Pretty goood list to be on

Even strength points per 60 mins In the nhl last season

I’m getting fired up for the Geekie era

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Dig this signing
Hate the idea of Coyle in a top 6 C roll

Tried and failed like 2 years ago, not sure why they want to try this again
"want to" or HAVE to? With no cap space what would you have them do if Bergeron does not come back???
I think they spread their money around as best they could and have maybe managed to stay competitive. Geekie is a solid signing and Tcachuk won't crosscheck Looch the way he did Hathaway.

Reactions: SonnyBoy

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
3w/4c tweener with some possible upside. Not terrible, just don't expect a real impact guy
Thus far... I don't expect any of the guys we've acquired to be impact players.

Not negatively speaking, just keeping expectations tempered.

Geekie could have some upside, middle 6 C probably the ceiling.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thus far... I don't expect any of the guys we've acquired to be impact players.

Not negatively speaking, just keeping expectations tempered.

Geekie could have some upside, middle 6 C probably the ceiling.
Yeah I don’t they’re going to be the kinds of players that drive the teams record- imo they’ll fill in without hurting the team much.

Maybe Geekie becomes an impact player given his ES production in Seattle and given more minutes here. There is still some upside in there, if he can up his game and be a legitimate #2C ~45-50 point guy that would be huge for the org

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Liking this player...

Morgan Geekie Scouting Report: 2017 NHL Draft #69​

By: Ben Kerr | June 4, 2017

Welcome back to Top Shelf NHL Prospects, the daily column that brings you the next crop of professional hockey players. Each day I will bring you a new player profile or topical article in the lead-up to the 2017 NHL Draft. Be sure to bookmark the site, follow me on Twitter, and spread the word for the site that will bring you analytical and critical profiles and scouting reports! Last Word On Hockey Prospects is your new headquarters for everything “NHL Draft”! We have a complete listing of our draft articles here.
Undrafted one year ago, Morgan Geekie exploded this season with 35 goals and 90 points in 72 games for the Tri-City Americans. It was a big improvement on the 12 goals and 25 points he put up in 2015-16. Geekie finished tied for 9th in WHL scoring this season. However, he struggled in the playoffs with just one goal in four games as the Americans looked overmatched in their first round loss to the eventual WHL Champion Seattle Thunderbirds. That said Geekie’s big season has still brought him back on the draft radar and makes it unlikely that he will pass through the draft again. He was even named a Western Conference 2nd Team All-Star this year.

Morgan Geekie Scouting Report: 2017 NHL Draft​

Center — shoots Right
Born July 20th, 1998 — Strathclair, Manitoba
Height 6’2″ — Weight 190 lbs [188 cm / 86 kg]

Skating​

Morgan Geekie has really improved his skating over the last year, but there is still a bit more to go. While he once was considered slow, he is now at average speed. His first step and acceleration are also decent. While he does not blow anyone away, the fact that he is better able to keep up with the play has been a big key in Geekie’s approvement. He also has improved his agility and edge work. Geekie is now making tighter turns, as well as generating better power and acceleration better with his crossovers. This along with better cuts has helped him to be more effective in both ends of the ice. He has good balance. It is tough to knock Geekie off the puck, and he wins battles in the corners as well as the front of the net.

Offensive Game​

Geekie creates most of his offense in the dirty areas of the ice. With the puck on his stick, he looks to manufacture offense by getting to the front of the net. From there he can dish the puck to a linemate through a tight opening, or finish in close to the goaltender. He has very good vision and makes smart plays with the puck on his stick. He also has the hands necessary to pounce on rebounds and to redirect shots into the net. Geekie has also really improved his one-timer, and loves to let it go from between the face-off circles. He usually fires either a quick wrist or snap shot, with good power and an excellent release.
AD​

Geekie is not afraid to take punishment to make plays, and he battles hard in the corners and in front of the net. He cycles the puck well, protecting the puck while fighting through checks, and getting it to teammates. However, he is not the type to make a big hit.

Defensive Game​

Geekie is very good defensively. He is one of the best in the WHL in the face-off circle and is a key penalty killer for the Americans. He is also used to match-up against other teams top lines. Geekie works hard to almost always be on the right side of the puck. He uses his body to block shots, as well as an active stick to cut down passing lanes. Geekie provides support to the defense down low and keeps his man to the outside when defending the cycle. He also transitions quickly to offense when an opportunity presents itself.

Projection and Comparison​

Morgan Geekie has really improved over the last year. He has the potential to be a second or third line centre in the NHL if this continues. He’s done a lot of work in the weight room, and on improving his skating and this really shows. His style is reminiscent of Logan Couture of the San Jose Sharks. This is not a talent based comparison though.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
And that’s my issue with Sweeney. He’s had years to address the lack of centers in the pipeline yet he hasn’t. You’d have figured he’d be more aware of it given how badly they got exposed when Krejci left for the Czech Republic 2 years ago, but again nothing. And the. When he came back last year along with Bergeron, you have to as the gm be self aware that you’re on borrowed time with two aging player in those spots, but again crickets from donnieboy. I’m fine with Geekie taking over the Nosek role, but I fear he’s really going to be asked to do more than he’s capable of given what they’re asking if Coyle and Zacha. It’s a shitshow.
Well you are right he has not addresses the center position pipeline , but that goes along with never addressing the RW for Krecji all these years and it was not fixed until Cassidy put Pasta with Krecji and moved DeBrusk to his off wing with Bergey and Marchand............so maybe we should get Cassidy back to address this problem ........

Reactions: LSCII

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Looks like the bruins will be stocked with 50 point guys up n down the center line up.

With or without bergeron

Just throw frederic, Zacha, geekie, and Coyle out there at anyone time and each line will likely have the same offensive threat. A team full of 3rd lines. Gotta love it :laugh:

Losing Hall is really going to hurt, they are likely prayig Lauko steps up and rescinds his trade request

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
WIth the promise of a bigger role, I wonder if that means they think he could be on the third line with Coyle or maybe even try him out as the 2nd line center if Bergeron takes part of the season off ( or retires ).

I think they're going to give Lauko, Merkulov, Lysell, and Geekie every chance to grab a spot in the top 9.

Reactions: HustleB

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
View attachment 725161
Pretty goood list to be on

Even strength points per 60 mins In the nhl last season

I’m getting fired up for the Geekie era
Wow. Seems like he's got top 6 upside being on that list with untapped potential. I wonder if they keep Coyle at 3C and give him a shot as a top 6 C.

Marchy-Geekie-JDB
JVR-Zacha-Pasta
Merk?-Coyle-Freddy
Lucic-Brown-Lauko

Reactions: 13Hockey

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Looks like the bruins will be stocked with 50 point guys up n down the center line up.

With or without bergeron

Just throw frederic, Zacha, geekie, and Coyle out there at anyone time and each line will likely have the same offensive threat. A team full of 3rd lines. Gotta love it :laugh:

Losing Hall is really going to hurt, they are likely prayig Lauko steps up and rescinds his trade request
Say what?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Dig this signing
Hate the idea of Coyle in a top 6 C roll

Tried and failed like 2 years ago, not sure why they want to try this again
Sweeney. F****** Sweeney is why. He will make Coyle a number two center no matter what, it will fail miserably and Sweeney will have excuses. Hope Geekie gets a real look with Marchand and DeBrusk. I have hope with him, I have seen the Coyle show for too long now.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Sweeney. F****** Sweeney is why. He will make Coyle a number two center no matter what, it will fail miserably and Sweeney will have excuses. Hope Geekie gets a real look with Marchand and DeBrusk. I have hope with him, I have seen the Coyle show for too long now.
I agree here, Geekie is 24 and at least could breakout in an expanded role, whereas we know that Coyle is what he is. Let him drive line 3 again this year and give Geekie a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad