More Entertaining So Far? 2017 Stanley Cup Final? Or The 2017 NBA Finals?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
You mean like the NBA that doesn't even enforce traveling? :laugh: Where refs have openly stated they will not make a call if the game is on the line?

The commentators for the game just laughed before commercial break and said, i guess that's not travelling then? You gotta love it!

Kyrie Irving took about 5 steps.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The commentators for the game just laughed before commercial break and said, i guess that's not travelling then? You gotta love it!

Kyrie Irving took about 5 steps.

Traveling has been a joke in the NBA for near 30 years now, but to claim they're better run and then turn around and say the NHL needs to catch up by enforcing the rules just makes me laugh. If anything, the NHL needs to let more go if they want to mirror the NBA.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
NHL games are better, but I find in the NHL we have a hard time finding interesting storylines in the Finals in recent years.

"Should the Pens start Fleury?"
"Where is Fillip Forsberg?"
"Boy has Rinne and Guentzel been good!"
"Whos' this Gaudreau guy?"

These are the headlines in our championship series and they are terribly uninteresting. However, the games have been pretty good.

The NBA is a natural headlines producer.

"Jordan vs LeBron"
"Is Golden State the best team ever?"
"What's wrong with LeBron James?"
"Is Durant a coward for doing what he did?"
"Who will Cleveland pick up in the offseason?"
"Does this Finals hurt LeBron's legacy?"
"Has Durant passed LeBron as the best player right now?"

The NBA has a terrible on court product right now(outside of Game 3 which was pretty compelling to be honest), but the headlines always come and are always interesting.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The NHL has an awful marketing department for sure and NBC keeping most of these games and potential stories off the national network doesn't help either.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
The warriors are to the NBA what the 80's Oilers and 90's penguins were to the NHL. They playing the game it was meant to be played. If the other team score 110, we will score 120 which was the same as the oilers and pens back in the day in which the other team score5, we score 6. The 2 best teams Pens of all the time the 93 and 96 were the closet to today warriors, but didnt even make it to the final cause they defeated by teams taken advantage of the refs decision to put the whistle away. Something you would never see in the NBA, why that league is more popular.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The warriors are to the NBA what the 80's Oilers and 90's penguins were to the NHL. They playing the game it was meant to be played. If the other team score 110, we will score 120 which was the same as the oilers and pens back in the day in which the other team score5, we score 6. The 2 best teams Pens of all the time the 93 and 96 were the closet to today warriors, but didnt even make it to the final cause they defeated by teams taken advantage of the refs decision to put the whistle away. Something you would never see in the NBA, why that league is more popular.
You think the NBA is more popular because of officiating? Seriously?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The league is more popular because the majority of the population can take a ball to a park and play the game whereas hockey is a giant pain in the ass if you live in a warm climate.

NHL is also about teams while the NBA is about players/personalities. Perfect sport for the twitter age. It's not Golden State v. Cleveland, it's Durant/Curry v. Lebron/Kyrie. NHL tries to push that with Crosby/Ovie but the sport just doesn't naturally lend itself to one-on-one rivalries easily. You had RyJo/Kessler last round but the average person isn't going to know how to look for the two of them on the ice together and what's going on as opposed to easily being able to see Curry abuse LeBron in Game 2 or Durant take that 3 in his face last night.

You get NHL guys mic'd up at All-Star Saturday and it is boring ass Pat Kane or boring ass Toews or some other boring guy with zero personality.
Of course, this is still a sport where players get crucified if they show flair and personality but that's another discussion. Still, when the league tries to give you the personalities, they don't seem to know what to do. Like, don't hire Five for Fighting to play the Winter Classic if you want to be considered cool.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
One thing I do love about the NBA Finals is that it starts on time! The games are listed at 9 PM, and they start just shortly after 9. NHL, starts 20 minutes + after the listed time. Absolute ********.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Both leagues have a team that cant be beat...so entertainment value just comes down to what sport you prefer.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The home games of the underdogs in the NBA and NHL finals (preds/cavs) have been entertaining.

The home games of the favourites (pens/warriors) have been not so entertaining.

That's my opinion.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The league is more popular because the majority of the population can take a ball to a park and play the game whereas hockey is a giant pain in the ass if you live in a warm climate.

NHL is also about teams while the NBA is about players/personalities. Perfect sport for the twitter age. It's not Golden State v. Cleveland, it's Durant/Curry v. Lebron/Kyrie. NHL tries to push that with Crosby/Ovie but the sport just doesn't naturally lend itself to one-on-one rivalries easily. You had RyJo/Kessler last round but the average person isn't going to know how to look for the two of them on the ice together and what's going on as opposed to easily being able to see Curry abuse LeBron in Game 2 or Durant take that 3 in his face last night.

You get NHL guys mic'd up at All-Star Saturday and it is boring ass Pat Kane or boring ass Toews or some other boring guy with zero personality.
Of course, this is still a sport where players get crucified if they show flair and personality but that's another discussion. Still, when the league tries to give you the personalities, they don't seem to know what to do. Like, don't hire Five for Fighting to play the Winter Classic if you want to be considered cool.

Sums it up well.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This is a wild series. Has there ever been this big of a discrepancy between home wins?

Anaheim was shutout in 3 of 4 games at New Jersey.

The Devils lost twice in OT at Anaheim, Brodeur had that bizarre goal where he lost his stick, and of course Kariya off the floor on the board.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

I think this is underrating how good this Warriors team is. Now i am not knocking the Oilers or Pens or that era but they had their weaknesses, they were mostly offense with above average defense. This Warriors team with Durant is nearly perfect in every facet of the game. They are the best defensive team as well as offense. It would be like having an Oilers team combined with the perfect defensive system of the New Jersey Devils in 1995 with prime Brodeur throw in to play with either of those clubs.

They are about to get 16-0 and be undefeated in the playoffs, something has not been done in professional sports i believe? They just beat the penguins for all time playoff wins in one year at 15. This team is basically perfect and i don't think we will see a team like this ever in our lifetime. Superteams will exist, but these guys are mostly homegrown drafted players or shrewd trades and development of guys that were throwaways on other teams. Think about last game, Clay Thompson had 30 points yet Durant and Curry were the ones everyone was talking about.

I really think nobody will witness this kind of streak or dominance in the past 3 seasons.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I think this is underrating how good this Warriors team is. Now i am not knocking the Oilers or Pens or that era but they had their weaknesses, they were mostly offense with above average defense. This Warriors team with Durant is nearly perfect in every facet of the game. They are the best defensive team as well as offense. It would be like having an Oilers team combined with the perfect defensive system of the New Jersey Devils in 1995 with prime Brodeur throw in to play with either of those clubs.

They are about to get 16-0 and be undefeated in the playoffs, something has not been done in professional sports i believe? They just beat the penguins for all time playoff wins in one year at 15. This team is basically perfect and i don't think we will see a team like this ever in our lifetime. Superteams will exist, but these guys are mostly homegrown drafted players or shrewd trades and development of guys that were throwaways on other teams. Think about last game, Clay Thompson had 30 points yet Durant and Curry were the ones everyone was talking about.

I really think nobody will witness this kind of streak or dominance in the past 3 seasons.

You are right about this Warriors team. People tried to think of a weakness, like how not having Bogut might hurt them with a lack of size, but this year was wrapped up the minute Durant signed with Golden State. I said before the series people were over-hyping 'the trilogy,' the Warriors added the 2nd best player in the league to a team that had just won 73 games and should've won their 2nd straight title had Curry not forgotten how to shoot/ the Green suspension. Cleveland gave everything they had last year just to barely beat them in 7, there's no way they had a chance this year.
Last year GS had 2 teams that gave them trouble- OKC, but they stole their best player, and Cleveland, who can't keep up with them anymore.
I hate that move by Durant. He's played great and will get his ring so he's happy, but he made the NBA a 1 team league this year when the team he was on was good enough to be true contenders in the first place. Joining the team that you choked against the year before was soft, too. Hopefully the other top teams can add some big pieces to make next year better.

As a whole the NHL playoffs have been far better, and at least in their finals the outcome of the series was and still is in doubt. Unfortunately, the games themselves have been pretty lopsided.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
NBA Finals is entertaining in the way that you are watching a historically great team playing at a peak level. That's how I see Golden State.

It's like the 80s Oilers ... yes they totally dismantled the Bruins in '88 ... but they're a joy to watch because they're so damn good they play the game at a level of a great performance.

You know what you're watching is exceptionally rare and may not be seen again for a long, long time.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
I just can't think of a reason to watch 2 boring teams. Cavs vs warriors has been exciting every game.
I tried to watch the other night. Turned the game on at 8, then I saw 15 consecutive minutes of commercials. I said **** it and watched House of Cards instead.
There is not one compelling thing about the Stanley Cup finals. The NHL still doesn't know how to market or advertise. I don't even know when the next game Is? Haven't seen one commercial. The NHL needs to find a way to make the playoffs watchable again.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Btw, reffing for game 4 of the NBA finals sucked bad. So I'll reitterate from another thread, bad officiating isn't just an NHL thing. It's a human thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad