Post-Game Talk: More than half-way there.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I know this is a pretty arrogant take but damnit the jets are making me arrogant these days....VGK had a good run but I think they have run into a wall here. The Jets are deeper, faster, more skilled and the only position that's even is goaltending. I don't think this series goes long. Based on last nights game anyway. But also overall I have been waiting for the shoe to drop with Vegas. Engelland and Sbisa are TERRIBLE defencemen. It's not like they have a Norris candidate in the top 4 either.

Reactions: Rubixpube

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
I know this is a pretty arrogant take but damnit the jets are making me arrogant these days....VGK had a good run but I think they have run into a wall here. The Jets are deeper, faster, more skilled and the only position that's even is goaltending. I don't think this series goes long. Based on last nights game anyway. But also overall I have been waiting for the shoe to drop with Vegas. Engelland and Sbisa are TERRIBLE defencemen. It's not like they have a Norris candidate in the top 4 either.
I thought Jets in five but I’m still nervous as he’ll!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
During the second intermission I tried to finish up a few things in the garage and lost track of time. My daughter came in and told me that Vegas had tied the game.
I was so dejected and slowly made my way downstairs - only to find out she was just joking.
Never have I been so angry and so happy at the same time!!
Your grounded young lady

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
There are few vegas fans in the Jets stand tonight:
A) they are from Vegas and they flew in here to watch the game.

B) they are relatives or close friends of vegas players?

C) they are bandwagon fans.

I can't think of any other choices or reason.
Unless you came from Vegas originally I don’t get the attachment seeing they didn’t exist until this year.
Although some Canadian fan base posters are using this as bait

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Goaltending is even?..................really?

I don't think it is at all.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I just hope the Jets don't think it will be easy after that first game - playoff hockey (and this forum) has a lot of wild momentum shifts. I'd bet Vegas makes this a series.

BUT it was much easier for us to play our game against VGK than it was against Nashville, you can really see the difference in quality, with their D and overall team D. I think Vegas played a lot of run and gun this year with a hot goalie and I don't think any team would be wise to run and gun with the Jets.

I sure hope that Vegas dresses that dope Reaves the whole series - an idiot to exploit and get PP's off of. Just hope he doesn't hurt one of our stars.
I'm still more worried about Neal than Reaves. That guy is a full on douchebag.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
This game is so much about mental discipline and LVK have that in spades, which is why they were so successful over an 82 game schedule. Of course they don't have a Gretzky or the depth of the Preds, but they have a Vezina-quality goalie, a great top-3 and a relatively short series on their side. Anything can happen from here and I would remind people that we beat Nashville by a larger margin in game 1 of our series with them.
I much prefer cautious optimism and a series of pleasant surprises to bravado...but that's just me.
At the end of the day though, our bravado mean nothing at all in how the series will go. Jets beat the Preds in game 1 by a larger margin but were far more dominating in game one against the Knights.

Some of the takes here are interesting, the ones focusing on Vegas being better than they showed. Maybe the Jets had a lot to do with them not looking good, in addition to not being as good as they can be themselves.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
At the end of the day though, our bravado mean nothing at all in how the series will go. Jets beat the Preds in game 1 by a larger margin but were far more dominating in game one against the Knights.

Some of the takes here are interesting, the ones focusing on Vegas being better than they showed. Maybe the Jets had a lot to do with them not looking good, in addition to not being as good as they can be themselves.
Of course we don't influence the course of the series, so people can be fans and manage their expectations any way they choose. I personally identify much more with the team and management approach--less swagger, more restraint, respect for your adversary--victory tastes different that way, more subtle but just as sweet. And losses don't create PGT hell.
The other aspect of our collective bravado which is just as important to me relates to the image of the city. IMO, there is no need to loudly proclaim how great we are--staying classy and understated while being best of class at what you do works much better, and builds a lot more allegiances along the way. The Jets aren't just a hockey team; they and their fans are the image of the city I love in the eyes of the outside world. But again, as I said in my previous post, that's just me.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Of course we don't influence the course of the series, so people can be fans and manage their expectations any way they choose. I personally identify much more with the team and management approach--less swagger, more restraint, respect for your adversary--victory tastes different that way, more subtle but just as sweet. And losses don't create PGT hell.
The other aspect of our collective bravado which is just as important to me relates to the image of the city. IMO, there is no need to loudly proclaim how great we are--staying classy and understated while being best of class at what you do works much better, and builds a lot more allegiances along the way. The Jets aren't just a hockey team; they are, to some degree, the the personification of the city I love in the eyes of the outside world. But again, as I said in my previous post, that's just me.
I'm not sure I see a lot of bravado tbh, or disrespect for that matter. I think you can believe your team is better without it being bravado and without it being a sign of disrespect. It's ok for outside people to talk about the Jets being a stronger team but when it's own fan base talks about it, it becomes a show of disrespect. I don't get that.

Saying and thinking it are the same thing at the end of the day, you can be confident and classy at the same time. Sometimes false modesty can be nothing but ingratiating.

This town and fan base will always carry a sense of modesty, it's part of who we are.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not sure I see a lot of bravado tbh, or disrespect for that matter. I think you can believe your team is better without it being bravado and without it being a sign of disrespect. It's ok for outside people to talk about the Jets being a stronger team but when it's own fan base talks about it, it becomes a show of disrespect. I don't get that.

Saying and thinking it are the same thing at the end of the day, you can be confident and classy at the same time. Sometimes false modesty can be nothing but ingratiating.

This town and fan base will always carry a sense of modesty, it's part of who we are.
Plus we have had to be quiet and humble for a very , very LOOOOOONG time . I say it's ok to boast a little , just a little , for how far this team has come and could go . :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It will be embarrassing because Helle is better and people saw it in a 7 game series Preds Vs Jets.

Hopefully a non issue because hopefully Helle wins it.

I don't like Helle's chances of winning it, but you never know. It will probably cost Jets at contract time if he does win it.

Has a Vezina winning goalie never had a bad playoff before? I just don't see it as embarrassing. They specifically hold the voting before the playoffs so that voters won't be unduly influenced by playoff performances.

You may disagree with awarding it based on the regular season but that is how it is.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm saying it's all hogwash. ;)

That's your projection, as you have no way of verifying this claim.

OK, no point in arguing. I can't prove it ..... and you can't disprove it. :)

We can agree it would be a bad thing to happen to the Jets - even if we believe it almost never happens. :)

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
OK, no point in arguing. I can't prove it ..... and you can't disprove it. :)

We can agree it would be a bad thing to happen to the Jets - even if we believe it almost never happens. :)

I can't believe you'd say "no point in arguing". That's all we do here is argue. The best arguments are about things that we can neither prove nor disprove. We're all hockey experts in here.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

"The Jets are a significant favorite to win the series" -- not bravado, just a statement of one's assessment of the quantitative chances of success.
"This series is already over" -- *that's* bravado.

Reactions: one other person

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't believe you'd say "no point in arguing". That's all we do here is argue. The best arguments are about things that we can neither prove nor disprove. We're all hockey experts in here.

I'd debate that with you. :laugh:

In this case we've both used up all the ammunition there is. There is no proof. There is nothing more to say. It would be a pointless argument.

I like to discuss differing opinions. I have no use for simply contradicting one another.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
In this case we've both used up all the ammunition there is. There is no proof. There is nothing more to say. It would be a pointless argument.

The onus is on you to prove your statement. There is no incontrovertible evidence, so lacking same, the burden falls on you to back your statement, not for me to disprove it (though I think I made a solid argument against it prior).

In my opinion, it's hogwash. Parity, the health of the team, and talent are the biggest factors in wins / losses, not some weird "over-confidence".

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Completely agree. The only addition I'd make is to remember to leave your TV on a channel that isn't the one being PVRed. It really sucks to turn on your TV and be greeted with the live game... and of course your eyes are going to uncontrollably look at the score. Note that this shouldn't be a big issue during the playoffs since the games are on CBC and not TSN... unless of course you're into CBC programming... ;)

I know this probably won’t help, but in Finland I can watch delayed using chromecast.. just need to be really careful not to go live accidentally.

I first turn off sound on TV, then turn on chromecast to viaplay while physically blocking my eyes from TV. I then scroll to correct timeslot while also physically blocking most of phone screen.

Viaplay android TV app does not support rewind during live events, chromecast does. Perhaps some streaming service over there supports rewind on chromecast?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The onus is on you to prove your statement. There is no incontrovertible evidence, so lacking same, the burden falls on you to back your statement, not for me to disprove it (though I think I made a solid argument against it prior).

In my opinion, it's hogwash. Parity, the health of the team, and talent are the biggest factors in wins / losses, not some weird "over-confidence".

Did I say it was 'the biggest factor'? One of the 'biggest factors'?

Sometimes it is. You are free to disagree. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

I conceded way back that I have no proof to offer. It could be a massive factor, the single biggest factor in determining wins/losses but it would still be unprovable AFAIK. If some sports psychologist can/has researched it there may be some evidence that I am not aware of. I can't imagine a valid approach to researching it but that doesn't mean there can't be one.

When there is parity what would one team base extreme confidence on? Overconfidence can only exist when one group can find reason to expect an easy win.

Do you also deny that individual confidence plays a role in a players performance? Or are you simply denying the existence of a group confidence?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Or are you simply denying the existence of a group confidence?

Correct. It's hogwash. You're certainly allowed your opinion, just as I'm entitled to disagree with it and place the burden of proof on you to back your claim.

A player or two being overconfident? Maybe. That feeling permeating to a complete professional roster of players? So unlikely that I'll label it hogwash with no hesitation. It's a fan narrative.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Correct. It's hogwash. You're certainly allowed your opinion, just as I'm entitled to disagree with it and place the burden of proof on you to back your claim.

A player or two being overconfident? Maybe. That feeling permeating to a complete professional roster of players? So unlikely that I'll label it hogwash with no hesitation. It's a fan narrative.

So, a team of athletes is not subject to the influences of confirmation and groupthink? Don't know what makes them so superhuman, but OK.

It doesn't need to infect 100% of the group to have an effect. Some much smaller % would be sufficient. But, before you place any more burdens on me, that is just another opinion I can't prove. :laugh:

Can we agree to disagree now? I'm not about to change my opinion.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Fair enough. Things have changed. But I still know I have seen many cases of overconfidence over the years. It may be less common, but it does exist.
The problem is, you can't actually state something like that as a fact, because there is no way to measure "overconfidence", except in each individual's head.

You think you've seen overconfidence, but would be hard-pressed to define it. What, exactly, makes it overconfidence, and not nerves, or a pumped-up opponent, or one of a billion other things?

It's a predetermined conclusion looking for proof. If you believe that overconfidence is a problem, every time the team in question loses, it's overconfidence, because that's what you've already determined it is...the only problem being, of course, that there is no accurate description of overconfidence.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The problem is, you can't actually state something like that as a fact, because there is no way to measure "overconfidence", except in each individual's head.

You think you've seen overconfidence, but would be hard-pressed to define it. What, exactly, makes it overconfidence, and not nerves, or a pumped-up opponent, or one of a billion other things?

It's a predetermined conclusion looking for proof. If you believe that overconfidence is a problem, every time the team in question loses, it's overconfidence, because that's what you've already determined it is...the only problem being, of course, that there is no accurate description of overconfidence.

I never said it was all that common. Yes it is an opinion - and an entirely subjective one at that. It certainly isn't a factor every time a team loses. It requires a reason for a group of players to build up an expectation of an easy win. That means at least the perception of a mismatch.

I don't agree that there is no description of overconfidence. It is empirical data that is missing. What makes it overconfidence is an expectation of winning that is not supported by objective comparison of the 2 teams.

I believe the Bombers of a couple of years ago were an example of an overconfident team. All we heard about was their "swagger". But, still JMO.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I think that if overconfidence every really is a problem, it's more common in football than in hockey, mostly because of the intense psychological nature of football.

I think overconfidence is the least likely explanation for any loss by the Jets in these playoffs. What they've shown me so far is how unbelievably focused they are on their goal, and how no individual game throws them off. It's why they haven't lost two games in a row in these playoffs, and at this point I'm not even sure they're capable of losing two games in a row. As with everything else I say, I could be wrong, though.

This team focus goes back to the coach, and I think it's time that all previous comments or opinions about Paul Maurice's lack of coaching skills get put aside. They're wrong. Full stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad