Post-Game Talk: More than half-way there.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So, a team of athletes is not subject to the influences of confirmation and groupthink? Don't know what makes them so superhuman, but OK.

It doesn't need to infect 100% of the group to have an effect. Some much smaller % would be sufficient. But, before you place any more burdens on me, that is just another opinion I can't prove. :laugh:

Can we agree to disagree now? I'm not about to change my opinion.

You're welcome to admit that it's next to impossible for you to prove your position, but I will call this line of thought out every time that it's presented as being hogwash. ;)

I never said it was all that common. Yes it is an opinion - and an entirely subjective one at that. It certainly isn't a factor every time a team loses. It requires a reason for a group of players to build up an expectation of an easy win. That means at least the perception of a mismatch.

So: how is it that we determine when the team in question was overconfident?

Or is it more likely that parity exists in the league, and it takes very little to sway the results in favour of one team or the other? A little puck luck here, a few mistakes there, and voila: you have a win going in the direction you didn't expect.

Over-confidence is a fan narrative.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're welcome to admit that it's next to impossible for you to prove your position, but I will call this line of thought out every time that it's presented as being hogwash. ;)

Feel free.
I will continue to hope that the Jets don't become subject to this mythical condition.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They were completely aware of what the Jets were doing, for sure: the Jets smothering chances and keeping play contained was mentioned many times during their broadcast in the 3rd period. That crew was far better than our "homer-Canadian" crew - they actually had a clue about what the teams were doing.

IIRC, the SN crew commented on the Jets dominant performance in the 3rd several times too. It was the idiot panel (Hrudey, Kypreos) who, apparently didn't bother watching the game.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No need to rush him back. Vegas is a joke. Not remotely close to a championship team. Jets will easily beat them without him. Finals are a different story. Hopefully he is back by then. A matchup with Tampa would be tough like the Nashville series.

If he is ready, it would still be a little hard to work him back into the lineup if everyone else stays healthy. There is no real practice time, for one thing. But depending on how this series progresses, I would like to see him get into a game in order to be more ready if/when needed.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Vegas has to win tonight if they want to make this a series so I expect them to come out flying as long as the Jets play their game I can't see Vegas winning.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think the Jet's win Game 2 tonight in a tighter game--likely within 1 goal. I do think the Jet's will lose Game 3 --just a feeling, and Game 4 --the Jet's may take that one, and then Win Game 5 in Winnipeg. Game 4 is the one I'm not to sure about, but I think they get a split in Vegas--either way.

Summary Jet's to win the series in 5 Games ( 6 at the most)
Go JET'S Go :thumbu:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
tumblr_nmvstnV0TI1s2f16eo5_400.gif

"It's only seven wins to The Final"

Reactions: Evil Little

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
He took a page out of Maurice's playoff book when Hendricks was in over Perreault .....

Everyone who said Perreault was ready to go also said Kulikov was. Perreault himself also admitted to wearing a full-contact jersey when he was non-contact in a campaign of disinformation.

Hendricks didn't play over a healthy Perreault.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Vegas has to win tonight if they want to make this a series so I expect them to come out flying as long as the Jets play their game I can't see Vegas winning.

Agreed - if Winnipeg takes this game, it's one heck of a hill to climb for Vegas to come back.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Everyone who said Perreault was ready to go also said Kulikov was. Perreault himself also admitted to wearing a full-contact jersey when he was non-contact in a campaign of disinformation.

Hendricks didn't play over a healthy Perreault.

See post 396 and add sarcasm to it ......

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think the Jet's win Game 2 tonight in a tighter game--likely within 1 goal. I do think the Jet's will lose Game 3 --just a feeling, and Game 4 --the Jet's may take that one, and then Win Game 5 in Winnipeg. Game 4 is the one I'm not to sure about, but I think they get a split in Vegas--either way.

Summary Jet's to win the series in 5 Games ( 6 at the most)
Go JET'S Go :thumbu:
I agree they will split in Vegas but tonight we should find out how good or bad Vegas is ... good teams do not play two bad games in a row.

Reactions: GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Correct. It's hogwash. You're certainly allowed your opinion, just as I'm entitled to disagree with it and place the burden of proof on you to back your claim.

A player or two being overconfident? Maybe. That feeling permeating to a complete professional roster of players? So unlikely that I'll label it hogwash with no hesitation. It's a fan narrative.
I have to disagree with you here, Gin.

I feel like the one thing we do here very commonly is discredit emotions and the psyches of the players. It's one of the biggest impacts of team performance, and especially with a really tight knit group of players, a couple of influencers can permeate the mindset of the whole (or nearly whole) team.

That is why even though people hate these glue guys etc etc, many managers and coaches swear by them. Coaches understand group think, the psychology of team, and chemistry.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The onus is on you to prove your statement. There is no incontrovertible evidence, so lacking same, the burden falls on you to back your statement, not for me to disprove it (though I think I made a solid argument against it prior).

In my opinion, it's hogwash. Parity, the health of the team, and talent are the biggest factors in wins / losses, not some weird "over-confidence".

I wouldn't call it overconfidence as much as letting your foot off the gas even if you dont want to. Sometimes you can't fake desperation when you need to.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I agree they will split in Vegas but tonight we should find out how good or bad Vegas is ... good teams do not play two bad games in a row.

Good post Raider and I agree 100% -- Vegas looked very uptight and nervous, especially in the 1st period. We'll see what their made of tonight. I think the crowd got to them, and the mood in the City--so they are used to it now--so let's get it on !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad