Prospect Info: Morgan Barron

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Given reports today re Kaprizov, Sorokin. I guess NYR could sign Barron, he could practice w team and come to Toronto, just not play in games

They can, but his ELC would kick in immediately, burn a year just to have him practice, and he won't be eligible to go back to college. With a bottom-6 guy like Barron, I really do not see a reason to go this route.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Agreed, wasn't suggesting he do it. Just adding an update relating to the "will he", "won't he", "should he" questions above

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
assume he used the threat of staying in the KHL
Don't think so. It is widely reported that Bergevin "promised" Romanov a spot in the lineup next year, before they Habs knew they would be in the play in. This is the Habs saying we value you and want you around the team to get accustomed to NA practices/customs. That being said, I believe it's stupid to burn a year off the ELC, without actually playing in games. That's why the Habs are where they've been for decades...

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
uhh no the fourth liners are the guys you don’t worry about. You take care of your core guys like Panarin and Kreider. You don’t even remotely second guess those moves because you want to find more money for your 4th line wing pleaseeeeeee
uhh yes. It's not a completely useless position, it holds some value. That's why it would be incorrect to assume it should receive no focus or "no worry" whatsoever.

What's more, a 4th liner today isn't necessarily a 4th liner 1 or 2 years from now. Players tend to grow into other roles, other players have an effect on the team that goes beyond just what line they play on. All of this needs to be considered. How you could be such a long time fan and have no grasp of this reality is beyond me. June 2004? Well nearly 2 decades isn't THAT long. Since you're still a newer fan I should tell you that younger players can become better than what they are now.

I am not saying you have to agree with me on lemieux. IF you feel he doesnt bring enough to the table overall and if you just don't see the growth potential in him then by all means, that's fair, feel free to expand on that. But you didn't. You offered a shallow, ill conceived rebuttal instead.

You also did not understand the point I was making by mentioning CK and Panarin.

My fault, I should've spelled it out extremely clearly

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Our best teams in the past decade had good fourth lines. Like, Dorsett, Boyle, and Moore was it? When we lost in the Finals? If you have a good fourth line it can be a great weapon. None of those guys were making the minimum. Boyle was at 1.7, Moore was at 1.0, Dorsett was at 1.63. Those were 2013 dollars. It's okay to spend money on the fourth line; they don't all have to be guys on ELCs or guys making sub-$1M.

I'm okay keeping Lemieux around if he's on the fourth line, and as long as his salary stays reasonable. He has some skill, and while I'm not a huge fan of his game for reasons stated earlier, he does bring a different and necessary element.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
why, it increased the entertainment value and unpredictability. It was fun times.

To me, winning is more fun than watching a clown who was more interested in being a spectacle.

He had enough talent to be a consistent 50-point scorer who irritated the opposition and drew penalties, an incredible value to any team, but he was dead from the neck up and more interested in entertaining a certain segment of the fanbase.

When he first came to the Rangers, he looked like a major acquisition for parts of two seasons. Then he decided to only be a side show.

No NHL player I have seen in my lifetime ever caused more offsides than he did, each time possibly derailing a goal-scoring chance. At that level, it is inexcusable.

To me, he was the worst thing possible; squandered talent.

Reactions: GAGLine

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lemieux won’t cost a lot to resign .... let him develop and annoy opponents ... he’s a rare breed and an asset
Next season will be telling for him. He'll be turning 25 towards the end of they year, with three NHL seasons and five total professional seasons under his belt. He should be about in his prime, so we'll see where he's at.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Lemieux won’t cost a lot to resign .... let him develop and annoy opponents ... he’s a rare breed and an asset

I like him on the cheap but that isn't going to last long. Apparently a lot of GM's reached out to Gorton when he made the trade for him, maybe he gets us something better with Anderson added to the package? Georgiev? I wouldn't bet that Lemieix will be here in 3 years so maybe get something for him while there is interest. I could see Montreal overpaying for him.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Next season will be telling for him. He'll be turning 25 towards the end of they year, with three NHL seasons and five total professional seasons under his belt. He should be about in his prime, so we'll see where he's at.

Lemieux is like the last remaining testicle on this team and we want to chop that off as well?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lemieux is like the last remaining testicle on this team and we want to chop that off as well?
I have outlined my concerns about him repeatedly and don't feel like going over them again. I don't want to get rid of him by any means, but I also want to see him take some steps to improve his game. He could do what he does far more effectively.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Lemieux can be a top 4th liner if he can just be smarter. If he can't, he won't be here much longer. Howden, Barron, the kid they signed out of college, Lafontaine, these guys can all do that job.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lemieux can be a top 4th liner if he can just be smarter. If he can't, he won't be here much longer. Howden, Barron, the kid they signed out of college, Lafontaine, these guys can all do that job.

Lafontaine? You mean Gabriel Fontaine?

The kids from college are long-shots. Khodorenko probably has the best shot at making it out of the 3, but I wouldn't count on any of them being on the NHL team to a degree where youn can pencil them in to replace Lemieux

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It’s less about Lemieux being a good 4th liner or not. It’s strictly about his upcoming salary demands. Flat cap that won’t be going up. You are going to have to cut costs somewhere. He already makes 1mil a season. Big budget teams can’t have guys that cost 2 mil on their 4th lines over the next couple seasons. Not going to be a luxury. You’re going to have to have guys under 1.5 tops on your 4th line and elcs

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
You're really underselling BL.

He can be a top 3rd liner (and play on the other two top lines for spells). Your opinion of him is being skewed by his most suspension. He is an amazingly important part of this team. And I don't think his IQ (hockey or otherwise) is bad.

But you're saying that any one of three guys can do what BL does. And that's not true. Howden has never shown the ability to play the way BL. The other two haven't even played in the NHL yet.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I have outlined my concerns about him repeatedly and don't feel like going over them again. I don't want to get rid of him by any means, but I also want to see him take some steps to improve his game. He could do what he does far more effectively.
I think there is some recency bias here. Sure he made a boneheaded play and was suspended for it. But that was more often the exception and not the rule.

He's the kind of player we have been longing for for years. And now that he's here, you gotta take the mostly good with the occasional bad.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Trying to find the latest info regarding Barron but the last few pages are all about Lemieux lol

yeah every time there is new post to this thread, i am hoping for some news, say, article from Halifax, about his status.

Are Mods tasked to keep threads on topic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->