Confirmed with Link: Montreal sends Hoffman & Pitlick to Pittsburgh for Petry (25% retained by Pens), DeSmith, Legare & Pens 2025 2nd

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Was hoping they'd keep Desmith, but given the fact his wife is pregnant and they're American, I find it unlikely he'd want to come here let alone be happy.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Was hoping they'd keep Desmith, but given the fact his wife is pregnant and they're American, I find it unlikely he'd want to come here let alone be happy.
I would keep DeSmith. Gives team depth. As Pretty good chance Primeau is claimed. Same way we acquired Monty. Primeau was once a top prospect in our system. Allen is usually injured also.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I would keep DeSmith. Gives team depth. As Pretty good chance Primeau is claimed. Same way we acquired Monty. Primeau was once a top prospect in our system. Allen is usually injured also.
Primeau just has youth on his side. That's about it so far. I don't think he gets claimed. Like someone said, every team has one or 2 Primeaus.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pitt 2nd could be early 2nd in '25. We also got Canucks 3rd as result of this trade. Wings 4th.

I like the picks. Not crazy about adding Pearson. He's taken away ice time from Ylonen so far, and may take away ice time from RHP and Slaf. Also, I think the youth, like Newhook, Slaf, RHP, and Ylonen, would benefit from playing with Monahan. But, Pearson is taking one of those wing spots next to Monahan.

Also, I don't think we'll get much for him at the TDL. If he's on pace for 20 goals maybe we get a 2nd. But I don't think he will be and I think his lack of footspeed will keep his value low.

But I prefer Pearson to Hoffman, that's for sure. Great trade. Essentially Pearson is better than Hoffman, Lindstrom is better than Pitlick, and we get a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for taking on 2.7M of Petry's cap hit in 2024-25.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I like the picks. Not crazy about adding Pearson. He's taken away ice time from Ylonen so far, and may take away ice time from RHP and Slaf. Also, I think the youth, like Newhook, Slaf, RHP, and Ylonen, would benefit from playing with Monahan. But, Pearson is taking one of those wing spots next to Monahan.

Also, I don't think we'll get much for him at the TDL. If he's on pace for 20 goals maybe we get a 2nd. But I don't think he will be and I think his lack of footspeed will keep his value low.

But I prefer Pearson to Hoffman, that's for sure. Great trade. Essentially Pearson is better than Hoffman, Lindstrom is better than Pitlick, and we get a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for taking on 2.7M of Petry's cap hit in 2024-25.
Lindstrom is not better than Pitlick, but it hardly matters. Pearson is clearly better than Hoffman in our context and we did get a bunch of picks that add up to a 30-35OA value.

Ylonen is a meh player and RHP is a replacement level bottom sixer. That's not who we are developing. Pearson is allowing Roy (and/or Farrell and Heineman) to get all or most of a year in Laval. Tanner will also get us something at the TDL whereas Hoffman would not have.

Reactions: First Line

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There is a tiny town in Washington called Vancouver, but I don't think he is playing there.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Pearson alright to me. He'll probably get us another pick at deadline. Make 4 picks from this trade

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pearson alright to me. He'll probably get us another pick at deadline. Make 4 picks from this trade
What pick do you think he'll get? It could be anywhere from a 1st to a 7th. I'll conservatively get my expectations up for a 5th, and be happy with a 4th, 3rd, or 2nd. Of course I'll be over the moon with a 1st. But I 'll be happy with a 5th, and anything more is a bonus. I won't be happy with a 6th or 7th.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
shame we could not get a sj second part of this hahahah could be as good as a first. But seriously getting anything for Hoffman was insane to begin with , and shows Hughes belongs in Harry Potter books !
We traded Hoffman and Pitlick for Pearson and Lindstrom (all four are on expiring contracts), plus we retained 2.35M of Petry's salary this year. So overall we're taking about 1.2M more in salary this year.

We got a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for retaining about 2.35M of Petry's salary next year, instead of having Hoffman's contract off the books.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
We traded Hoffman and Pitlick for Pearson and Lindstrom (all four are on expiring contracts), plus we retained 2.35M of Petry's salary this year. So overall we're taking about 1.2M more in salary this year.

We got a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for retaining about 2.35M of Petry's salary next year, instead of having Hoffman's contract off the books.
And the point is ? Next year the cap going up and we surely won’t need that cap ,
And having Hoffman on the team is bad by itself not only for the cap hit .while Pearson is productive and worth a future asset by himself

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And the point is ? Next year the cap going up and we surely won’t need that cap ,
And having Hoffman on the team is bad by itself not only for the cap hit .while Pearson is productive and worth a future asset by himself
The point is we didn't get the picks for Hoffman. We got them for taking on Petry's cap hit.

I like the trade a lot. I was hoping we'd buy hoffman out. That would have been a 1.7M cap hit this year and next. So I was very happy to take the picks and 2.35M of Petry's cap hit this year and next plus Pearson. And I like Lindstrom for Pitlick. Lindstrom is more useful to us, though that part of the trade is minimal in value.

Reactions: tazsub3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad