More valuable to the future of the franchise: henrique or larsson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I dont see the next Lidström in Larsson. I hope I am wrong, but Henrique has shown to be the next Elias, to-be-underrated-clutch-forward. Larsson can still be a bust.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Larsson. We are building the defence of the future around him. If all goes right, he will be the Devils' #1 for a decade. And the identity of the club has always been with the defence.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I know Lidstrom is an inviting comparison to make, but I see Larsson as more of a Toby Enstrom guy, or Joni Pitkanen on steroids. A solid, reliable #1 with excellent offensive upside. I'd love to see him be Lidstrom, though.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Considering we have several forwards starting to age that will be leaving the lineup within the next 5 years and that we do not have a great pool of forward prospects and then looking at our pool of D prospects that still have to prove themselves, but have good looking potential, Henrique is more valuable to this organization

This is not to say Larsson isn't valuable, he is a big part of the future of this franchise, but the future looks better with the D than it does the O as of now

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
From a franchise that builds and prides itself on defense, I have to go with Larsson. Even though he's been a healthy scratch, he'll get his shot sooner than later.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I know Lidstrom is an inviting comparison to make, but I see Larsson as more of a Toby Enstrom guy, or Joni Pitkanen on steroids. A solid, reliable #1 with excellent offensive upside. I'd love to see him be Lidstrom, though.

I don't really see the Enstrom comparison. Enstrom reminds me more of Rafalski than Larsson. Enstrom/Rafalski are smaller defenseman who can move the puck, quaterback a powerplay, and rely on the offensive side of their game. Larsson is a bigger defenseman who plays a great positional game with a calm demeanor. (Which is where the Lidstrom comparisons come from).

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
I vote henrique. I don't know, something about 2 series clinching overtime goals as a rookie is not an accident

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Don't see Larsson as dynamic as Enstrom per say.

No, but I expect Larsson to be the better two-way defenceman over his career. We don't need him to be an offensive powerhouse, we need him to be an all-round #1. He is well on his way to that.

apice3*

There are plenty of #1 centers in the league. In the Atlantic division, you can name 6. One for each team, plus two in Pitt.

There are not a lot of true #1 D-men in the league. In the Atlantic division, the top 3 are probably Letang, McDonagh, and Staal, and even those 3 aren't great in all situations.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
There are plenty of #1 centers in the league. In the Atlantic division, you can name 6. One for each team, plus two in Pitt.

There are not a lot of true #1 D-men in the league. In the Atlantic division, the top 3 are probably Letang, McDonagh, and Staal, and even those 3 aren't great in all situations.

I would love Larsson to become as gifted with the puck as Letang. I am thinking Larsson is going to be steady offensively 40+ pts, but even better defensively.

Oroku Saki*

Larsson quite easily. We have Zajac locked up and Josefson looking like a future number 2.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
The Larsson/Lidstrom comparison is like nails on a chalkboard to me. It's just fundamentally wrong.

I see a lot of Wade Redden in Larsson. Ottawa-era Redden, of course. I'm comparing playing style, not potential career arcs. Young 'uns who know him as a bad contract punchline might not remember that he was a very steady top-pairing D-man for the Senators. I'd be very pleased if he has a similar (but hopefully longer) peak.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Don't see Larsson as dynamic as Enstrom per say.

nope. enstrom is good offensively, excellent in transition, and a bit above average in his own zone. i think larsson will end up being excellent in his own zone, good transitionally, and a bit above average offensively. they'd make a fantastic pairing, actually.

larsson has all the tools to be a fantastic shutdown guy and minutes eater, but i don't see powerplay qb or 45 point d-man written all over him. i think those hopes are going to fall on merrill. he'll contribute offensively, but more in a 2nd pp unit and 20-30 points kind of way.

that said, i do think he's more valuable, to this franchise at least, than henrique.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I have not seen enough in Larsson yet to really feel we have a franchise type of player with him.

I wanted Hueberdeau to drop or for us to take Corey Murphy at the time. I hope Larsson proves me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->