More valuable to the future of the franchise: henrique or larsson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
Larsson is probably the better player but Henrique is more valuable to the Devils. We have a ton of promising young defensemen in the system plus 6 good NHL defensmen. We have neither a strong group of NHL forwards or many promising forward prospects.

lboogie42*

We don't have much offensive prospects, and a load of d prospects. That being said, henrique will be more valuable. He's also arguably the most clutch guy we have. Impressive when we also have Kovy and elias

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I was wondering myself what it would take to get Ovi, now that washingtons freefalling...not that they would. but I wondered which prospect I would package a deal around, henrique or larsson..I couldn't answer it though, without knowing more about merril

Welcome2Hell

Aug 9, 2010
NutleyNJ
I was wondering myself what it would take to get Ovi, now that washingtons freefalling...not that they would. but I wondered which prospect I would package a deal around, henrique or larsson..I couldn't answer it though, without knowing more about merril

I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for ovechkin with that contract he has let alone our two future stars.

DevilsAnimal*

I feel adam is the better player right now, but adam will have higher upside than adam

elias026

Jul 12, 2006
montreal
I feel adam is the better player right now, but adam will have higher upside than adam

dungystare.gif

mindblown.gif

Semak

Larsson, and but Henrique is right on his heels thanks to his intangibles. If 3 of the young dmen prospects max out on potential, other fwds can be traded for.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
nope. enstrom is good offensively, excellent in transition, and a bit above average in his own zone. i think larsson will end up being excellent in his own zone, good transitionally, and a bit above average offensively. they'd make a fantastic pairing, actually.

larsson has all the tools to be a fantastic shutdown guy and minutes eater, but i don't see powerplay qb or 45 point d-man written all over him. i think those hopes are going to fall on merrill. he'll contribute offensively, but more in a 2nd pp unit and 20-30 points kind of way.

that said, i do think he's more valuable, to this franchise at least, than henrique.

Your description of Enstrom actually does sound a lot like Merrill's game. That's why I am also really excited to see him develop, hopefully he will make a good future partner for Larsson.

My hope is that Larsson-Merrill goes down as a legendary defence pairing for the Devils, spoken of with the same reverence as Stevens-Niedermayer (yes I know they were never on a pairing together). My more reasonable expectation is that they end up being a solid top pairing for the Devils for at least 5 years toward the end of this decade.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Your description of Enstrom actually does sound a lot like Merrill's game. That's why I am also really excited to see him develop, hopefully he will make a good future partner for Larsson.

My hope is that Larsson-Merrill goes down as a legendary defence pairing for the Devils, spoken of with the same reverence as Stevens-Niedermayer (yes I know they were never on a pairing together). My more reasonable expectation is that they end up being a solid top pairing for the Devils for at least 5 years toward the end of this decade.
They were on a pairing together briefly in the earlier years of the 90s.

Semak

If my head cold congested head is thinking straight, Nieds rookie year, he and Stevens played together. But I understand and agree with the idea. Bleedred can back/debunk me.

They guy I would like to see make it is Gelinas. Besides Chambers for a short time NJ has never really had a bomb from the point.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Larsson. Given that he is younger, there is more of an unknown factor, but I'm feeling pretty positive about his upside.

And I'll take the opposite view of many in terms of surrounding team mates. Kovy will be our offensive leader for a good 4 to 5 years. He's a star player. Elias, still has a couple good years in him. Clarkson just notched 30 goals, and we have JJ and Matteau as good looking young players in the org.

But there is no star defensemen on this roster, there is no one with the upside of Larsson amongst the d prospects.

And end of the day I think answer to this question is, who will be the better player. And I think the #4 pick in the 2011 draft will prove to be that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

So in a perfect Devils world in which both guys pan out, you'd pair them? And not run 2 defensive pairings with a dynamic player?

Oroku Saki*

Enstrom is a much better skater then Larsson and Merrill.

I hope Merrill becomes a Markov type while Larsson a Suter clone.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
With Zajac, Henrique is more important.

Larsson's ceiling as a #1 franchise defenseman far tops Henrique's ceiling. Henrique's likely to settle in as a 50-60 point all-purpose centerman, I doubt Henrique becomes more than that. With Larsson, the sky is the limit.

Larsson makes our defense that much more formidable in the future as well. Take Larsson out of the picture, and our future defense looks mediocre. With him, it looks pretty incredible.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If my head cold congested head is thinking straight, Nieds rookie year, he and Stevens played together. But I understand and agree with the idea. Bleedred can back/debunk me.

They guy I would like to see make it is Gelinas. Besides Chambers for a short time NJ has never really had a bomb from the point.

Kurtis "Pylon" Foster. :sarcasm:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
With Zajac, Henrique is more important.

Larsson's ceiling as a #1 franchise defenseman far tops Henrique's ceiling. Henrique's likely to settle in as a 50-60 point all-purpose centerman, I doubt Henrique becomes more than that. With Larsson, the sky is the limit.

Larsson makes our defense that much more formidable in the future as well. Take Larsson out of the picture, and our future defense looks mediocre. With him, it looks pretty incredible.

I'm thinking your misspeaking hear.

But I agree with your sentiment. People are thinking our glut at d diminishes Larssons value. but there is no one amongst our current D-men or our d prospects who can match Larssons upside. While there are numerous guys who will probably have better careers then Henrique, some of which have plenty left in the tank, already on the roster.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

Sheldon Souray?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Was Pronger a good skater? No, Larsson will be great for his passing abilities, hopefully his skating will improve but it wont make or break him.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Both will be equally important IMO. One as the rock solid number 1 D man, and the other as the Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad