More Entertaining So Far? 2017 Stanley Cup Final? Or The 2017 NBA Finals?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I dislike anything related to basketball. Maybe because as a hockey fan, it's a competition of interest. I just find it boring to watch.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Lots of hockey fans feel inferior to basketball and other sports that are more popular than hockey.

I've seen this narrative and it's hilarious. In the States, every other sport is more popular and in Canada, no sport is more popular than hockey.

I just find it boring when the finalists were virtually decided by the first preseason game. Now that the NBA have the finals they want, the first two games have been blowouts. Exciting.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've tuned into 2 of 3 SCF games played. I missed game 3 because my new work schedule screwed me over in terms of being able to sleep (transitioning, for now anyway, to a 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. shift).

I've tuned in to 0 NBA finals games and at the time of posting, honestly have no idea who's playing in them, or that they'd reached their fourth round yet, but I'd bet that it's Golden State vs. Cleveland.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
NHL and it's not even close. I played basketball for long years as a kid/teen. I liked NBA soooo much and every night, I'd ask my father who stayed up late to wake me up in the middle of the night for games. Didn't even care about who played - just watched what we had on TV. Loved the atmosphere and game itself.

Today, though... A huge pile of crap with no parity and fun. If I have to watch basketball, I go for European one. NBA can be an amazing league but it is not. As long as hard cap is in place, NHL won't ever lose its throne for me. Took interest in many different sports yet met none better than hockey so far.

And please stop with that "super final" stuff in NBA. It's not super when every game is over before the fourth period. I'd rather watch kids playing in backyard, theirs at least have some kind of parity and unpredictability.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I've watched NBA far longer and before I even got into hockey.

NHL is infinitely better at the moment, imagine Pittsburgh adding McDavid in the off-season?

That's basically what happened, lol.

Muh

Beadle
Dec 9, 2010
Sloatsburg, NY
I love Ncaa but hate the Nba. With that said, I will still watch this Nba final. Its the only matchup I "cared" about. Nba season is a joke, everyone knew who would be in the final, and as long as KD stays in GS, we all know who will be in the Final again next year.

I'll obviously say Nhl, as I am a much bigger hockey fan. But Nba has been an entertaining Final so far. Its an all-star game.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
College basketball>>>>>>>>>NBA
Most fans like one or the other and not both.

Agreed. I was born and raised in Kentucky where college basketball is religion and the school "UK" is a feeder for the NBA. I could not care about the NBA at all. I wouldn't mind going to a Memphis game sometime but I wouldn't be vested in the game like I am hockey.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Baseball yes but basketball has almost non stop action, if there's one sport thats entertaining then its basketball, more so then hockey.

Agree to disagree. There is nothing redeeming to me watching Basketball. The only time Basketball may be entertaining in any fashion is the last minute of a decision game.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Asking this question on a hockey forum where the average poster is a 5'10, white, Canadian male. I wonder what sport we will pick???

why...that's me!

Hockey anyways for me because I like the sport more and Nashville actually has a chance to win the series. People can bring up last year and the Cavs being down all they want, but it'll be an accomplishment for Lebron to win a game vs the Western all-stars. If they somehow win the series, then there's your Space Jam sequel.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
The majority of games in the NBA playoffs this year have been complete blowouts. There's just no parity in the NBA anymore.

diskdocx

May 3, 2016
how?

you still mad he left his hometown for a better job opportunity, as if nobody ever does that?

there is zero dirt on him, no reason to dislike him other than jealousy

How many other players, in any sport, have had a prime time show dedicated to 'The Decision'. :popcorn:

And given that the NBA could basically drop the regular season and just go right to the playoffs with their 2 superteams....I will take the NHL parity any day. Virtually every series in the playoffs has been competitive.

Actually, there is a strong possibility that Golden State will finish the playoffs at 16-0, sweeping every round.

Has that ever happened in a modern day major sport, where the championship team swept the playoffs (not including NFL, obviously)

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
The NBA has been watered down with teams, talent wise, for roughly the last decade, and therefore unwatchable, in my opinion. Long gone are the days where in either conference, seeds 1 through 8, were filled with talent that could go either way in the series.

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
NBA is downright depressing. You even know who is going to be in the finals next year also(hint.... they are playing right now).

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
NHL playoffs > NBA playoffs

NBA finals > Stanley Cup final.

Yes Golden State is running through the Cavs but the showmanship and entertainement value in the finals is much higher than any NHL game.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I haven't watched an NBA game since Jordan played, so.....

You missed out on Shaq, Kobe, Iverson, Duncan, Garnett, LeBron, Durant and DWade. That's basically missed out on 8 of the top 25 players in their primes. And that's not including Dirk, Melo, Yao Ming, prime Dwight Howard, Pierce, the 04 Pistons, Vince and T-Mac. Damn I'm so sorry for you.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
NHL playoffs > NBA playoffs

NBA finals > Stanley Cup final.

Yes Golden State is running through the Cavs but the showmanship and entertainement value in the finals is much higher than any NHL game.

Nowadays anyways. It seems that the hatred that would build between teams in the Stanley Cup Finals has turned into sportsmanship and love for fellow human beings. Now, the NBA is the league with heated rivalries battling for the chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlLK2VhCitw

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I dunno. While MJ won 6 titles , he did so with Pippen , Kerr , the Pinhead and Phil Jackson et all........

Lebron has only won 3 but he has played in 7 straight finals on 3 different teams (the first Cavs are not this version)

Its true that the Warriors are by FAR the better team with Durant now but they were by far the better team last year too, and Lebron took advantage of their hubris. Dont forget Love was not playing.

I have huge respect for James. Maybe he aint Jordan, but hes inching up towards him.

The Pens have the firepower and experience, but in my opinion are LUCKY to be up a game due to Rinnes pathetic goaltending. This series is closer than it appears and is very much in doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad