Post-Game Talk: More than half-way there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba played a great game tonight, and really laid the body on a couple guys--and so did Buff. Generally our defense played good but those 2 guys really stood out tonight.

Yes but Myers and Chiapet were very good also. Seems to me that Chiarot has really elevated his game throughout these playoffs. Didn't know he had it in him and I have always liked him more than most here.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just hope the Jets don't think it will be easy after that first game - playoff hockey (and this forum) has a lot of wild momentum shifts. I'd bet Vegas makes this a series.

BUT it was much easier for us to play our game against VGK than it was against Nashville, you can really see the difference in quality, with their D and overall team D. I think Vegas played a lot of run and gun this year with a hot goalie and I don't think any team would be wise to run and gun with the Jets.

I sure hope that Vegas dresses that dope Reaves the whole series - an idiot to exploit and get PP's off of. Just hope he doesn't hurt one of our stars.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode with Bart and the Elephant. The safari guy says that in the human and the animal world, some people are just plain jerks!

Some people are like this cat - straight up jerks:

0t6zg11rz9by.gif

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I can't believe the HNIC panel said Vegas played so great in the 3rd, not what I saw at all. Jets clamped them down harder than a dog on a chew stick. They had their little desperation push at the end but that was about it.

Vegas had 1 shot on net at 5 on 5 in the 3rd period while down 2 goals. 1 shot. I didn't watch the HNIC panel but someone needs to tell those guys about score effects.

I watched the NBC feed this morning and they had a much better idea of what was going on in the 3rd and what the Jets were trying to accomplish.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
"Vegas played strong in the third period"

"Vegas had 0 high quality scoring chances in the third period."

Both of these statements cannot be true.

Why can't they both be true? Strong doesn't mean good when it means strong.

You can be hard on the puck and hitting like hell and end up with no high quality chances when you play a team like the Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Toby with another solid game and shows us the tiny warrior he is. Jets forechecking disrupted Vegas speed game. Fleury tested early and failed. Clearly not the best Knights have to offer.

But what a relief the Jets had a somewhat easy time with game #1 so soon after ending the Preds series. We didn't have to empty the tank for game #1 which should help negate Vegas' extra rest.

As long as the players don't become overconfident, its good.

Where are all those posters who said Toby wouldn't be able to play playoff hockey? Where are the ones who thought that the '15 Toby, playing with 1 arm, was the best he could do? I have some well boiled crow ready to serve.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Vegas had 1 shot on net at 5 on 5 in the 3rd period while down 2 goals. 1 shot. I didn't watch the HNIC panel but someone needs to tell those guys about score effects.

I watched the NBC feed this morning and they had a much better idea of what was going on in the 3rd and what the Jets were trying to accomplish.

They were completely aware of what the Jets were doing, for sure: the Jets smothering chances and keeping play contained was mentioned many times during their broadcast in the 3rd period. That crew was far better than our "homer-Canadian" crew - they actually had a clue about what the teams were doing.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Why can't they both be true? Strong doesn't mean good when it means strong.

You can be hard on the puck and hitting like hell and end up with no high quality chances when you play a team like the Jets.

When I hear "played strong" I think "played well enough to come back or win". 0 high quality chances is contradictory to that statement with that interpretation. And with context I think that was the point that was intended, that the Jets were outplayed in the 3rd period.

It's a bit of an oxymoron to say they "played strong" if they're chasing the game and they didn't get any high quality chances. You're not really playing good hockey if you're not getting those chances.

I guess saying "played strong" might leave it to interpretation, but I definitely think that they were implying that the Jets were outplayed by Vegas in the third, and I couldn't disagree with them more.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think the players ever get overconfident like fans do. The stay in a routine, focus on the next game and what they need to do in that game. Most of them would have the mental discipline instilled over the years of playing high level hockey not to get caught up in what might be. Not saying every game will go your way, but it won't be because they are taking their opponent lightly.

I have to disagree KB. I've seen too many instances of overconfident teams in sports. You can say that it shouldn't happen to pros but they are human - it does. It is up to the coaches and leaders to nip it in the bud. That must be a fine line though. You want your team to be confident, just not overconfident.

I think it is more a case of "reading their own press-clippings", than it is taking the opposition lightly. They get a little full of themselves.

Reactions: GNP

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I have to disagree KB. I've seen too many instances of overconfident teams in sports. You can say that it shouldn't happen to pros but they are human - it does. It is up to the coaches and leaders to nip it in the bud. That must be a fine line though. You want your team to be confident, just not overconfident.

I think it is more a case of "reading their own press-clippings", than it is taking the opposition lightly. They get a little full of themselves.

Are they overconfident, or is it just that there are two teams playing and competing? Can you provide more than anecdotal evidence?

That last bit is rhetorical, obviously. ;)

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Nice to see the Winnipeg crowd deliver a good performance after 2 sub par efforts by the fans in game 4 and 6 of the Preds series.
To be fair the Team was sub par too. Yes I'm sour that I payed 1700 to take my family to game 4.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
As long as the players don't become overconfident, its good.

Where are all those posters who said Toby wouldn't be able to play playoff hockey? Where are the ones who thought that the '15 Toby, playing with 1 arm, was the best he could do? I have some well boiled crow ready to serve.

Still think he's our worst defenceman and we'd be fine with Morrow.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Just a fast little ball of hate. Tanev and Mattchu are rubbing off on Little a bit.

I really love the way that Little has adjusted his game to suit the makeup of our forwards now, what a smart - team player.
I believe Little was always at his best when he played that Frenchie style. Hard on pucks, tenacious.....just winning battles and gaining possession.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just hope the Jets don't think it will be easy after that first game - playoff hockey (and this forum) has a lot of wild momentum shifts. I'd bet Vegas makes this a series.

BUT it was much easier for us to play our game against VGK than it was against Nashville, you can really see the difference in quality, with their D and overall team D. I think Vegas played a lot of run and gun this year with a hot goalie and I don't think any team would be wise to run and gun with the Jets.

I sure hope that Vegas dresses that dope Reaves the whole series - an idiot to exploit and get PP's off of. Just hope he doesn't hurt one of our stars.

VGN will get their pound of flesh but we are not the best style match up for them. They are better than they looked last night though.

That being said it’s nice to have the lead in the series. I really want to hold serve again tomorrow Knight.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
It wasn't just a homer view either. I mean, it wasn't even close. The SN talking boneheads must have been hallucinating. They had 3 (low danger) shots early in the period. Then the Jets kept them from having any shots for 12 minutes. 12 minutes when score effects say they should have been getting a lot of shots. Then that push at the end which was mostly with their goalie pulled.

During that 12 min stretch they had a fair number of shot attempts off the rush. Low danger, blocked by Jets before getting through to the net. And the puck quickly transitioning back into the Las Vegans D zone.

Jets dominated that 3rd period.
I was shocked when after the game Kelly Hrudey said Vegas dominated the 3rd period.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Little is subtly great
Group a was stupendous.
Morrissey is Teppo v2.0.
Enstrom was excellent and has been vintage Toby.if this is his last season with the Jets,it is one hell of a goodbye.
Wheeler was great as well. That pass to Laine was unreal

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I was shocked when after the game Kelly Hrudey said Vegas dominated the 3rd period.

They must have a Talking Points Wheel of Fortune they spin to come up with stuff. It's like random gibberish that need not have any relevance to the game, or even the entire sport. Even crazier, one of them comes up with this ill-considered gibberish completely out of the blue and the rest of them nod knowingly like bobbleheads.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just a fast little ball of hate. Tanev and Mattchu are rubbing off on Little a bit.

I really love the way that Little has adjusted his game to suit the makeup of our forwards now, what a smart - team player.

Matt P Litts Taz
Copp Lowry Army

Gaze on that bottom 6 and Just let that sink in for a minute......that is nuts. Either of those lines could go up against anyone. Not sure about you guys but when Copp Lowry and Army are on the ice I can breath easier because they so rarely make mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad