Speculation: More players worth a 1st round pick than picks in play.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I could see any of the following teams giving up their 1st since it will most likely be a late 1st:

- Nashville
- NYI
- Pittsburgh
- Boston
- Winnipeg
- Calgary
- TB
- Washington
- Montreal

It will come down to needs and availability. Not sure how many of these teams need forwards, but the following forwards definitely have a 1st round value (Or more):

- Panarin
- Stone
- Duchene
- Nyquist
- Hayes
- Schenn

I could see NYI, Nashville, Montreal, Boston, or Pittsburgh making a push for a forward, and we will likely see Stone be one of the first to go.

TB doesn't have the full rights to their first
Montreal has already said theirs is off the table
Calgary has expressed extreme hesitation
Washington won a cup without giving up a first
Etc

That's 4 firsts that are eager to move and a lot more names.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Shattenkirk trade cured MacLellan of trading his first round pick. The Caps may be shopping but not in that price range

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Once 2 or 3 teams give up their 1st for a rental is there a 4th team willing to give up their 1st? I'd be surprised..

Buffalo has a late first. I think it’s 28th right now. It’s acquired from somebody. Could buffalo move it if they feel confident pursing playoffs? They already have 2 other ones In the first round.

Last edited:

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
It’s going to be an interesting day. My bet is Duchene goes off the board early. Panarin holds up the rest of the market like Karlsson did last year. Panarin doesn’t move and there is a flurry of last minute trades.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Buffalo has a late first. I think it’s 28th right now. It’s acquired from somebody. Could buffalo move it if they feel confident pursing playoffs? They already have 2 other ones In the first round.
You're talking about San Jose's 1st, and it's not 28th right now, it's 16-31st.

Buffalo is rightly confident that they will not make the playoffs and some people are even speculating that they may try to trade Jeff Skinner for more futures.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The amazing thing is....no matter who picks up who, that said team will still not be stronger than Tampa. This is the year (unless you are super close) to skip. Teams like Montreal and the Islanders in the East plus all those teams fighting in the west to make the playoffs should not be giving up the farm.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think it could be interesting to see. I think there's a few players that are sure-fire 1st round pick gainers in a trade, but if you are a team bidding for one of those and you don't get them, are you really going to just give up a first for whatever is left?

I feel like Nashville and Winnipeg are the only teams that I feel relatively confident that they want to make a splash.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
This is definitely a thing. Some of these guys will have to be moved for better prospects (relative to the value of the player) instead of the first.

Maybe some teams hold onto a player because they don’t get what they want.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
TB doesn't have the full rights to their first
Montreal has already said theirs is off the table
Calgary has expressed extreme hesitation
Washington won a cup without giving up a first
Etc

That's 4 firsts that are eager to move and a lot more names.
Toronto and San Jose have moved theirs

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Like I said in another thread, TD barely ever produces as many trades as HF or media thinks it does. Hype day imo.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
I could see any of the following teams giving up their 1st since it will most likely be a late 1st:

- Nashville
- NYI
- Pittsburgh
- Boston
- Winnipeg
- Calgary
- TB
- Washington
- Montreal

It will come down to needs and availability. Not sure how many of these teams need forwards, but the following forwards definitely have a 1st round value (Or more):

- Panarin
- Stone
- Duchene
- Nyquist
- Hayes
- Schenn

I could see NYI, Nashville, Montreal, Boston, or Pittsburgh making a push for a forward, and we will likely see Stone be one of the first to go.
MTL would be risky!

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
If Edler is healthy in the next few days, and OK to move, he would return a 1st without question.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don’t think Panarin is going anywhere. I think Columbus won’t get the return necessary to move him and value having him for the playoffs more than a sub-par return. I can’t say I’d blame Jarmo if that ends up being the case.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
As a Canuck fan, I would love Dzingle, if we could be assured of his signing, and that is the rub, can you get assurances on any of these players prior to making a trade.

The Canucks are still rebuilding, and I honestly do not want to through away a 2nd, for the chance at Dzingle, when I can wait and see who is left at Free Agency.

If I can talk to his agent, and have a verbal agreement, then I would offer a 2020 2nd and Goldobin. Is that enough?
Well, it is for me......because I think we can wait until July...….and again there is the rub....

It will be an interesting week...….I wonder who looses their player for nothing?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I don’t think Panarin is going anywhere. I think Columbus won’t get the return necessary to move him and value having him for the playoffs more than a sub-par return. I can’t say I’d blame Jarmo if that ends up being the case.

The Jackets should just keep him and see what happens in the playoffs.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I completely disagree that it's a buyers market this year. There are 22 teams either in a playoff spot or within 3 points of a playoff spot. At least 10 of those teams probably think they are legitimate Stanley Cup contenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad