zacha proved he's a full-time center? He hasn't. Geekie has.

From a short and long-term value perspective, this signing may end up being the best UFA signing we've seen this summer. This isn't your typical "non-qualified" player.

They get him at a low number for his age 25 and 26 seasons. He's an RFA with arbitration rights after two years. If he works out here, then extend him 3-4 more years taking him to the ripe old age of 30.

Imagine if they get 5-6 prime years here of solid contributions at a good number. Heck of a lot better than all the money, term, and mistakes made by other GMs over the past few days for older, declining players

I usually cringe on July 1st for what I expect Sweeney to do given his past history. But this year, I think he knocked it out of the park with the players he signed, the money and term. And the biggest home-run is Geekie easily.

Hope your summer is going well!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He's not playing wing here I don't think. He's taken 1200 face-offs in two years. I think that's part of why they wanted him. This team need centers and capable face-off guys. Big centers are in vogue right now.

And make no mistake, he's not here to center the 4th line either. I can guarantee this guy has multiple offers for the same (or better) terms than Boston. What sold him on Boston was the opportunity to play in a larger role.

He is going to center a scoring line on this team. There are 3 of them. Reality is he will likely see time with all of Boston's scoring line wingers, including Pasta at times. I also suspect he's going to get a look on the PP as well. He has decent touch in tight close to the net and is good at getting a blade on loose pucks in tight. Oh look, an opening in the bumper position for a right-handed shooter on the PP. Geekie has a good shot.

Even if Bergeron returns, Zacha is a more likely candidate to shift back to the wing than Geekie is. Where has Zacha proved he's a full-time center? He hasn't. Geekie has.

From a short and long-term value perspective, this signing may end up being the best UFA signing we've seen this summer. This isn't your typical "non-qualified" player.

They get him at a low number for his age 25 and 26 seasons. He's an RFA with arbitration rights after two years. If he works out here, then extend him 3-4 more years taking him to the ripe old age of 30.

Imagine if they get 5-6 prime years here of solid contributions at a good number. Heck of a lot better than all the money, term, and mistakes made by other GMs over the past few days for older, declining players

I usually cringe on July 1st for what I expect Sweeney to do given his past history. But this year, I think he knocked it out of the park with the players he signed, the money and term. And the biggest home-run is Geekie easily.

lot of great information I think you provided about Geekie

Appreciate the time you took

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Summer is going great. Hope yours is as well.

Glad to see others on this board are as excited about Geekie as I am. 100% a great move from multiple angles by DS.

You make a lot of good points. Agree with you about his potential to be on the PP. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see him on the PP. Part of why I said I think he can get 20+ goals next season.

Going to be very interesting to see what his ceiling is. Geekie is hungry and coming to a team where he should get every opportunity to be successful while not being held back due to depth at C like he experienced in Seattle. I'm sensing he is a late bloomer who is going to raise some eyebrows in Boston.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If Bergeron comes back, that would push Coyle back to 3C... I wonder if they would consider playing Geekie at RW with 63&37?

I know he’s not a first liner but I think there could be some value to the experiment. Playing with Marchand and Bergeron would teach him a lot about consistency and bringing it every night. He’s the kind of player that likes to go to the front of the net and that could fit well with Marchy making plays and Bergy as the shooter. A right shot on RW opens up some FO plays. I don’t think it would be a stretch for him to go from 28 points on the 4th li e to 40 points as the net front guy on a top6 line… And putting DeBrusk with Pasta helps replace Krejci’s point totals on that line.

Marchand - Bergeron - Geekie
DeBrusk - Zacha - Pastrnak

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If Bergeron comes back, that would push Coyle back to 3C... I wonder if they would consider playing Geekie at RW with 63&37?

I know he’s not a first liner but I think there could be some value to the experiment. Playing with Marchand and Bergeron would teach him a lot about consistency and bringing it every night. He’s the kind of player that likes to go to the front of the net and that could fit well with Marchy making plays and Bergy as the shooter. A right shot on RW opens up some FO plays. I don’t think it would be a stretch for him to go from 28 points on the 4th li e to 40 points as the net front guy on a top6 line… And putting DeBrusk with Pasta helps replace Krejci’s point totals on that line.

Marchand - Bergeron - Geekie
DeBrusk - Zacha - Pastrnak
Really like this idea. Bergy could even cheat a little on the draw knowing Geekie there to back him up.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Not sure if this was posted but I got bored and started searching Geekie…

The hockey
Writers wrote this about Geekie in 2022,

“Morgan Geekie

This season has been a difficult one for Morgan Geekie. He has registered career highs in goals, assists and points but hasn’t been given the opportunity he clearly deserves in the top-six. The former Tri-City American has the potential to be a consistent offensive threat in the NHL, and it would be a mistake for the Kraken to give up on him after just one season.

Another reason the Kraken should ensure Geekie is back next season is his ability to win faceoffs. Outside of Victor Rask, who has only taken six faceoffs with the Kraken this season, he has the best faceoff win percentage on the team. At 52.6 percent, he is the only regular faceoff taker with an above 50 win-rate percentage. The most impressive part of his faceoff game is his ability to win the draw in the defensive zone, where he has a 56.1 percent win rate in 171 faceoff attempts.”

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

The hockey

“Morgan Geekie

This season has been a difficult one for Morgan Geekie. He has registered career highs in goals, assists and points but hasn’t been given the opportunity he clearly deserves in the top-six. The former Tri-City American has the potential to be a consistent offensive threat in the NHL, and it would be a mistake for the Kraken to give up on him after just one season.

Another reason the Kraken should ensure Geekie is back next season is his ability to win faceoffs. Outside of Victor Rask, who has only taken six faceoffs with the Kraken this season, he has the best faceoff win percentage on the team. At 52.6 percent, he is the only regular faceoff taker with an above 50 win-rate percentage. The most impressive part of his faceoff game is his ability to win the draw in the defensive zone, where he has a 56.1 percent win rate in 171 faceoff attempts.”
Hoping he can emerge as this years' 'Zacha'

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

The hockey

“Morgan Geekie

That was real exciting to read until it got to the other two "must sign" players for the Kracken - Ryan Donato and Kole Lind.

I'm hoping for good things from him and that they don't have to ask too much.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Imagine if Zacha hits 70 points playing with Pasta and getting top line minutes while Geekie centers the 2nd line of Marchand/DeBrusk and gets 60. What a wild turn events that would be.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
That was real exciting to read until it got to the other two "must sign" players for the Kracken - Ryan Donato and Kole Lind.

I'm hoping for good things from him and that they don't have to ask too much.
He has been one of the best point producers relative to toi in the league for 2 years. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be better in more minutes, though. Sean Kuraly, for instance, I think was a prime example of that here.

I'm optimistic/excited about him and Boqvist, for similar reasons. I think they have a lot more to give and hopefully they take advantage of what's before them.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Imagine if Zacha hits 70 points playing with Pasta and getting top line minutes while Geekie centers the 2nd line of Marchand/DeBrusk and gets 60. What a wild turn events that would be.
Bruins put Terry OReilly with Peter McNab and he jumped to 90 and 78 points

I want to see Merkulov between 63 and 74 at least at TC

My friend said he came by recently/last week and grabbed a bunch of sticks - he’s around Providence and working out - but Providence is doing a bunch of construction inside and no ice so guessing at PC

He’s an interesting player grabbing first team all rookie Big 10 where Minnesota & Michigan reside in 2021 and first team All Rookie in AHL in 2922

Don’t sleep on him because he’s only 5’11 he’s competing all 3 zones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad