Player Discussion Morgan Geekie

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
This is a very good signing. My only concern is how he is planned on being used. At 4C he will win most matchups. He was productive last season with the Kraken in limited mins. Jury is out on what will happen if DS plans on having him play 3C. He has never played a lot of mins. He's young, so perhaps he is indeed good enough to play 3C and just needs the opportunity.

Watched the majority of Kraken games last season and Geekie stood out quite a bit for a guy who only played 10 mins per game. Geekie is able to play well in both a high and low pace game. He also is an in-your-face player. Doesn't hit a lot, but at the same time doesn't put up with any crap and can get physical when needed.

Hoping he ends up being like Zacha in that he exceeds expectations by improving his game in a variety of areas. He will have to do that if the Bs want to use him at 3C.
still hanging onto that avatar ? lol

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Right type of signing. Swing for a the type of player that has vaulted Las Vegas and Seattle to competitive status from scratch. Guys with tools that still have growth potential, like William Karlsson. Whether it pans out or not, this is at least the right mentality.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’m a show me kind of fan. I hate the concept of slotting guys up because it means you’re playing lesser players in crucial spots. It sets up the team and the player for a very thin margin for error. I also like Coyle but him being forced to a spot well above his abilities is going to result in him becoming a whipping boy for something that’s outside his control. He’s simply not a top 6 center. I absolutely hope I’m wrong but given the track record, I don’t think I am. Lol

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
600+ face offs taken each of the last two years and 51.1% win percentage in the dot.

Idk how we will be deployed here, but he played center in seattle
Thats good, didnt knew that.
I mean, paying 2M for a 4th liner is just a luxury we dont have.
Just not sure who plays with them, but Frederic Geekie someone, could be potentially an ok 3rd line.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That was aleays the plan when they signed coyle to that contract.
But i agree, that has to be one of the worst center depths in the league.
will have to do tho.
And that’s my issue with Sweeney. He’s had years to address the lack of centers in the pipeline yet he hasn’t. You’d have figured he’d be more aware of it given how badly they got exposed when Krejci left for the Czech Republic 2 years ago, but again nothing. And the. When he came back last year along with Bergeron, you have to as the gm be self aware that you’re on borrowed time with two aging player in those spots, but again crickets from donnieboy. I’m fine with Geekie taking over the Nosek role, but I fear he’s really going to be asked to do more than he’s capable of given what they’re asking if Coyle and Zacha. It’s a shitshow.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
He’s same age as Frederic and averaged similar point total last season with 1 minute TOI less per game. So color me meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
i think this is a strong under the radar signing .....if he continues to develop super- if not it's two years at $2m per

the definition of low risk and medium to high reward

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
He is a former 3rd pick!! LOL

When people say I never heard of a player I feel sorry for their fan base.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I’m a show me kind of fan. I hate the concept of slotting guys up because it means you’re playing lesser players in crucial spots. It sets up the team and the player for a very thin margin for error. I also like Coyle but him being forced to a spot well above his abilities is going to result in him becoming a whipping boy for something that’s outside his control. He’s simply not a top 6 center. I absolutely hope I’m wrong but given the track record, I don’t think I am. Lol
I don't know enough about Morgan to comment about him, but I think your characterization of players being asked to do too much is very valid and well spoken.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
3w/4c tweener with some possible upside. Not terrible, just don't expect a real impact guy

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Really nice get for you guys. As a Seattle fan, I am pretty disappointed Francis didn't bring Geekie back, there is still a load of potential there, and he is already a solid player.

A little history. Geekie has some Junior scoring pedigree and came over in the expansion draft as a mostly offensive project. Kid has a blistering shot and high offensive IQ and vision. He had good skating form, but was slow and his conditioning was poor. Hakstol juggled all his lines and Geekie was out of the lineup a lot as the team figured out what they were. When he played, he was constantly asked to play a different role with different linemates night in and night out. He commented that he had no idea what the coaching staff wanted from him in an interview, and he was then sat and demoted to fulltime 4th line when he drew into the lineup. Eventually, he started to get PK minutes after Tanev went down, and he became the teams best faceoff guy and a solid penalty killer.

This last offseason, he trained hard and came into camp a much quicker and a stronger player, with a lot more compete. He really showed signs of being much more than a 4th line center, but Hakstol still would play struggling vets over him and Sprong, regardless of how well they played.

This pick up could be a steal if you can play him with some linemates with solid hockey sense and offensive ability. I think there is still a whole lot there to untap and I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Really nice get for you guys. As a Seattle fan, I am pretty disappointed Francis didn't bring Geekie back, there is still a load of potential there, and he is already a solid player.

A little history. Geekie has some Junior scoring pedigree and came over in the expansion draft as a mostly offensive project. Kid has a blistering shot and high offensive IQ and vision. He had good skating form, but was slow and his conditioning was poor. Hakstol juggled all his lines and Geekie was out of the lineup a lot as the team figured out what they were. When he played, he was constantly asked to play a different role with different linemates night in and night out. He commented that he had no idea what the coaching staff wanted from him in an interview, and he was then sat and demoted to fulltime 4th line when he drew into the lineup. Eventually, he started to get PK minutes after Tanev went down, and he became the teams best faceoff guy and a solid penalty killer.

This last offseason, he trained hard and came into camp a much quicker and a stronger player, with a lot more compete. He really showed signs of being much more than a 4th line center, but Hakstol still would play struggling vets over him and Sprong, regardless of how well they played.

This pick up could be a steal if you can play him with some linemates with solid hockey sense and offensive ability. I think there is still a whole lot there to untap and I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for the background info. All I know is that when I watched him last season I really liked his game and my observations were similar to yours in terms of his strengths. Excited to have him in Boston.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the background info. All I know is that when I watched him last season I really liked his game and my observations were similar to yours in terms of his strengths. Excited to have him in Boston.
His first season he had the raw tools and was a smart heads-up player, but the footspeed was a big redflag that made me question whether or not he could eventually be an effective middle or even top 6 NHLer, but he came to camp last fall a different player. Twice as fast with a much stronger first step.

He now has all the tools to be a breakout player, unfortunately, the Kraken coaching staff had already decided what Geekie was, despite his substantially improved play, and he was never really given a chance.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
His first season he had the raw tools and was a smart heads-up player, but the footspeed was a big redflag that made me question whether or not he could eventually be an effective middle or even top 6 NHLer, but he came to camp last fall a different player. Twice as fast with a much stronger first step.

He had all the tools to be a breakout player, unfortunately, the Kraken coaching staff had already decided what Geekie was, despite his substantially improved play, and he was never really given a chance.
I see. I watched some Kraken games his first season, but have to admit I really never noticed him. Last season whan I watched a lot of Kraken games he was very noticeable. Didn't realize he had issues with speed year before last. Was certainly fast enough this past season. I thought he did great in the playoffs. Awesome that obviously he worked hard to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad