Confirmed with Link: Montreal sends Hoffman & Pitlick to Pittsburgh for Petry (25% retained by Pens), DeSmith, Legare & Pens 2025 2nd

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
My only question is why, with hundreds of other potential players that could be acquired, so many remain fixated on securing home town heroes. Now its Lafreniere, before it was Dublois. That’s what the Rangers, and all other teams ‘know’ : that in response to this predictable pressure from fans and the media, the team may be willing to overpay. Put simply, we are in an uneven bargaining position.
Part if it is Bergevin’s big weakness, perceived discount. He has value as a former 1OA, but you can get him at a discount becsuse he’s not producing.

The problem is that if the whole league sees the potential bargain it’s stops being a bargain because some team will make a sucker bid, though without MB as a GM that offer will be lower.

I would think it would be tempting for a team with a really late first to trade for him and see, but who knows?

I’m happy to see local players but I don’t know if the pressure would help or hurt. There must be pressure in NY.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
He was the full package on the PP. I've been following this team since the 90s, and nodody ran a PP for Montreal as good as him. His shot wasn't bad, but he was an excellent playmaker, and he was very good at knowing when to sneak in.
Having both prime Markov and Streit at the same time was an embarrassment of riches.

Too bad we cleared house in two years, there were good elements in there.

Reactions: the

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He's probably trying to trade him but if nothing good is on the table he might keep him.
There’s a train of thought that HuGo are waiting on interested team(s) to create space by setting their final rosters including LTIR eligibles

Would mean a trade would go down in a few weeks…

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
There’s a train of thought that HuGo are waiting on interested team(s) to create space by setting their final rosters w including LTIR eligibles

Would mean a trade would go down in a few weeks…
Honestly, I don't know why he would be so pressed to absolutely trade him...

I'd keep him.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
My only question is why, with hundreds of other potential players that could be acquired, so many remain fixated on securing home town heroes.

You can’t find an answer to this question yourself?

And in Lafs case, we’re talking about a first overall pick. It’s normal to think that under different circumstances he could develop into a star.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
My only question is why, with hundreds of other potential players that could be acquired, so many remain fixated on securing home town heroes. Now its Lafreniere, before it was Dublois. That’s what the Rangers, and all other teams ‘know’ : that in response to this predictable pressure from fans and the media, the team may be willing to overpay. Put simply, we are in an uneven bargaining position.
Because in Dubois and Lafreniere cases they were worth acquiring. Dubois because it looked like he would be a cheap acquisition and Lafreniere as a reclamation project. Mantha and texier on the other hand are mediocre and overpaid in Mantha's case and should be of no interest.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Because in Dubois and Lafreniere cases they were worth acquiring. Dubois because it looked like he would be a cheap acquisition and Lafreniere as a reclamation project. Mantha and texier on the other hand are mediocre and overpaid in Mantha's case and should be of no interest.
And you think there are no other cheap acquisition or reclamation projects that our fan base can't pine for?

Reactions: BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Possibly, but Lafreniere now is significantly better than Drouin. It would depend on price and salary. Lafreniere is stuck behind 2 better wingers and appears to be unable to play a different position. His production is not bad considering his deployment and he is likely to break out if given decent linemates.

The problems with the acquisition are that the Rangers know this and want value in return, and that he will always expect to be paid more as a former 1OA, even if he never puts up the expected production. He's not a defensive liability, and he's likely to score if he plays top line instead of third line.
If the price is the same as Drouin it's a hard pass for me.

Reactions: Big Lurk

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And you think there are no other cheap acquisition or reclamation projects that our fan base can't pine for?
No. Dubois and Lafreniere were the 2 most obvious possibilities though. There are others. McMichael before Laviolette was booted for example. Newhook who they traded for. KK if they thought there was anything to reclaim.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Still heartbroken we no longer have the great Mike Hoffman. Who is going to score all the PP goals now?
Would be great if Petry scored a ton of goals on the second unit as the shooter, not so much the QB. I'm pulling for a 1st from a TDL Petry trade, and Hughes to get a 1st and a 2nd from the great Hoff.

Jul 6, 2016

I'd keep him.
Hughes must make up his mind about it. I am sure Petry's family would appreciate to know WHERE they gonna live and where their kids will start school next September.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hughes must make up his mind about it. I am sure Petry's family would appreciate to know WHERE they gonna live and where their kids will start school next September.
lol or he can be smart about it and wait for a really good offer maybe?

Are we gonna stick it to our GMs when they’re not considerate of players families now?

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
lol or he can be smart about it and wait for a really good offer maybe?

Are we gonna stick it to our GMs when they’re not considerate of players families now?
Petry and his wife were the first ones super surprised by that trade to MTL. I am sure they are not feeling good right now about their immediate future.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I'd keep him.
Because as it stands, there's an extra year of 4.7M on our books, that wouldnt of existed once Hoffmans contract was finally up
So it would be nice to have that 5mill *off* the cap for 24-25, but we're all pretty sure it will be taken care of either way

For myself, Petry has until at least the trade deadline this season to be moved if not sooner (before October would be even better, but its not the end of the world)
But any longer then that and I'll be pretty upset lol

I was ok with rolling Savard, Barron, Kovasevic at RD next year and see where it took us as a stop gap year for RD specifically , but now with Petry, my fear is taking away NHL reps for Barron, (and Kovasevic too, don't laugh lol, but I'd rather develop him more than see petry mess up in his own zone, make horrible PP passes, and shots that hit sticks and skates that never go through...)
But if it's Kova that gets the press box and Barron gets 3RD duties I won't be overly opposed to that I guess

My other beef is, if you're gonna keep Petry, then at least trade Savard ffs
I don't want both.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Petry and his wife were the first ones super surprised by that trade to MTL. I am sure they are not feeling good right now about their immediate future.
You’re right. My priorities are a little wonky. I was thinking Hughes should be judicious with a good asset. Speed is important.

I’m sure the rest of the fan base agrees with you.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
God I can't wait for 2028 when people finally realize Lafreniere is not the guy that went 1 OA.
You’re really not a fan eh?

How is it that the guy came in with such a dominant rep? Is the Q overrated or is it that players are going the college route? There was so much hype behind this guy. He looked like a can’t miss.

Second question for you: do the Rangers hold any responsibility for him not living up to expectations?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
As I recall, Petry was not professional in the last of his time here. Up to then I always really liked the guy and was pleased he had resigned. I was surprised at how clearly he showed he wanted out, regardless of his family issues.

So I think it would be good if HUGO moves him out sooner than later. I just don't trust Petry will have a good attitude. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Reactions: EXPOS123

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Because as it stands, there's an extra year of 4.7M on our books, that wouldnt of existed once Hoffmans contract was finally up
So it would be nice to have that 5mill *off* the cap for 24-25, but we're all pretty sure it will be taken care of either way

For myself, Petry has until at least the trade deadline this season to be moved if not sooner (before October would be even better, but its not the end of the world)
But any longer then that and I'll be pretty upset lol

I was ok with rolling Savard, Barron, Kovasevic at RD next year and see where it took us as a stop gap year for RD specifically , but now with Petry, my fear is taking away NHL reps for Barron, (and Kovasevic too, don't laugh lol, but I'd rather develop him more than see petry mess up in his own zone, make horrible PP passes, and shots that hit sticks and skates that never go through...)
But if it's Kova that gets the press box and Barron gets 3RD duties I won't be overly opposed to that I guess

My other beef is, if you're gonna keep Petry, then at least trade Savard ffs
I don't want both.

We shouldn't be worried about Kovacevic's ice time. He is what he is, and he's likely going to be bounced around as a depth dman a few times in his career.

He was brought in on an emergency basis, and I feel like that's how it's going to be for him..... A temporary stopgap measure when teams are in a bind.

Reactions: montreal

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
As I recall, Petry was not professional in the last of his time here. Up to then I always really liked the guy and was pleased he had resigned. I was surprised at how clearly he showed he wanted out, regardless of his family issues.

So I think it would be good if HUGO moves him out sooner than later. I just don't trust Petry will have a good attitude. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I think as long as the borders remain open, you won't have to worry about petry.

That is assuming Hugo have provided him with a clearly defined plan about their intentions.

Reactions: yianik

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Petry did call out the Mumbler which many thought could have been handled internally but for me, I don’t like how he withers when a teammate gets wiped out by a dubious or blatant cheap hit and he’s just there, looking away, pretending it didn’t happen.

He does have a broski thing going with Caufield but I can’t imagine too many teammates would be enthused at his on-ice attitude.

That said, I read somewhere that Hughes had already been making calls to teams prior to acquiring Petry, when he knew the deal with the Pens would go down so it just further confirms that he was acquired to be flipped. If a trade is not feasible for whatever reason at this time, interest is sure to be there at the deadline.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Petry did call out the Mumbler which many thought could have been handled internally but for me, I don’t like how he withers when a teammate gets wiped out by a dubious or blatant cheap hit and he’s just there, looking away, pretending it didn’t happen.

He does have a broski thing going with Caufield but I can’t imagine too many teammates would be enthused at his on-ice attitude.

That said, I read somewhere that Hughes had already been making calls to teams prior to acquiring Petry, when he knew the deal with the Pens would go down so it just further confirms that he was acquired to be flipped. If a trade is not feasible for whatever reason at this time, interest is sure to be there at the deadline.
I agree and didn't like it, but it seems to be a more common thing amongst players and people.

The NHL is getting to the point where you can do what you want if your team is tough and has the skill, too.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just found the source that claims that Hughes was shopping Petry before even acquiring him.

Unfortunately, it’s Loaf Pagnotta so believe at your own risk. :sarcasm:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Just found the source that claims that Hughes was shopping Petry before even acquiring him.

Unfortunately, it’s Loaf Pagnotta so believe at your own risk. :sarcasm:

I would be very surprised that KH discussed a trade involving Petry before acquiring him. Maybe before the NHL accepted the trade but certainly after the trade was done with Pens and SJ.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would be very surprised that KH discussed a trade involving Petry before acquiring him. Maybe before the NHL accepted the trade but certainly after the trade was done with Pens and SJ.

the talk was that the Pens were trying to move Petry before the trade but couldn't get his cap hit down low enough with a contending team that has cap space. So a 3rd team had to be brought in, so the thought is they kept the talks with these teams going once the trade was done, just instead of the Pens trying to trade him at a much higher cap hit then we could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad