Speculation: More Moves Coming?

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Yeah I heard that... Arpon asks if he needs to shed some salaries, and he starts off by saying "No and that there's other ways of doing it" rough paraphrase.. so I'm not sure what he means.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I missed the beginning of the presser. Did he say anything about Desmith's future with the Habs? Did anyone ask him about Desmith?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I felt he was referring to which paper transactions or waiver placements he’ll have to do after training camp.

Does anybody else feel like there are any medium or big moves ahead? He acquired Monahan last August, so who knows, but it doesn’t seem like there is anything around the bend.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
I missed the beginning of the presser. Did he say anything about Desmith's future with the Habs? Did anyone ask him about Desmith?
“I told Casey to be patient,” Hughes said. “The idea is not to bury him in the AHL, so we’ll continue looking at opportunities to either trade him or maybe change a few things, but it might take some time because the goalie market doesn’t move very quickly.”

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Could be just trading/waiving one of the G, or burying a contract in the AHL. Anyway Hughes seemed pretty confident he would make it work.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We know they could move a goalie or two since we have 3 NHL goalies, 2 prospects plus Mann and whatever they are doing with Vrbetic. That's a lot of goalies.

But the hint at waivers is very interesting to me, I wonder if they would look at sending guys like Armia, Allen, to Laval

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
We know they could move a goalie or two since we have 3 NHL goalies, 2 prospects plus Mann and whatever they are doing with Vrbetic. That's a lot of goalies.

But the hint at waivers is very interesting to me, I wonder if they would look at sending guys like Armia, Allen, to Laval
At this rate wouldn’t they have to waive at least one NHL contract (not incl Harris or RHP)?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
“I told Casey to be patient,” Hughes said. “The idea is not to bury him in the AHL, so we’ll continue looking at opportunities to either trade him or maybe change a few things, but it might take some time because the goalie market doesn’t move very quickly.”
He should be patient, there are always training camp injuries. Interested to see where Jaro Halak lands though. I guess he's had offers but is waiting for a backup role to emerge.

i.e. the number of goaltender injuries seems to be on the rise. Vegas is a great example.

Reactions: HabzSauce and the

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Having played with the armchair GM feature on Capfriendly - Technically the team can go down to just $9,584 cap space and only lose Wideman on waivers (not that he would be taken).
That is with no further moves and a full roster. Just send Barron, Slaf and Harris down temporarily.
This would absolutely max out available LTIR once Price is placed there.

• Wow
Reactions: Fenris and ReHabs

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Yes Allen or DeSmith should be moved, but I think training camp will answer that Question. I think that Hughes has someting else brewing when he hinted that MTL will be Cap Compliant... Oh! to be a fly on the Wall in the Habs War Room?

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Next season, the players below will be battling for spots and would need to go through waivers if re-assigned. Keep in mind, many of them re-signed as RFAs with the Habs this off-season. The Habs chose to retain them by extending QOs and a few are good enough to be claimed as depth. The list is as follows:

1) Nicolas Beaudin
2) Cayden Primeau
3) Jesse Ylönen
4) Michael Pezzetta
5) Johnathan Kovacevic
6) Mitchell Stephens
7) Lucas Condotta

The following newcomers who will be fighting for spots will also need to go through waivers if sent down but will likely have few takers:

1) Casey DeSmith
2) Gustav Lindström
3) Philippe Maillet
4) Brady Keeper
5) Lias Anderson

List of players taking up roster spots who are not meeting expectations or that no longer fill any needs:

1) Jake Allen
2) Joël Armia
3) Chris Wideman

Average players with slightly high caphits, vets on the decline or lengthy terms who might still hold some value if traded:

1) Christian Dvorak
2) David Savard
3) Josh Anderson
4) Jake Evans

LTIR candidates or bad contracts with excessive caphits, impossible to move:

1) Carey Price
2) Brendan Gallagher

As we can see, Kent has decisions to make ahead of training camp and is determined to clean up the mess left behind by his predecessor. Likely, Molson tasked him to make majour cuts on the payroll. HuGo definetaly doesn't want to lose any youngster on waivers and is looking to make room for them.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Moving DeSmith is the obvious next move but after that I would imagine we are finished. But Hughes has shown himself to be opportunistic so we might take on a cap dump so that a team can win the expected Nylander sweepstakes.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Does "maybe change a few things" mean either trade Allen or make moves to go 3 goalies in MTL?

I can't think of anything else.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Just finished watching the presser and was curious about what other moves Hughes has up his sleeve. To be compliant he needs like 3.8M cleared, which is Allen's contract. Now he could also end up moving DeSmith and someone else, maybe Armia or Dvorak?

Thoughts?

Reactions: Redux91

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Just finished watching the presser and was curious about what other moves Hughes has up his sleeve. To be compliant he needs like 3.8M cleared, which is Allen's contract. Now he could also end up moving DeSmith and someone else, maybe Armia or Dvorak?

Thoughts?
He can get under the cap with paper transactions.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
He can get under the cap with paper transactions.
True....They have 4 excess contracts currently with all the IR folks coming back on when Camp opens and folks like Harvey-Pinard, Ylonen, and Harris with waiver eligibility. And then just waving a goalie.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
True....They have 4 excess contracts currently with all the IR folks coming back on when Camp opens and folks like Harvey-Pinard, Ylonen, and Harris with waiver eligibility. And then just waving a goalie.
Ideally, we would take another Monahan and a first-rounder from someone...

But I think we're pretty much done for the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad