More Entertaining So Far? 2017 Stanley Cup Final? Or The 2017 NBA Finals?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The NHL should be ashamed by the product they have put out these playoffs.

Even with the first 2 being blowouts, the NBA finals has been much better.

Per usual, the first two rounds of the NHL playoffs are better than the NBA with the conference and championship being better in the NBA.

Of course, this isn't a given. The conference finals in the NHL were better than the NBA this year while the NBA Playoffs in general were better than the NHL as a whole two years ago.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
That video taught me nothing I didn't already know.

Well then you should know the difference between the NHL having super teams and the NBA having super teams. If the NHL were to form a team like the warriors it would still lose some games and be tested and wouldn't be blowing out teams every game. So in a sense yes there is a double standard and it is different because the NBA as it stands now isn't entertaining at all.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Well then you should know the difference between the NHL having super teams and the NBA having super teams. If the NHL were to form a team like the warriors it would still lose some games and be tested and wouldn't be blowing out teams every game. So in a sense yes there is a double standard and it is different because the NBA as it stands now isn't entertaining at all.

But the Oilers winning 5 championships in 7 years was?

The reality is, it is no longer possible to form super teams in the NHL like in years past. If it was, you'd still see teams winning 4-5 Stanley Cups in the span of 10 years. Your video doesn't disprove that at all and how can it? Super teams were a thing in the past in the NHL. Warriors have 1 titles in the past 5 years and may win their second. That's a far cry from the 4 in a row the Islanders won.

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Warriors heavy favorite to win the series game 1 and 2 being blowouts and now Warriors are up 3-0. Not a good NBA finals don't like knowing who will win and seeing it unfold like this. Boring!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Have to admit though if you like to watch beautiful basketball ... the Warriors are a joy to watch. So damn good and so unselfish. Just wonderful ball movement/passing to go with incredible shooting.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Warriors heavy favorite to win the series game 1 and 2 being blowouts and now Warriors are up 3-0. Not a good NBA finals don't like knowing who will win and seeing it unfold like this. Boring!

They're getting the best ratings since 1998, though. Basketball fans want predictable winners. It's a bandwagon sport.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Lets ask on a hockey forum in a section all about the Stanley Cup what hockey fans think is more fun to watch.... Stanley Cup hockey or NBA Finals....

I couldn't type more dots.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
They're getting the best ratings since 1998, though. Basketball fans want predictable winners. It's a bandwagon sport.

People just like seeing the best player lose. People love tuning in to see lebron lose... just like flyer fans are watching the series in earnest hoping crosby loses.

If GS was playing any other team, ratings would be poor.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
On one hand, Golden State might be putting the best team in the history of the NBA on the court right now. They're an absolute machine. Obviously the Cavs are not slouches either - we're definitely watching the two best teams in the league and seeing play at the highest level possible in the sport.

On the other hand, the same teams in the finals 3 years in a row is automatically a little boring, especially when one of them is obviously going to win.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
On one hand, Golden State might be putting the best team in the history of the NBA on the court right now. They're an absolute machine. Obviously the Cavs are not slouches either - we're definitely watching the two best teams in the league and seeing play at the highest level possible in the sport.

On the other hand, the same teams in the finals 3 years in a row is automatically a little boring, especially when one of them is obviously going to win.

Cavs are the best team out of the east.

I would probably have the Rockets and Spurs ahead of them. Spurs were pretty much doing to the Warriors what they are doing to the Cavs in the first game before Leonard went down.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Cavs are the best team out of the east.

I would probably have the Rockets and Spurs ahead of them. Spurs were pretty much doing to the Warriors what they are doing to the Cavs in the first game before Leonard went down.

In a single game over like 2 quarters. Golden State is the best come back team in the league. San Antonio would have still lost to GS even with Leonard.

Lol@ putting Houston ahead of them.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I was hyped for the NBA Finals but it's been a letdown. Aside from Game 3, they've been big wins by one team and the series is 3-0.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
In a single game over like 2 quarters. Golden State is the best come back team in the league. San Antonio would have still lost to GS even with Leonard.

Lol@ putting Houston ahead of them.

Spurs won the season series. The Warriors barely came back on the Spurs without Leonard. A 25 point comeback in a half against a team that has an MVP/DPOY candidate in the conference finals would be considered one of the greatest NBA playoffs comebacks ever. To say it was a foregone conclusion is.... something else.

Houston split the season series with the Cavs. Had a better overall record. No reason to think they aren't at least on the same level as the Cavs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Spurs won the season series. The Warriors barely came back on the Spurs without Leonard. A 25 point comeback in a half against a team that has an MVP/DPOY candidate in the conference finals would be considered one of the greatest NBA playoffs comebacks ever. To say it was a foregone conclusion is.... something else.

Houston split the season series with the Cavs. Had a better overall record. No reason to think they aren't at least on the same level as the Cavs.

Regular season does not matter. Toronto Raptors had the same record as the Cavs and they got swept by them. Cavs were just coasting in the regular season.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
NBA. NHL playoffs have been boring.

I dislike the Warriors, and I don't even really like basketball at all, but watching Golden State run an offense is a thing of beauty.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

You mean NHL ratings?

Game 3 of the 2017 NBA Finals – the Golden State Warriors defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers in an instant classic – delivered a 13.4 metered market rating on ABC, according to Nielsen. This was up 14 percent from an 11.8 in 2016. Last night’s broadcast peaked on ABC with a 15.6 rating from 11:30-11:45 p.m. ET. Through three games, the 2017 NBA Finals on ABC is averaging a 12.8 metered market rating, up four percent from a 12.3 in 2016. In addition, the NBA Finals on ABC continue to produce record streaming numbers, including several for Game 3. On Wednesday, nearly 2,000,000 unique viewers (1,964,000) streamed the game with an average minute audience of 440,700 viewers. There were also 76,680,000 total minutes streamed – all records for an NBA Finals Game 3. The NBA Finals on ABC is expected to win the night across all of television for the 58th consecutive time. The broadcast drew a 35.3 in the Cleveland market and a 32.7 in the San Francisco-Oakland market. The rest of the top 10 local markets include: Columbus (20.6); Memphis (19.4); Atlanta (18.6); Miami (17.8); Sacramento (17.1); Richmond (16.3); Charlotte (15.1); Birmingham (14.8).

What's interesting here is Memphis at #2. Would also be interesting to see the numbers for Nashville and Knoxville if it were Memphis in the NBA Finals.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
People just like seeing the best player lose. People love tuning in to see lebron lose... just like flyer fans are watching the series in earnest hoping crosby loses.

Speak for yourself, only.
As a Flyers fan, I'm watching the series not in hopes of The Penguins (not just Crosby - it is a team game) losing, but because it's the freaking Stanley Cup Finals. Crosby winning anything or everything is irrelevant to me, the guy is an absolute stud. The PENGUINS, however, I do hope they lose in a horrible fashion.
Good logic backed by solid evidence. :handclap:

Last edited:

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
The NBA is a much better run league and puts a far superior product out there for its fans.

NHL is not even close. Lets start with enforcing the rules...

AnAceOfKidneys

May 2, 2014

yep, pretty much this.

Although I think James is an amazing player, I find him so arrogant that I watch just to see him lose. Unfortunately, Steph Currie is almost as arrogant as Lebron.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The NBA is a much better run league and puts a far superior product out there for its fans.

NHL is not even close. Lets start with enforcing the rules...

You mean like the NBA that doesn't even enforce traveling? :laugh: Where refs have openly stated they will not make a call if the game is on the line?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00