More Entertaining So Far? 2017 Stanley Cup Final? Or The 2017 NBA Finals?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Did you fail to see his script and book before the comish blackballed him? He called out DOZENS of other officials who were in on fixed games. He also stated the comish would task specific sets of officials for Kobe's lakers - changing the rules of the game to ensure he had success.

The towels and extra shirts provide benefit? I'll tell you how I know as pointed out in my first post - I played the game for over 20 years at all levels shy of the NBA. It became a fad.

I'll leave the thuggish nature for everyone else to draw their own opinion. My only expertise on the matter is sitting courtside or near courtside dozens of times since the 90s, hanging with players in bars and restaraunts outside of games, and being a tournaments where they show up. The players in the league, at least when I used to watch, are largely pieces of S- and will point out that while LeBron James is a tremendous role model off the court for a guy whose world renowned, you have guys like Dwight Howard who was on his fourth or fifth baby momma by the time he left Orlando... a guy who was painted as a fun loving role model. Ron Artest, Latrell Sprewell, Shaquile O'Neal (who was once quoted as saying, let's get this S over with at a Make-A-Wish foundation), Russell Westbrook, Kevin Garnett- all of these guys have been trash on and off the court.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Man you guys really hate the nba. How many of you that hate the NBA like college basketball?

I don't hate the NBA. This has been one of the worst seasons I've seen. Everyone predicted these two teams would be in the finals last summer. Most of the games have been blowouts. The conference finals was nearly two sweeps with hardly that many competitive games.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Lots of hockey fans feel inferior to basketball and other sports that are more popular than hockey.
Maybe...I don't know any hockey fans who pay any attention to basketball (and none of them in any way feel hockey is inferior), but the percentage of the total hockey fans that I know is not that high! HaHa

For myself I'm not sure why "the most popular" would be considered a standard to strive for (or how it connects to the OP's comment regarding entertainment).....in my choices of what I like regarding music/art/entertainment the "most popular" is rarely (never?) my choice

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I enjoy college BB. NBA not so much. Sounds weird but the players, esp the top guys, are just too good.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Man you guys really hate the nba. How many of you that hate the NBA like college basketball?
If this is a serious question...I pay absolutely zero attention to both college basketball and the NBA

When I was really young (before adulthood) I had some awareness of all sports (70s/80s) and then more and more in my adulthood I've spent less and less time paying attention to the sports world as a whole...basketball (along with other sports) lost out for me decades ago

It's not about "hating" the NBA or even basketball...I'm sure there are many NBA fans who know nothing about the NHL but I don't think they "hate" the NHL or hockey; having no interest in something and/or not giving something your time doesn't mean you hate that thing...

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
not true at all

in Canada, the NBA barely registers on the sports radar (except during the Finals)...hockey is way more popular than basketball

I hate the NBA due to super teams, lack of parity and the predictability

That's the case for many hockey fans in Canada but they're hockey fans outside of Canada as well. In the United States, lots of hockey fans feel inferior to basketball to the point where they bash what's wrong with the sport but choose to ignore the fact that basketball is still more popular than hockey in the United States.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
For myself I'm not sure why "the most popular" would be considered a standard to strive for (or how it connects to the OP's comment regarding entertainment).....in my choices of what I like regarding music/art/entertainment the "most popular" is rarely (never?) my choice

EG-ZACTLY

Beyonce and Justin Bieber and Feta-Wap or Petty...or Fetty, or whatever dominate radio and store/restaurant music comparison to a Chevelle, 30 Seconds to Mars, or Volbeat - but I can tell you who's music is a hell of a lot better to these ears.

Weezer once said 'Timbaland knows the way to the top of the charts' - wonder if their manager pushed them into making nice beats with zero lyrics?

That's the case for many hockey fans in Canada but they're hockey fans outside of Canada as well. In the United States, lots of hockey fans feel inferior to basketball to the point where they bash what's wrong with the sport but choose to ignore the fact that basketball is still more popular than hockey in the United States.

NASCAR is the most watched live sporting event in the United States.

I feel people who want the NHL to be as popular as the NBA just want something to complain about. Honestly, enjoy the league as it is today - without MASSIVE influence from corporate sponsorship, international partners, broadcast bias, and droves of ignorant fans- most people who watch hockey do it because they like hockey, not because they feel obligated to. The cap is in an almost perfect spot as well - where you're top guys make between 7-10M, average is 3-4, and entry is 1M...makes things less complicated lol

The day the NHL tries to become the NBA would be a SAD sad day.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Warriors are heavy favorite to win and they won the only NBA finals game played so far in a blowout.

Hockey is more entertaining because of its fast paced more unpredictable outcomes.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
not true at all

in Canada, the NBA barely registers on the sports radar (except during the Finals)...hockey is way more popular than basketball

In the GTA people love basketball more than hockey. people watch the LEAFS and thats it

non-whites almost exclusively watch basketball. younger demographics like basketball over hockey, baseball

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think game 1 of the NBA finals was a bit dissappointing as the Cavaliers pretty much played matador defense, but games 1 and 2 of SCF were awful as Rinne pretty much played matador defense. Game 3 of the SCF has been pretty good but it's looking like a blowout which ain't much better than game 1 of the NBAF.

The most entertaining game though was game 1 of the NBA finals... the skill and BBIQ on display was off the charts.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
NHL. The disappointing part about the NBA is you could show me any game from the last 3 finals and I wouldn't even be able to tell you what year it was from. No fun watching the same teams compete over and over again

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
NHL. The disappointing part about the NBA is you could show me any game from the last 3 finals and I wouldn't even be able to tell you what year it was from. No fun watching the same teams compete over and over again

I mean 3 teams have won 7 of the last 8 cups.

Vs 2 teams having won the last 3 NBA championships.

Is the parity that different? We have a random team making the finals to lose to LA, Chi, or Pitts. And it'll be 8 of last 9 cups after this year.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
I mean 3 teams have won 7 of the last 8 cups. Vs 2 teams having won the last 3 NBA championships.

While that's true, it hasn't had the same two teams in the final consecutively since 2009. In fact the penguins are the only team of the cap era to have reached the final two years in a row

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
While that's true, it hasn't had the same two teams in the final consecutively since 2009. In fact the penguins are the only team of the cap era to have reached the final two years in a row

Except Detroit did it first in the cap era in 2009 :laugh:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Asking this question on a hockey forum where the average poster is a 5'10, white, Canadian male. I wonder what sport we will pick???

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
While its nice to watch what is essentially the best team in NBA history walk all over Lebron's Cavs, It's kind of boring when you know the end result.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
not true at all

Basketball is huge in Southern Ontario with the resurgence of the Raptors the last few years drawing interest on top of it being a cheap sport to play for kids.

Leafs are #1, but Basketball is more popular than hockey as a whole outside of that in the GTA these days.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I'm amazed at the amount of references that the NBA gets on this this hockey website (in particular in regarding "marketing" and "player personality")

Basketball, along with Baseball, are just horrible spectator sports. To me it ranks on the same level as competitive gaming. Yes, it's fun to play yourself but for non-Americans (or those who didn't grow up with it) it's simply a snooze fest.

That being said, I sometimes wonder if other message boards that pertain basketball or baseball reference hockey as much as people on here reference other sports.

I'll never understand how you can be a fan of a fast paced and physically demanding sport like hockey, and then still be entertained by baseball or basketball.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
This is a hockey website. We are clearly going to say hockey. I doubt many of us even watch the NBA finals. Not a fan of the game of basketball. Just doesn't appeal to me. I do, however, like playing basketball. :laugh: And I do like Curry! Guy has been exciting ever since he was in Davidson.

Golden State is my NBA team if I had to pick one. I liked when they had Baron Davis. But I watch maybe 1 NBA game a year. Just doesn't appeal to me.

This is actually exactly how I feel.

Honestly I think every other sport sucks. I literally get no enjoyment out of any of them.

I'd rather watch curling than basketball or baseball. And yes this includes football, which is least favorite sport of all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad