Post-Game Talk: Montreal @ Washington | 2/20/20 | 7p ET | NBCSN/NBCW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Seems that double shifting OV is our sole in-game adjustment strategy...ever.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Backstrom/Carlson are also baby soft in front of their net. That's the big issue. If you're slumping offensively you've got to at least have defensive urgency. It's just dumb, soft hockey. Eller, Hagelin, Oshie, Hathaway and Dowd are the only forwards leading the way. Hard to win or have any sort of coherent identity when you're a top-heavy forward team whose forwards aren't really fundamentally sound. It's really 19/74 that stand out as shockingly bad lately. They're not alone...they're just too important to play like they have been.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I actually think the forward core is a bigger problem right now. They can’t sustain pressure in the O zone, continually turnover the puck, are late to back check. Its no wonder our defenseman struggle to get the puck out.
Two of the early breakaways were because of bad plays by the forwards that led to turnovers but most here will blame the coaches or defensemen. On one hand I think they should put the lines in a blender but the third line is the only line that can produce even strength offense so I’m not sure they should be broken up.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Stop blaming the coaches here. They’re not perfect but most of this is due to execution, or lack thereof. They’re losing most board battles, they can’t connect a pass, they’re out of position constantly, the forechecking level has been subpar... coaching and systems only do so much, the players have to do their jobs too and they’re failing.

Yes it's the players who are not executing but that's the coaches job to achieve. This lackadaisical play has been going on far too long and that points to a coaching problem not holding the team accountable.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Stop blaming the coaches here. They’re not perfect but most of this is due to execution, or lack thereof. They’re losing most board battles, they can’t connect a pass, they’re out of position constantly, the forechecking level has been subpar... coaching and systems only do so much, the players have to do their jobs too and they’re failing.
Execution is bad right now, but the coaches aren't helping. The breakout and transition strategies are stagnant, and it's up to the coaches to make changes to fix it, which they haven't done.

Throw in the awful PP and Rierden and co deserve some blame. Not all, but some.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I think it is a bit of both. They don’t seem to have much of a system and have played so wide open like this for much of the year even when they were getting good results. Guys like Kuznetsov and Vrana are playing so soft right now. Carlson is a mess in his own zone and Wilson looks like himself from 5 years ago. So players are clearly to blame. But, if the coach can’t motivate them to battle harder, play tighter defense or forecheck hard, that is also on him, as unfair as that may be.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
So the players just decided to not care? It has all the hallmarks of a team that is rapidly losing confidence and getting none from the coaching. A team that is not regaining any sharpness in practice. A team that hasn’t been redirected well enough to do the small things and let the fancy stuff build. A team that doesn’t know what to do with the puck in their own end About the only thing that has REMOTELY improved in the past several weeks is a few less penalties.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Let’s be honest with ourselves tho - we cant fire Reirdon (although I think he stinks) during his first major slump.

Front office has to give him 15-20 games to see if he can turn a team around, right before? During his first real bad drought on his first head coaching gig - you can’t just fire him, can you?

Even tho I think he stinks - If you’re a coach and get your first chance as a head coach and have a bad month and get canned bc of it without trying to turn it around - that looks bad, right?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's very much invited, though, when the GM also calls out their play, suggesting they cheat offensively and that he doesn't like how they're playing. It's on the staff to reign that in. It's on the core, of course, but there are also decisions the staff could make to hold players accountable that they're seemingly avoiding. The oldest team in the league shouldn't need it but it would be beneficial to at least play the players that are going more rather than just act like this is all rather normal and acceptable.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Let’s be honest with ourselves tho - we cant fire Reirdon (although I think he stinks) during his first major slump.

Front office has to give him 15-20 games to see if he can turn a team around, right before? During his first real bad drought on his first head coaching gig - you can’t just fire him, can you?

Even tho I think he stinks - If you’re a coach and get your first chance as a head coach and have a bad month and get canned bc of it without trying to turn it around - that looks bad, right?
But imagine if we don’t make the playoffs. It would be a disaster. And there are only 22 games left.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
When a coach doesn't implement some kind of team discipline, then players develop bad habits in practice If you have bad habits in practice, then the bad execution in games will be normal. I don't think the players trust the system and try to do too much individual play.

Reactions: Pomee

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

They were poor around this time of year last season too. Blew a 2-0 series lead in the playoffs last year and a 2-0 lead in game 7. I don’t think the results bother Bmac as much as the way the team is playing. Under Reirden, they have been noticeably easier to play against the past 2 years and that’s probably the biggest thing bothering BMac. Results aside, they aren’t playing the right way and they haven’t been most of the year.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
tumblr_mxm6ryth8u1rznt2to1_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad