Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Yeah, but 23 is almost 25, and that means you're 2 years away from UFA status so he's basically too old to commit to long term

agreed, i am not suggesting Lemieux has earned a long-term or big-ticket extension.
2-3 years for between 1.6<>2+ could be fair
heck, they spent 1.9 on Beleskey this season, about the same on Fast

I like at least 2 years, and make the call next summer regarding who to expose to Seattle, among a bunch of F's - such as Gauthier, Howden, Strome(if), Lemieux, Fast(if) - you can only lose 1 player, Hajek likely on that list as well, along w other guys...

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
wherever we decide to trade him to

He’s what 25? He’s a fourth liner at best looking for a raise. We’re not in a position to be paying fourth liners more than a million dollars.
Sorry, but I doubt he is going anywhere. Gorton targeted him specifically and he has played well enough to warrant more playing time on a line higher than 4th. What he provides is what Gorton was looking for.

Reactions: cwede
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Sorry, but I doubt he is going anywhere. Gorton targeted him specifically and he has played well enough to warrant more playing time on a line higher than 4th. What he provides is what Gorton was looking for.
He put up very similar numbers as Chris Neil did when he was 24. And Neil was far from a 4th liner.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Lemieux is the player that part of the fan base thinks the team can do just fine without, but when he is gone you are desperately searching for because your team likes that X factor.

For the last several years this team has not had that pesty forward who can drop the gloves but also play the game of hockey with an edge. There were times over the past year in which it looked like Lemmy was the only one out there with a pulse. He is only 23. He played well this year and missed some time due to the injury.

He wont be going anywhere.

Now back to Barron. Excited for when he does sign to help create more competition and quality depth in the bottom 6.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
No one is saying they don’t like Lemieux but at this point he’s nothing more than a 4th liner and unfortunately a fourth liner due for another raise. We aren’t in financial position to be paying 4th liners 2 million dollars and that’s what he’s going to be up for.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You can prob sign Phil DiGi for league minimum to play on your fourth line all year next to Brett Howden and get the same results. Quinn doesn’t even like to play his fourth line.

you’re gonna have Barron Kravtsov And Gettinger all pushing to make the roster too. Cap not going up. You gotta make some tough decisions unfortunately.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
No one is saying they don’t like Lemieux but at this point he’s nothing more than a 4th liner and unfortunately a fourth liner due for another raise. We aren’t in financial position to be paying 4th liners 2 million dollars and that’s what he’s going to be up for.

Lemieux will resign it’s not like he’s gonna get a huge raise and he will easily fit under the cap

Quinn will play the 4th line if we had a good one

As for Barron it sounds like the nhl is his best option to play w college hockey postponed

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lemieux can be played on any line if needed.

technically yes but that goes for every nhler. He doesn’t belong anywhere near a top 6

he’s already making a mil. He’s going to be asking closer to 2 mil. He’s a fourth liner we don’t have cap space to be paying 4th liner 2 million a year. It’s that simple. We’ve got more important bills to pay

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Lemmy is only a 4th liner!
For some reason the whole world will pay him more though, can't figure out why!

TRADE TRADE TRADE our barely-a-4th liner for a easy 2nd rounder

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lemmy is only a 4th liner!
For some reason the whole world will pay him more though, can't figure out why!

TRADE TRADE TRADE our barely-a-4th liner for a easy 2nd rounder

the same focusing on stats and figure skaters will be the first to propose a trade including solid prospects for a more costly Lemieux type replacement.

Reactions: romba

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't even think Lemieux is particularly effective in that agitator, energy role. He chases the play far too often and takes himself out of the shift just as much as he takes his target out of the shift. And he ends up on his ass too much.

He'd be better if he focused more on the tangibles than the intangibles. If he committed himself to being the best offensive player he can be, while focusing less on being a pest and more on simply picking his spots to be physical and stir the pot, I'd like him more. He'd be more valuable to me.

I LOVE guys that are really effective pests. It's why I loved Avery so much. I don't think Lemieux is that effective in that role. He'd be better served actually trying to play hockey than just pissing people off. Carcillo. Dorsett. Even that whole HBO line (Betts was the oddball on that line). I liked when we picked up Asham because I thought he could still play. I like those guys. Lemieux is a better player than them but not as effective at being a pest.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I LOVE guys that are really effective pests. It's why I loved Avery so much. I don't think Lemieux is that effective in that role. He'd be better served actually trying to play hockey than just pissing people off.

Avery would have been better served actually trying to play hockey rather than just pissing people off.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Avery would have been better served actually trying to play hockey rather than just pissing people off.
I actually totally disagree. When Avery wasn't constantly involved, playing the agitator role, he just became disengaged and was far less effective. And you can certainly say that's a failing of his as a player, that he was either all or nothing--but that's just how it was with him. When he was living on the edge, everything about his game was better. I know you and I never saw eye-to-eye on him, though, so I don't expect you to agree now. :laugh:

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Lemieux isn't a 4th liner, but the second half of the season he spent a lot of time getting owned by the refs instead of playing hockey and that has to be corrected.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Then we have other problems to address. We shouldn't compound those problems by making another mistake.
If we wanted to bend over to keep Kreider and pour money over Panarin's head then we can keep a 4th liner who deserves the money and has room to improve

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Then we have other problems to address. We shouldn't compound those problems by making another mistake.
If we wanted to bend over to keep Kreider and pour money over Panarin's head then we can keep a 4th liner who deserves the money and has room to improve

uhh no the fourth liners are the guys you don’t worry about. You take care of your core guys like Panarin and Kreider. You don’t even remotely second guess those moves because you want to find more money for your 4th line wing pleaseeeeeee

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm on the fence with Lemieux, there seems to be enough interest in him league wide that I'd be tempted to see what I could get back. Does he equal a Johnson out of Toronto? If so I'd consider that type of move. I like him but he will likely end up an expensive 4th liner here.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'm on the fence with Lemieux, there seems to be enough interest in him league wide that I'd be tempted to see what I could get back. Does he equal a Johnson out of Toronto? If so I'd consider that type of move. I like him but he will likely end up an expensive 4th liner here.

I take Lemieux over Johnsson for sure.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Given reports today re Kaprizov, Sorokin. I guess NYR could sign Barron, he could practice w team and come to Toronto, just not play in games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad