Speculation: More players worth a 1st round pick than picks in play.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Hayes would be worth a couple late first rounders and a good prospect for a win now team. Not often you get a defensive beast in a 6 ft 4 frame that can produce offense as well. Perfect for playoffs.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I completely disagree that it's a buyers market this year. There are 22 teams either in a playoff spot or within 3 points of a playoff spot. At least 10 of those teams probably think they are legitimate Stanley Cup contenders.

But, those barely in the race teams should not be buying big.

Nash/Win should be looking for forward scoring.
STL on such a streak now, that their GM might want to keep it rolling. Not sure what they would even want to acquire
Dallas - not sure they are good enough to be making a big move
Calgary - either a vet goalie or scoring up front
SJ - add depth
LV - no word on what they would look for
TB - a RHD or gritty forward
NYI - haven't followed them, so not sure
WAS - very little cap space left. Likely a depth move
PIT - Add D
TOR - gritty forward or RHD
BOS - scoring forward

How many are going to be in the running for Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Simmonds, Nyqvist, Hayes, Zuc, Kreider, Jensen, E. Staal, Martinez, etc.?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I get the feeling that's why we heard earlier that NYR might be willing to part with Zucc for a 2nd + prospect. IMO he's worth a 1st.

Reactions: Pucktrader

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
These are the "rentals" worth a 1st (excluding guys on contenders and Skinner):

Stone
Panarin
Duchene
Bobrovsky
Staal
Hayes
Nyquist

The next class includes:

Ferland
Jensen
Howard
Dzingel
Zuccarello
Brassard
Panik
Edler
Hagelin
Johansson

Who are all probably worth a 2nd or so, maybe with a + for the first 5 names.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
This is just a slow boring market. Even the rumor mill is super quiet. I'm guessing there will be a number of players going for a 2nd and prospect who would have gone for a first in the past. I'm not even sure we see more than four first round picks traded between now and the deadline.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think the Dzingles and Zuccarellos of this world gets a 1st rounder this year.

Reactions: Ivan13

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I completely disagree that it's a buyers market this year. There are 22 teams either in a playoff spot or within 3 points of a playoff spot. At least 10 of those teams probably think they are legitimate Stanley Cup contenders.

Colorado and Vancouver already said they won’t be looking to spend a 1st, Minnesota leaked that the green light has been given to sell and trade UFAs, and Anaheim’s GM essentially made clear that he plans to get rid of players that don’t fit. Arizona and Chicago both obviously shouldn’t and won’t be moving futures in exchange for present assets.

That right there brings it down to 16. Then there are teams like Carolina and Columbus that could really go either way with guys like Ferland, Panarin, and Bobrovsky.

Then you have to consider the amount of high end top-6 forwards available that will be headed to UFA. Every single one of Nyquist, E. Staal, Panarin, Stone, Zuccarello, and Hayes would have an argument for best rental available at last year’s trade deadline. On top of that, there are a lot of other pending UFAs that will also be coveted like Bobrovsky, Howard, Dzingel, Simmonds, Ferland, Silfverberg, Johansson, Jensen, Brassard, etc.

I'm sure there are a few other pending UFAs that I forgot. Then you've got other guys with term whose names have come up - Jonathan Huberdeau, Mike Hoffman, Brayden Schenn, Alec Martinez - maybe not one of those guys, but there's probably going to be at least one player with term who gets moved and kind of shocks us all.

Maybe there aren’t a lot of true sellers. I don't even agree with that, but if I did, it doesn't matter because the teams that are selling all have some damn good pieces to give. And that’s why this year’s trade market is going to be favorable to buyers at the deadline.

Last edited:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

STL on such a streak now, that their GM might want to keep it rolling. Not sure what they would even want to acquire
SJ - add depth
PIT - Add D
BOS - scoring forward

How many are going to be in the running for Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Simmonds, Nyqvist, Hayes, Zuc, Kreider, Jensen, E. Staal, Martinez, etc.?
Toronto's 1st is gone. SJ has no 1st in 2019 or 2020, and Tampa's can't be traded as it's conditionally going to NYR if Tampa wins the cup.
Narrows the field a bit for the top UFAs.
Also, Washington just about never makes big adds at the deadline, Pittsburgh may have made their moves already and Montreal says no 1st for a rental.
As far as the top 5 or so UFA, I'd say you could consider all 6 of these teams out of the running.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

SJ - add depth
PIT - Add D
BOS - scoring forward

So I really only think the 1st half of your list there will get a 1st round pick. But for example, Simmonds, look how many teams you listed are looking for a gritty/scoring forward. 6. Coincidentally, he's been linked to Nashville, Winnipeg, Calgary, Tampa, Boston, and Toronto in some capacity. Those teams, whether they plan to actually make the trade, will drive the price up for their competitors. The same can be said for most of the players on the top half of that list. Let's say Winnipeg wants Duchene, it's in Nashville's best interest to make Winnipeg pay top dollar+. Boston wants Simmonds, Toronto will make some sort of offer to drive the price up.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
It's funny how 1st round picks hold this mystique when the stats show that many simply dont pan out. I mean I'm not saying I know a better way of acquiring young talent, but the effort teams go to to gather picks doesn't always square with the underwhelming outcome.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dzingel, Nyquist, Zucc, Hayes all end up 2+.

Howard doesnt get moved.
Yep. None of them except maybe Zucc warrant a 1st, imo. Even then, without an extension in place, it'd be a tough sell. I'd love to get Zuccarello in SJ. He'd fit great with Couture or Hertl. Not sure what we could offer.

Reactions: Pucktrader

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Colorado and Vancouver already said they won’t be looking to spend a 1st, Minnesota leaked that the green light has been given to sell and trade UFAs, and Anaheim’s GM essentially made clear that he plans to get rid of players that don’t fit. Arizona and Chicago both obviously shouldn’t and won’t be moving futures in exchange for present assets.

That right there brings it down to 16. Then there are teams like Carolina and Columbus that could really go either way with guys like Ferland, Panarin, and Bobrovsky.

Then you have to consider the amount of high end top-6 forwards available that will be headed to UFA. Every single one of Nyquist, E. Staal, Panarin, Stone, Zuccarello, and Hayes would have an argument for best rental available at last year’s trade deadline. On top of that, there are a lot of other pending UFAs that will also be coveted like Bobrovsky, Howard, Dzingel, Simmonds, Ferland, Silfverberg, Johansson, Jensen, Brassard, etc.

I'm sure there are a few other pending UFAs that I forgot. Then you've got other guys with term whose names have come up - Jonathan Huberdeau, Mike Hoffman, Brayden Schenn, Alec Martinez - maybe not one of those guys, but there's probably going to be at least one player with term who gets moved and kind of shocks us all.

Maybe there aren’t a lot of true sellers. I don't even agree with that, but if I did, it doesn't matter because the teams that are selling all have some damn good pieces to give. And that’s why this year’s trade market is going to be favorable to buyers at the deadline.

In the end, it's going to come down to what is being offered. There is a world where none (or just a few) get traded. Does Columbus need to trade Panarin & Bob, no. Is Hayes 100% gone, probably not. Is Ottawa going to trade Stone or Duchene for anything less that top dollar, definitely not. Simmonds, yeah probably will be traded, but only if it outweighs keeping him for a potential playoff run. Schenn, with the Blues hot streak, 0% chance.

The trade deadline is NEVER a buyers market. You always pay a premium for players to help you for a playoff push. Just look at the return that Tatar got last year. Vegas played the waiting game with Karlsson, didn't get him, made a quick choice, and paid way too much for Tatar. I feel this year will go the same way. Most teams will wait out Panarin, Duchene, and Stone. Then overpay for Simmonds, Hayes, Zuccarello, and Nyqvist.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In the end, it's going to come down to what is being offered. There is a world where none (or just a few) get traded. Does Columbus need to trade Panarin & Bob, no. Is Hayes 100% gone, probably not. Is Ottawa going to trade Stone or Duchene for anything less that top dollar, definitely not. Simmonds, yeah probably will be traded, but only if it outweighs keeping him for a potential playoff run. Schenn, with the Blues hot streak, 0% chance.

The trade deadline is NEVER a buyers market. You always pay a premium for players to help you for a playoff push. Just look at the return that Tatar got last year. Vegas played the waiting game with Karlsson, didn't get him, made a quick choice, and paid way too much for Tatar. I feel this year will go the same way. Most teams will wait out Panarin, Duchene, and Stone. Then overpay for Simmonds, Hayes, Zuccarello, and Nyqvist.

Ottawa traded Erik f***ing Karlsson for pennies on the dollar, what makes you think they'll get top dollar for those two? They won't. They absolutely have to trade Duchene who won't be re-signing and they're already losing leverage with the failed contract negotiations and the impending scratch on Thursday. They're likely going to trade him a few days before the deadline and in doing so, set the maximum price for any non Panarin/Stone rental. Given Ottawa's very poor history in trades, it's fairly safe to assume that they'll set that price pretty low.

Tatar at last year's trade deadline isn't really relevant because Tatar had term and he was one of the best players to be traded at the deadline. When Detroit trades a similar player in Gustav Nyquist as a rental who isn't top-3 in his TDL class, they're going to get a much weaker return.

If you're going to go around citing last year's trade deadline, why don't you remind us of Evander Kane? He was the best rental on the market, and he was traded for a conditional 1st, a 4th, and a D prospect. The trade deadline is a bit of a crapshoot and it's possible

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Just the opposite. Teams will be reluctant to pay the high prices and G.Ms that do not take a decent but some what underwhelming deal will be left standing when the music stops at the deadline. It will be like when the N.Y.I could not recoup the value on Vanek when everybody and their dog knew he had to be moved. Montreal got him for a 2nd and some loose change.

Burke (Calgary)that hard ass refused to move Callmari (ufa) that year due to what he felt were low prices.

Dorian better take what he can get early ........ because as soon as he starts to sweat...... (lol ...yesterday) trade value for his stars go down. He has 3 good pieces to move..... I doubt he has the power skills and poker face to pull it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Hayes would be worth a couple late first rounders and a good prospect for a win now team. Not often you get a defensive beast in a 6 ft 4 frame that can produce offense as well. Perfect for playoffs.

No he's not.
If he were the Rangers would have already signed him to a contract.
Even though he's having a career year so hus value is pretty high to be trading him is the wrong move by NY.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I love how how NYR fans are pumping Hayes' tires. he's having himself a career year, but I just find it funny they're saying he's this perfect playoff player.

The dude has 10 points in 34 playoff games. He's obviously gotten better, but historically he disappears in the playoffs.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Possible first in play from now until deadline....

1) Winnipeg
2) Nashville
3) Pittsburgh
4) Calgary
5) Vegas
6) Washington
7) Boston

Of the above 7 teams I see a max 4 1st round picks moved. (WPG/NASH/BOSTON/) plus 1 more.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Wonder if a GM like Botts (BUF) can take advantage of such a situation and leverage the fact that he owns 3 1sts to his advantage.
Team A wants Duchene.
Team B wants 1sts in return.
Team A doesn't have 1sts or not enough to match team B's demand.
BUF is added to the deal and will send a 1st to Team B.
Team A gets Duchene
BUF gets a prospect/player in return from team A.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You realize it's been over a decade since a team gave up 2 first rounders for a deadline rental, right?

I like Hayes, but there are too many high end forwards available, some of which have term. Hayes is going to be lucky to return just 1st, let alone a couple of them.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
In the end, when you factor in the Toronto, San Jose, and Tampa picks that have been traded, or conditionally traded, the final tally likely won't be that low. Yet from this point on, the number of picks isn't likely to be very high at all. It's seemingly very unlikely that the Pens and Caps will be dealing their firsts. Perhaps Winnipeg, Nashville, Calgary, Vegas, and Boston will be willing to deal fist rounders, but they will only be willing to do so to compete for however many of Duchene, Stone and Panarin actually hit the trade market. Perhaps Bobrovsky, if a number of factors on the seller and buyers sides align. I expect Columbus trades Panarin and that Bobrovsky stays, myself.

Those three/four players might be the only players on the market that buyers deem worthy of first rounders. Teams will bid high for them. Yet most of the remaining players for whom sellers have reportedly been seeking first rounders simply aren't going to garner that sort of return from buyers.

Plenty of seconds and thirds will be offered, and though not all, many sellers will lower their prices.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
In terms of PIT/JR, if theres no LW/D solution that JR can use past this season, he'll pretty likely keep his 1st and potentially use it pre-draft deal for one of those solutions.
He's not a big 1st for rental guy since being in PIT and they aren't even close to making the PO's yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad