More Entertaining So Far? 2017 Stanley Cup Final? Or The 2017 NBA Finals?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Didn't know it was the NBA finals until this morning when they mentioned something about it on the NHL radio on SXM..

This coming from a former 20 year basketball player and former prospect of the game.

I can't watch the NBA because I can play basketball - if that makes sense. It's harder for me to get over the rigging of games, traveling, and type of league the NBA is, rather than hockey which I genuinely cannot play and admire the talent that does. I was certainly the only hockey fan on my youth basketball teams lol

For those who do not follow the game of basketball I'll point out just a couple of things:

1 (..and foremost). The NBA has been proven rigged by multiple sources close to the league, including it's own officials.

2. There must be a stoppage of play for each substitution, causing many delays in the game.

3. Speaking of delays, there are many more commercial breaks and the game also stops for fouls (penalties)... which in todays game happen frequently.

4. Professionals average 6'5" and 210lbs, to a normal person would be considered freaks of physical stature, and come close to tears over wrist slaps.

5. The game can and has been dominated by a single player. Teams can thrive in the game, but can also be beaten by a single player who is more dominant than the rest (very exciting but makes for terrible parity).

6. The atheletes who play basketball at the highest level are typically absolute clowns. The league has allowed players to put on a show and act embarassingly for so long it has become standard. (i.e. player X will remove 4 warm up shirts, 12 towels, and an extra pair of socks before substituting into the game - because it's cool). You've also got thuggish attitudes that go unchecked because players are not allowed to fight - so it's a game of trash talk.

If those things don't concern you - then the NBA might just be for you. I for one, have given up on most major sports outside of hockey.... so in response to the OP: Pre-Season hockey with prospects are more exciting than the NBA finals in my opinion.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Last year both finals were waaaaaaay better. A healthy Cavs team vs a healthy GS team that seemed pretty even, and I really liked seeing the sharks in the cup finals and Pitt for the first time since 09.

Now with Durant on GS its a fking joke and made the NBA an embarrassment this year.

This year meh pens in it again and not rlly feeling Nashville.

Weast

May 16, 2011
I actually enjoyed game one of the NBA finals, so they get my vote

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I havent watched either in quite some time. I pretty much done when my team is done. My teams are montreal and the raptors amd they were done real early. But if i was forced to pick definitely nhl

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
6. The atheletes who play basketball at the highest level are typically absolute clowns. The league has allowed players to put on a show and act embarassingly for so long it has become standard. (i.e. player X will remove 4 warm up shirts, 12 towels, and an extra pair of socks before substituting into the game - because it's cool). You've also got thuggish attitudes that go unchecked because players are not allowed to fight - so it's a game of trash talk.

I've often joked to my one friend who watches the NBA that I've seen wrestlers cutting last minute weight wear less clothes.

How the hell can they warm up with 50 lbs. of clothes on?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I got to go NHL because the NBA's superteam thing at times can be a drag.

The NHL has never had a rich getting richer feel of the NBA.

The closest equivalent we can recall in hockey to a Durant/Golden State situation was when Marian Hossa went to Detroit.

But even those Red Wings didn't seem as unbeatable that year as they had been the year prior.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Both are terrible. Haven't watched a finals game from start to finish yet. Totally predictable. Meh.

One team has completely dominated possession for both games and somehow lost both, and you say it's predictable?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I like casually watching NBA playoffs games if there's no hockey on. Even the first three rounds in the NBA playoffs had some fun games -- just not the games that featured Cleveland or Golden State, because those were blowouts.

I'm hoping for an exciting NBA finals but at this point game 1 was pretty disappointing. Game 1 of Nashville - Pittsburgh was wayyy more entertaining. Plus I just like hockey more and follow it more, so of course it means more to me and I'm biased.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
I googled "Lebron James terrible person" and a bunch of stuff came up.....top 10 reasons, top 15 reasons, etc

You may not agree with them, but it seems people have lengthier "reason to dislike him" lists than yours (way more than just jealousy! I suspect some lists may not even have jealousy on them HaHa)

all silly reasons and i'm sure plenty of other players in the finals have done the same or worse

the same people that hate lebron love kobe, a guy that was charged with rape and hated by all his teammates

jordan cheated on his wife constantly, had a gambling problem, and literally beat up smaller teammates

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
the NBA has pretty much never had parity.. its a star driven league and there have always been superteams, whether 'manufactured' or not. so i don't get how people can say they dont watch anymore because superteams have ruined the product.. kind of ridiculous

without a rooting interest the hockey product is consistently better but a great NBA game is much more exciting.. game 7 of the finals last year blows away any (non-rooting interest) hockey game i've ever watched..

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
Didn't know it was the NBA finals until this morning when they mentioned something about it on the NHL radio on SXM..

This coming from a former 20 year basketball player and former prospect of the game.

I can't watch the NBA because I can play basketball - if that makes sense. It's harder for me to get over the rigging of games, traveling, and type of league the NBA is, rather than hockey which I genuinely cannot play and admire the talent that does. I was certainly the only hockey fan on my youth basketball teams lol

For those who do not follow the game of basketball I'll point out just a couple of things:

1 (..and foremost). The NBA has been proven rigged by multiple sources close to the league, including it's own officials.

Meh and he was fired (plus there is no evidence the NBA was involved).. i'm sure the NBA owners wouldn't be okay with games being rigged against their teams either so I have no idea where this is coming from

2. There must be a stoppage of play for each substitution, causing many delays in the game.

agreed

3. Speaking of delays, there are many more commercial breaks and the game also stops for fouls (penalties)... which in todays game happen frequently.

agreed

4. Professionals average 6'5" and 210lbs, to a normal person would be considered freaks of physical stature, and come close to tears over wrist slaps.

flopping exists sure, but lets not act like it doesn't in hockey..
not to mention it's not like they're getting hit by normal people - these freaks of nature are getting hammered by other freaks of nature

5. The game can and has been dominated by a single player. Teams can thrive in the game, but can also be beaten by a single player who is more dominant than the rest (very exciting but makes for terrible parity).

You're exaggerating but what makes you think extra layers isn't for some benefit? and just lol at thuggish behaviours.. what exactly are you talking about? celebrating? having fun? having personality?

If those things don't concern you - then the NBA might just be for you. I for one, have given up on most major sports outside of hockey.... so in response to the OP: Pre-Season hockey with prospects are more exciting than the NBA finals in my opinion.

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
NBA barely started their finals. I really don't like how each game is spread out over days, makes the series seem longer than it should be. Same can be said for the SC Final.

So far SC Final has been a blowout. I think NBA Finals will be much closer.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
The SC-Playoffs were always a grind but even more so in the recent decades. I get the impression that by the time of the actual final, both teams are too banged up to bring the kind of hockey you would expect from the two best teams.

Rounds 1-3 usually provide higher-level hockey than the actual SC-Final IMO.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
NBA barely started their finals. I really don't like how each game is spread out over days, makes the series seem longer than it should be. Same can be said for the SC Final.

So far SC Final has been a blowout. I think NBA Finals will be much closer.

I'm with you on the schedule bit. It's ridiculous that this series could last 16 days.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
It depends. If the 2017 NBA Finals lives up to its enormous hype, then this series will by far trump this year's NHL Finals.

However, by the looks of game one, the Warriors may be too much for the Cavaliers especially since they added Kevin Durant. But we all know how bad the Cavs looked after going down 3-1 after 4 games only to come back

As well, the Predators NEED to win tonight's game in order to make the series interesting. The worst Finals in recent memory have been the ones involving a team (the kings) going up 3-0 in 2012 and 2014. The only way the series can become interesting then is if the trailing team forces a game 7 because the back and worth momentum shifts that makes a series so good is eliminated.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Man you guys really hate the nba. How many of you that hate the NBA like college basketball?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Lots of hockey fans feel inferior to basketball and other sports that are more popular than hockey.

not true at all

in Canada, the NBA barely registers on the sports radar (except during the Finals)...hockey is way more popular than basketball

I hate the NBA due to super teams, lack of parity and the predictability

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad