Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
it probably kills him that they were the top team when the season was cancelled.

well, it was a wrecked season and lost memories across the board for all amateur sports. Every Division, Conference, League etc had those in the lead record wise, those in the hunt and those who got healthy and were looking for a chance. They all lost out and it’s sad.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
well, it was a wrecked season and lost memories across the board for all amateur sports. Every Division, Conference, League etc had those in the lead record wise, those in the hunt and those who got healthy and were looking for a chance. They all lost out and it’s sad.

yeah everyone high school and college was effected. I'm just thinking from barron's standpoint. its very possible that he went back to school last year thinking we can win a championship and then i'll turn pro. then they were #1 poised to do it and the season ended...in terms of his desire to win a ncaa championship and feeling that is still a goal for him, that is even worse than having lost.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think he pretty clearly wants to stay and make a run at the championship, but will sign if there is no season (or will sign after that season). I haven't seen or heard anything that leads me to believe he won't sign here.

May go to the same team his brother gets drafted by if they are close.

If it isn't a worry he will leave, then he should probably stay in school. He's a late pick that's only 21 years old. Give him another year or two to develop.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
The Ivy League has canceled all fall sports, with no decision on winter or spring sports.

I wish I had more clarity on how much influence the Ivy League has on it's schools that have hockey since they don't sponsor the sport, and Cornell has always felt like the outsider in that conference given it's origins (There's a pretty good chance that Cornell would've continued it's season if the NCAA hadn't canceled the tournament).

IMO this kind of puts Barron between a rock and a hard place. Both the AHL and NCAA both need to figure out if they will have their respective seasons and those are the two mostly likely places he plays next year. There's always a possibility he could go to Europe but I don't see that happening.

Regardless of the AHL's decision, if the NCAA cancels their hockey season, he'll sign even if he doesn't end up on the Rangers initially. It's worth it to get the clock started on his ELC.

And finally to contribute the to the above discussion, I have very high confidence that Barron will sign with the Rangers sometime between now and whenever his rights expire. The Rangers are known for how they treat their prospects, and I'm struggling to come up with the last time the Rangers didn't sign a draft pick and it was the player's decision. They made a video featuring him and his experience as both a Rangers prospect and college hockey player(which in of itself shows how much the organization values him), where he spoke glowingly about the organization. Unless you guys all know something you're not telling me please stop all the hand wringing about whether he'll sign with the team and go back to hand wringing about when the he'll sign. :P

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If Barron signs he’s got a legit chance at 4th line w Lemieux and Gauthier

Or is he better at LW?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If Barron signs he’s got a legit chance at 4th line w Lemieux and Gauthier

Or is he better at LW?

I'd guess they would start him at wing to adjust to the league. I'm doubtful without injuries that he would leapfrog Fogarty, Nieves and Letteri as a rookie but I could be wrong.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'd guess they would start him at wing to adjust to the league. I'm doubtful without injuries that he would leapfrog Fogarty, Nieves and Letteri as a rookie but I could be wrong.

All thise guys are ufa....some may resign but kinda Fillers that would get limited minutes in the NHL imo . I know they have good AHL stats

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think you'll see Barron sign at some point prior to training camp in November. College ain't playing no sports this year, especially Ivy leagues that have no reason to take the risk.

I don’t think Lemieux or Fast will be here next year.
Fast is gone 100%, Lemieux tougher to tell

He's nothing special though for sure. I'd say he's bordering on the line of expansion fodder at this point.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think you'll see Barron sign at some point prior to training camp in November. College ain't playing no sports this year, especially Ivy leagues that have no reason to take the risk.

Fast is gone 100%, Lemieux tougher to tell

He's nothing special though for sure. I'd say he's bordering on the line of expansion fodder at this point.
If they buy out someone I think Fast could definitely be back. They want him back, and his market has assuredly shrunk with the league's flat cap.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If they buy out someone I think Fast could definitely be back. They want him back, and his market has assuredly shrunk with the league's flat cap.

I wonder how much the flat cap will affect the negotiations. How many players would sign for a flat rate or even a slight pay cut just to stay with a team, knowing the situation with the salary cap?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wonder how much the flat cap will affect the negotiations. How many players would sign for a flat rate or even a slight pay cut just to stay with a team, knowing the situation with the salary cap?

the guys in the 'middle' will be impacted the most. top players will still get paid but its the support/role players that will get squeezed or even pushed out of the league if guys on ELC can cover spots.

I also see alot of short term deals for those players too...If fans aren't back for next season (which seems unlikely right now) I don't see how the nhlpa will ever 'repay' the escrow $$ that they owe so we are most likely looking at a relatively flat cap for a long time. as a result teams will be looking at shorter deals for the depth guys as protection against the flat cap in future years and those players will probably also want a shorter deal hoping that the cap situation gets better for their next deal.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It's special when it's unique to the team. But you see what you want, as usual. Continue with the hot takes.
I really don’t think it’s that hot of a take haha

But then again Ranger fans are predisposed to creaming their jeans over any guy who plays physical

Anywho this thread is about Barron so I’ll stop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad