Confirmed with Link: Montreal sends Hoffman & Pitlick to Pittsburgh for Petry (25% retained by Pens), DeSmith, Legare & Pens 2025 2nd

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
the talk was that the Pens were trying to move Petry before the trade but couldn't get his cap hit down low enough with a contending team that has cap space. So a 3rd team had to be brought in, so the thought is they kept the talks with these teams going once the trade was done, just instead of the Pens trying to trade him at a much higher cap hit then we could.
Oh but then he discussed a 4 teams trade involving another team instead of 3 teams trade. That would makes sense but like Pens knew this was being discussed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Oh but then he discussed a 4 teams trade involving another team instead of 3 teams trade. That would makes sense but like Pens knew this was being discussed.
I didn't read anything about a 4 teams trade, my point was say Pens are talking with Dallas but Petry is at 6.25M so the teams can't make the money work since both badly need cap space.

So what do they do? bring in a 3rd team. Now the talks betwen the Pens-Stars turns into talks between Habs and Stars. I think that's what they meant that Petry trade was being discussed before we got him, meaning the Pens were trying to trade him but figured it was impossible since so many teams have zero cap space so another team had to be brought in.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
There are what I call administrative assets:
- draft choices;
- cap space;
- contract space (50 limit);
- future considerations.

In that 3 teams trade, the Habs redistributed cap space and took a .9M hit, gave up one contract and got a 2nd round draft choice. To me, the players involved did not matter as much as the administrative assets. Of course, if it proves easier to get more administrative assets with the new players so much the better.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wonder who would fetch more in a trade Montembeault, Allen or Desmith

Montembault would attract more, but we are splitting hairs.

Both desmith and Monty are 1 year away from free agency so its unlikely that teams will give up much with that cloud of uncertainty looming.

Allen is on a different boat. He's more expensive, and he's been battling injuries. I think he's tradeable but with so many teams at the cap, it might take some cap gymnastics that may not make it worth for Montreal to go through the trouble.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
My only question is why, with hundreds of other potential players that could be acquired, so many remain fixated on securing home town heroes. Now its Lafreniere, before it was Dublois. That’s what the Rangers, and all other teams ‘know’ : that in response to this predictable pressure from fans and the media, the team may be willing to overpay. Put simply, we are in an uneven bargaining position.
Yeah but look at what Tavares has done for the Leafs. :sarcasm:

• Wow
Reactions: cphabs and Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No word from Hughes means Petry is close to be out of here.
Really? To me it means about as much as the sound of silence we had before we traded for him. Willing but not getting what he wants is my bet. At least not yet. Hughes already has a great idea of what he values him at being someone he traded before last season. He had to have more offers than just Matheson. I have no doubt he holds on until the last possible moment before he pulls the trigger. What I don't know is if it before the puck drops on this season or at TDL. A strong case can be made for either scenario which is all good.

Reactions: Runner77

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
There are what I call administrative assets:
- draft choices;
- cap space;
- contract space (50 limit);
- future considerations.

In that 3 teams trade, the Habs redistributed cap space and took a .9M hit, gave up one contract and got a 2nd round draft choice. To me, the players involved did not matter as much as the administrative assets. Of course, if it proves easier to get more administrative assets with the new players so much the better.
You forgot to mention the addition 4.6m in cap hit Hughes took on for the following season.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Petry did call out the Mumbler which many thought could have been handled internally but for me, I don’t like how he withers when a teammate gets wiped out by a dubious or blatant cheap hit and he’s just there, looking away, pretending it didn’t happen.

He does have a broski thing going with Caufield but I can’t imagine too many teammates would be enthused at his on-ice attitude.

That said, I read somewhere that Hughes had already been making calls to teams prior to acquiring Petry, when he knew the deal with the Pens would go down so it just further confirms that he was acquired to be flipped. If a trade is not feasible for whatever reason at this time, interest is sure to be there at the deadline.
Your right, he is that way, turning a blind eye when a teammate needs someone to step in.

Don't know. I think he is going to have to be aware and work on being a good teammate as I can see him being a problem.

Reactions: Runner77

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Your right, he is that way, turning a blind eye when a teammate needs someone to step in.

Don't know. I think he is going to have to be aware and work on being a good teammate as I can see him being a problem.
That hit was HuGo's fault. If you have no enforcers goons like Kassian have no fear. If Petry's hand is not 100% what would be the point of going after Kassian and getting beaten up. That doesn't excuse the other Habs on the ice.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
That hit was HuGo's fault. If you have no enforcers goons like Kassian have no fear. If Petry's hand is not 100% what would be the point of going after Kassian and getting beaten up. That doesn't excuse the other Habs on the ice.
A guy doesn't have to go in for a full on fight. Dudes 6 foot 3 and over 200 pounds, you don't just ignore the play.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Wonder who would fetch more in a trade Montembeault, Allen or Desmith
I would think DeSmith.

Allen has caught the injury bug and can't play more than 30ish games without falling off.
Monty is still unproven (aka will he repeat last season effort or not).

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
no one will remember this, but I called us being the 3rd team in on a karlsson deal months before it happened :). Facilitating a deal with our cap space made too much sense.
source.gif

:thumbu::thumbu:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would think DeSmith.

Allen has caught the injury bug and can't play more than 30ish games without falling off.
Monty is still unproven (aka will he repeat last season effort or not).
Sorry but if you think DeSmith is more proven I could not disagree more. Monty should have earned a bit more respect by now. What exactly has DeSmith accomplished?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
A guy doesn't have to go in for a full on fight. Dudes 6 foot 3 and over 200 pounds, you don't just ignore the play.
If Kassian is challenged do you think he is going to back off? Not a chance. He would pummel Petry or whoever goes after him since there was no enforcer on the team.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Sorry but if you think DeSmith is more proven I could not disagree more. Monty should have earned a bit more respect by now. What exactly has DeSmith accomplished?
True, DeSmith has 30ish more games and better numbers by virtue of being on a better team. Both went to the WC and played great for their team this year. The real difference is age, Montembeault is young enough that you might get a few good years of him as a starter, whereas DeSmith at 32 (Yesterday) is probably already on the downswing. So if a team is looking for a goalie there's no doubt they'd prefer Montembeault over DeSmith.

Reactions: Tyson and MXD

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
True, DeSmith has 30ish more games and better numbers by virtue of being on a better team. Both went to the WC and played great for their team this year. The real difference is age, Montembeault is young enough that you might get a few good years of him as a starter, whereas DeSmith at 32 (Yesterday) is probably already on the downswing. So if a team is looking for a goalie there's no doubt they'd prefer Montembeault over DeSmith.
I agree that teams would prefer Montembault but goaltenders don’t necessarily peak in the early 30s like forwards do.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would be very surprised that KH discussed a trade involving Petry before acquiring him. Maybe before the NHL accepted the trade but certainly after the trade was done with Pens and SJ.

Why would you be surprised? He could have had conversations with some GMs that there's a chance he'll acquire Petry and that if the deal gets done with Pens, they can talk about a trade. Not that he already had a deal in place.

And when other GMs saw the deal go through, they called Hughes and showed interest. So now Hughes might have a few more teams to negotiate with.

All of this is plausible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad