Prospect Info: Morgan Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
AHL material.

You won't make me cry with the facts that his family was coming saturday.

He didn't showed enough to stay. Weak, AHL defenseman.

It is a professional hockey team. Not a charity hockey team.

He had limited ice time in 3 games and he wasn't paired with anyone who had significant NHL experience. I doubt that even you could make an accurate assessment under those conditions and with that amount of playing time.

At this point is the team better served by playing Markov 25 minutes a game or finding out what the capabilities of their prospects might be.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
His father is a farmer in PEI.

It's not feasible to just pack up for California.

Dude, I agree 100% that we can't judge, we don't know their situation, Yada Yada, but man, you can't tell me with a straight face that a PEI farmer is to busy with work in the first week of March to go see his son play in the NHL... Worst excuse ever.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Dude, I agree 100% that we can't judge, we don't know their situation, Yada Yada, but man, you can't tell me with a straight face that a PEI farmer is to busy with work in the first week of March to go see his son play in the NHL... Worst excuse ever.

How the **** would you know?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Farmers work all year long and do 40 hours a week in their down time.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

You don't know any farmers do you?

You most likely think he gets 3 weeks of paid vacation a year too...literally lirl

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Let him play in front of his family. It's not like we are trying to make the playoffs. No class this Bergevin!

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
He's come a long way already... decent chance to be a 5/6/7... but the family thing.... come on guys, he was still trying to understand who he was as a player in the east coast last year.. he got his candy and let's just hope he figured it out... some players understand their roles much farther along the way than others

scaryroberts

Feb 28, 2016
Leafs fan here, but also a casual acquaintance of the Ellis family who was curious to see what Habs fans thought of Morgan's first crack at the NHL.

I currently have a nice view of my father's farm through the front window of my house, and they've been moving and cleaning machinery all week in preparation for planting. This is a big job for an operation with plenty of employees at their disposal, but the Ellis' have managed to remain small in a situation where most Island farms have been forced to expand or sell. Glen works his ass off, and things just aren't going to get done if he's off in California.

Trust me, my face is as straight as can be when I tell you that a PEI farmer can't just hop on a plane at a moment's notice and fly across the continent. I appreciate the comments I've seen from those of you who already recognize this fact.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Help me understand Montreal's decision to not qualify Ellis today. His numbers with St. John's were solid 73GP 16G 26A 42pts 51Pim as a 24 year old. He represented the IceCaps at the AHL All Star Game. His contract was minimal. He's an easy call-up if we get into injury problems or can just be a solid support in the AHL for our younger guys next season. It makes no sense to be giving up on him. At the worst we resign him and lose him to waivers at the start of the season.

There were a lot of strange decisions to not qualify other RFA's around the league (DSP, Bennett, etc). Am I missing something? Are we too close to the max 50 contracts? Is this because of expansion or are we just keeping our salary extremely low to take a run at a few UFA's on July1st?

I'm guessing/hoping that we turn around and resign him to a two year, two way contract in the next few days and it's some type of expansion draft strategy allowing us and other teams to possibly expose players.

Thoughts?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Help me understand Montreal's decision to not qualify Ellis today. His numbers with St. John's were solid 73GP 16G 26A 42pts 51Pim as a 24 year old. He represented the IceCaps at the AHL All Star Game. His contract was minimal. He's an easy call-up if we get into injury problems or can just be a solid support in the AHL for our younger guys next season. It makes no sense to be giving up on him. At the worst we resign him and lose him to waivers at the start of the season.

There were a lot of strange decisions to not qualify other RFA's around the league (DSP, Bennett, etc). Am I missing something? Are we too close to the max 50 contracts? Is this because of expansion or are we just keeping our salary extremely low to take a run at a few UFA's on July1st?

I'm guessing/hoping that we turn around and resign him to a two year, two way contract in the next few days and it's some type of expansion draft strategy allowing us and other teams to possibly expose players.

Thoughts?
MB needed the money for Shaw!

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

Thoughts?

I have trouble with that one too. Perhaps MB wanted to keep his options open as the free agent market is set to begin and not push up against the limit of 50 contracts during that period.

I am also unclear on the rules. Did he have to offer him at least a two-way NHL contract to retain his rights? Could an AHL contract be in the offing? There are a lot of little nuances that come into play this time of year that I don't fully understand.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Was the QO more than league minimum? Sometimes guys still sign after going UFA.

In any case Ellis is a long shot to make the NHL. Still a great story. He's a great hockey player and should absolutely be able to make a living playing hockey if he choses to.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Correct me if I'm wrong but this type of situation happens all the time. Teams just don't want to take the chance that the player will elect for arbitration if they are qualified. Instead, teams take a gamble on players they can spare and hope for a cheap et contract (and avoid the unpleasentness of the arbitration process) at the rest of losing the player to free agency. I remember the Habs using this tactic not too long ago.

Edit: this applies to DSP more so than Ellis who I think they're just letting go.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Losing him will hurt the IceCaps.

So he's definitely never going to make the NHL? I didn't see glaring problems with his game (but what do I know) in the few minutes he played but it's pretty clear MT didn't like him.

Is he too slow or something? Ellis had a pretty good junior career. He started slow as a pro but seemed to get it together last year. He put up points, has reasonable size.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
So he's definitely never going to make the NHL? I didn't see glaring problems with his game (but what do I know) in the few minutes he played but it's pretty clear MT didn't like him.

Is he too slow or something? Ellis had a pretty good junior career. He started slow as a pro but seemed to get it together last year. He put up points, has reasonable size.

I watched all 3 games he played in California and it was too fast for him.

He's not NHL material.... BUT Pateryn was lost at first too.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I watched all 3 games he played in California and it was too fast for him.

He's not NHL material.... BUT Pateryn was lost at first too.

That's the thing, it's hard to judge a guy on such a small sample size. A D especially can look silly early. No doubt Ellis struggled with the big club in the few games, but Pateryn was bad at first and Dietz was horrific in his debut but looked solid enough later.

Ellis may never make the NHL. But I'm not willing to make that determination based on the small sample size I have.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Thoughts?

Have no idea...seen him in Memorial Cup few years back...thought he would of made it

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Have no idea...seen him in Memorial Cup few years back...thought he would of made it

Same as Lessio.

To qualify someone it's 110% of his previous contract (in his case 632,500$).

Ellis should have no more than 575,000 in the NHL (league minimum).

Also he was arbitration eligible, he could have asked for a better pay in the AHL. I guess we are not ready to give him that. So if he wants to come back with us, it will be on our terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad