Speculation: More Moves Coming?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Dont think its that tough to find a Desmith caliber goaltender.

Van did it mainly for the cap space. We did it mainly for the pick.
Begs the question why Hughes would commit and give a raise to Allen if goalies better than Allen are easily picked up in the first place

Reactions: MadMslm

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Has there ever been a trade without a scenario that turns out badly?

Great point.

Wonder how a team would ever deal with losing a starting goalie to injury.

Maybe Vegas has a suggestion
Vegas had capable backups. We just jettisoned one and may lose Primeau as well.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Begs the question why Hughes would commit and give a raise to Allen if goalies better than Allen are easily picked up in the first place
It's hard to know how good Allen is. He was an excellent complement to Price his first season here, our best backup option in a long time.

The following season we iced the worst defense in NHL history, and aside from a few games of Hammburgler magic, Allen was the only goalie that the team stood a chance in front of. Montembeault was still giving up 4 goals a game.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Then he has to be willing to waive Allen, Pearson, Armia, Evans or some other vet. Personally, that would be fine with me, but will he do it? Many here say he won't, in order to protect the chemistry of this terrible team, rather than be willing to shake it up.
Even if they are waived are we saving 6M$, isn’t only like 1M$ being buried and the rest is still on the books? Unless one of them getting pick up…

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Even if they are waived are we saving 6M$, isn’t only like 1M$ being buried and the rest is still on the books? Unless one of them getting pick up…
That is correct. But we are now at 27 players and can file with 21 including Price on regular IR. We will be compliant if we just demote the waiver-exempt players and keep the cheaper waiver-eligible players on the 20 man roster EXCEPT we now need to waive at least one of Allen, Pearson, Armia or another vet making more than $1,150,000.

Reactions: Bottle Rocket

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I would think they like his leadership and presence. He is a good vet but yeah data suggest he is a weak goaltender.

Reactions: BLONG7

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Because he assumed that Alan's level of play at the outset of last season was indicative of his general caliber as a goaltender and, we can infer, he felt that Alan's presence in the room would have a positive impact on maturing players.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bit of a head scratcher for sure............paying him the extra 1M for leadership seems a little much....cap is of no real issue for the habs, but still the one thing I thought Hughes did was strange....

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
That is correct. But we are now at 27 players and can file with 21 including Price on regular IR. We will be compliant if we just demote the waiver-exempt players and keep the cheaper waiver-eligible players on the 20 man roster EXCEPT we now need to waive at least one of Allen, Pearson, Armia or another vet making more than $1,150,000.
For that exact reason I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Hughes break with his traditional approach and waive a veteran. Someone like Armia has absolutely no appeal to other teams at his current salary and with another year. Unless he absolutely kills it at camp and even then other GMs will think twice.

If he does I would fully expect Hughes to explain that to the player and immediatly recall him the minute Carey gets on LTIR.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How can we take on Pearson contract and stay under cap until Price is LTIR

Wideman & Dvorak probably go on pre-season LTIR. Wideman is out indefinitely, and it doesn't sound like Dvorak is all that close. Sometime in November return now I believe.

After that, there's a multitude of players we can send down to clear cap who don't have to pass through waivers.

I imagine by the time Dvorak is back, one of Gallagher, Pearson or Monahan are injured or all 3.

We'll be using LTIR all year again. Hopefully, Pearson and Monahan are healthy for the TDL this year.

Price will get put on LTIR NHL opening day.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Wideman & Dvorak probably go on pre-season LTIR. Wideman is out indefinitely, and it doesn't sound like Dvorak is all that close. Sometime in November return now I believe.

After that, there's a multitude of players we can send down to clear cap who don't have to pass through waivers.

I imagine by the time Dvorak is back, one of Gallagher, Pearson or Monahan are injured or all 3.

We'll be using LTIR all year again. Hopefully, Pearson and Monahan are healthy for the TDL this year.

Price will get put on LTIR NHL opening day.
I believe the injured guys can be on the 20 man roster since compliance day is not a game day, but if Price is one of the 2 goalies on the roster, then one of Allen or Monty is waived meaning Allen.

So I did it with 20 plus Price on regular IR. Works easily. Wideman and Dvorak do not need to go on pre-season LTIR.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
For that exact reason I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Hughes break with his traditional approach and waive a veteran. Someone like Armia has absolutely no appeal to other teams at his current salary and with another year. Unless he absolutely kills it at camp and even then other GMs will think twice.

If he does I would fully expect Hughes to explain that to the player and immediatly recall him the minute Carey gets on LTIR.

I also expect Armia to be on waivers. This is his last year in MTL. Probably a buyout next summer.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Wideman & Dvorak probably go on pre-season LTIR. Wideman is out indefinitely, and it doesn't sound like Dvorak is all that close.
That doesn't sound right. They are trying to avoid placing any players on LTIR before the season starts.

It's easy to have a 20 man roster that includes Price, Dvorak, and Wideman and be under the cap simply by utilising a paper transaction that sends Slafkovsky, Xhekaj, Harris, Barron, Guhle, and RHP down to the minors on opening day and recalling them when Price gets placed on LTIR

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That doesn't sound right. They are trying to avoid placing any players on LTIR before the season starts.

It's easy to have a 20 man roster that includes Price, Dvorak, and Wideman and be under the cap simply by utilising a paper transaction that sends Slafkovsky, Xhekaj, Harris, Barron, Guhle, and RHP down to the minors on opening day and recalling them when Price gets placed on LTIR
Yes, but not Slafkovsky due to the huge potential bonuses.

Still works without demoting him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I don't much about the cap with LTIR, but I can't image Wideman's 770k, or whatever cap hit will effect them that much.

Habs might be able to waive and paper transaction enough to get underneath without any off-season LTIR

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Without injuries, Armia has no place in the starting 12.

Pearson-Suzuki-Caufield
Slafkovsky-Monahan-Dach
Newhook-Dvorak-Anderson
RHP-Evans-Gallagher

You can move guys around, but these are the top 12 forwards.

I don't much about the cap with LTIR, but I can't image Wideman's 770k, or whatever cap hit will effect them that much.

Habs might be able to waive and paper transaction enough to get underneath without any off-season LTIR
Yes, and not even close.

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Without injuries, Armia has no place in the starting 12.

Pearson-Suzuki-Caufield
Slafkovsky-Monahan-Dach
Newhook-Dvorak-Anderson
RHP-Evans-Gallagher

You can move guys around, but these are the top 12 forwards.
Same top 12 as you, only I’m not that into giving prime minutes to Pearson. I want a Newhook or a RHP with the top 2 players to see growth and progress with our young guns.
Pearson… not a fan of trying to hype up the value, I see more return on investment with big minutes internally rather than creating 2nd round value for a trade involving Pearson.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Same top 12 as you, only I’m not that into giving prime minutes to Pearson. I want a Newhook or a RHP with the top 2 players to see growth and progress with our young guns.
Pearson… not a fan of trying to hype up the value, I see more return on investment with big minutes internally rather than creating 2nd round value for a trade involving Pearson.
I think we end up seeing to start the season
Monahan- Suzuki- caufield
Slaf-dach-rhp
Anderson-newhook-pearson
Gallagher-evans- Pearson
And then see it change as DVo comes back

Reactions: Gustave

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sure, let's see. Monahan could take an extra shift on the LW there in key situations, and Pearson will not be on the PP.

Please take note that for me it is not about hyping anybody's value. The grit and expoerience Tanner brings to the dynamic duo may be quite impactful, so I won't be surprised if they try that line again.

The idea is to outscore the opposition on a nightly basis, not just pad the offensive stats of three first line guys. I hope the brass looks at it the same way. Ironically, spreading the scoring threats a bit may help Suzufield anyway, as the opponents' defensive pillars won't be focused just on them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

no, they want to put Price on in season LTIR. You have to understand how LTIR works, it's only going to give you more cap space if you are 100% certain that player will MISS the ENTIRE season. The other players won't, so they don't matter for in season LTIR.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I think we end up seeing to start the season
Monahan- Suzuki- caufield
Slaf-dach-rhp
Anderson-newhook-pearson
Gallagher-evans- Pearson
And then see it change as DVo comes back
Pearson's ok and stuff but no need to ice him on 2 lines 😜

• Haha
Reactions: tinyzombies