Moose Season Discussion

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Having his body mature over the next few years will help as well. I don’t think his skating will be an issue. The kid looks determined to make an impact and has in his D+1 year in the AHL. Plenty of NHL caliber players on the Marlies, and he not only didn’t look out of place, he performed pretty well by comparison.

Yeah I'm not worried about his skating at all, he's already improved it a lot and given his posture and stride I'd say there are still significant gains to be had if he puts in the work.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Seems like he's having fun, great to see. Found it strange that he was taller than somebody, but I now realize that it's Skyler Mackenzie. Either way though there's more of a size difference there than the 1 inch they're listed at. Not sure if Mackenzie is listed as taller than he actually is at 5'9" or if Perfetti's grown taller than 5'10".

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know it’s just a practice but Cole has the silky mitts
I find it really hard to project his NHL impact, and how soon he'll make the leap. He has such great IQ and puck skills, but still has limitations in size and skating.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I find it really hard to project his NHL impact, and how soon he'll make the leap. He has such great IQ and puck skills, but still has limitations in size and skating.

I think it’s more about his physical development at this point. He needs to get to the next level skating wise. I know he is very aware and he is focused on it, sometimes these things just take time.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well the kid is only in his D plus 1 season, plenty of time to work on his skating and strength.

His strength isn't that big if an issue for me, he's a pretty strong kid for his age and is hard to knock off the pick already which is a good sign of what we likely can expect as he continues to work at it.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think it’s more about his physical development at this point. He needs to get to the next level skating wise. I know he is very aware and he is focused on it, sometimes these things just take time.

Well the kid is only in his D plus 1 season, plenty of time to work on his skating and strength.

His strength isn't that big if an issue for me, he's a pretty strong kid for his age and is hard to knock off the pick already which is a good sign of what we likely can expect as he continues to work at it.

Perfetti looks like he's developing faster than what most here were predicting at the draft. Playing in the A all year helped for sure. Future looks bright.

All good points. He's a very smart, mature and driven kid. I have zero concerns that he's going to Daigle his way into the league and hope to stick on draft position alone. I expect that he'l be working with skill, strength and skating coaches as soon as the season ends, and given the strides (literally) that he's made this season, I'm really excited to see where he goes.

These same concerns -- size, strength, skating -- were raised about Heinola post-draft, and he responded by dominating Liga and the AHL and looking like an impact player already. I think the level of IQ that both he and Perfetti possess are a version of the Nik Ehlers speed/skating superpower. Took Ehlers a few years to reach his full potential as a PPG game-changer, but he has been a very important player for the Jets since well before that, and is now arguably our best player, along with Helle (and this season's version of Lowry), despite being too small, too fancy, too weak to protect the puck or defend or shoot well, etc.

Perfetti has a skill set that reminds me of a young Doug Gilmour, young Stats -- very cerebral players with excellent positioning, anticipation and puck skills who were able to see plays developing and stay several steps ahead of it, despite lacking speed and/or size. It may take a year or three for his body to catch up with his brain, but if he can stay on or near his present trajectory he's got the potential to be a key player for this team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems like he's having fun, great to see. Found it strange that he was taller than somebody, but I now realize that it's Skyler Mackenzie. Either way though there's more of a size difference there than the 1 inch they're listed at. Not sure if Mackenzie is listed as taller than he actually is at 5'9" or if Perfetti's grown taller than 5'10".

:laugh: HDB lists him at 5'11, EP at 5'10. Take your pick.

HDB has Skyler at 5'8, EP says he is 5'9.

So the difference is between 1 and 3 inches. :laugh:

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
All good points. He's a very smart, mature and driven kid. I have zero concerns that he's going to Daigle his way into the league and hope to stick on draft position alone. I expect that he'l be working with skill, strength and skating coaches as soon as the season ends, and given the strides (literally) that he's made this season, I'm really excited to see where he goes.

These same concerns -- size, strength, skating -- were raised about Heinola post-draft, and he responded by dominating Liga and the AHL and looking like an impact player already. I think the level of IQ that both he and Perfetti possess are a version of the Nik Ehlers speed/skating superpower. Took Ehlers a few years to reach his full potential as a PPG game-changer, but he has been a very important player for the Jets since well before that, and is now arguably our best player, along with Helle (and this season's version of Lowry), despite being too small, too fancy, too weak to protect the puck or defend or shoot well, etc.

Perfetti has a skill set that reminds me of a young Doug Gilmour, young Stats -- very cerebral players with excellent positioning, anticipation and puck skills who were able to see plays developing and stay several steps ahead of it, despite lacking speed and/or size. It may take a year or three for his body to catch up with his brain, but if he can stay on or near his present trajectory he's got the potential to be a key player for this team.
Really nice comparisons.

Also, I really don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but the way he addresses the media is better than some 10 year NHL vets. I truly think the sky is the limit as both a player and leader of the Jets. Timelines work out well too assuming Scheif gets the C in a couple years from Wheeler and holds the captaincy until his mid-30s.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really nice comparisons.

Also, I really don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but the way he addresses the media is better than some 10 year NHL vets. I truly think the sky is the limit as both a player and leader of the Jets. Timelines work out well too assuming Scheif gets the C in a couple years from Wheeler and holds the captaincy until his mid-30s.

Yeah he comes from the Morrissey school of interviews.

Reactions: Luc Labelle and SM

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My goodness, Perfetti with an outstanding goal. Speed in transition, finds space across the offensive zone, and snipes top corner through the D.

Samberg and Kovacevic with nice assists on the Moose's 2nd goal, too.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

What a snipe.

Nice acceleration through the cut. Also interesting how he's already getting opposing teams (and goalies) to bite on the freeze or risk being burned by his puck movement or pass options. That's not your average rookie treatment, however ropey your AHL D.

Cole's shot was pretty close to pro-ready last year but he seems to have added some new fire to it to go with the deception.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What a snipe.

Nice acceleration through the cut. Also interesting how he's already getting opposing teams (and goalies) to bite on the freeze or risk being burned by his puck movement or pass options. That's not your average rookie treatment, however ropey your AHL D.

Cole's shot was pretty close to pro-ready last year but he seems to have added some new fire to it to go with the deception.
That goal came after some strong D zone defense by Perfetti, and nice to see his speed through the neutral zone. In OT he also showed some really good speed and stamina on a backcheck. He's looking a lot stronger and more fit than he did even a few months ago. Can't really see him going back to the OHL. He would probably tear it up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That goal came after some strong D zone defense by Perfetti, and nice to see his speed through the neutral zone. In OT he also showed some really good speed and stamina on a backcheck. He's looking a lot stronger and more fit than he did even a few months ago. Can't really see him going back to the OHL. He would probably tear it up.

He really plays a far more complete game then I was expecting given his age and pedigree as an offensive star.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad