OT: Montreal music festivals (Heavy MTL/Osheaga etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
Names I'd like to see added:

Broken Social Scene, Caribou, Portishead, Massive Attack, Prodigy, Arches, Atlas Sound/Deerhunter, Animal Collective/Panda Bear, J Mascic, The Kills, GSY!BE, Deftones/Team Sleep, She Wants Revenge, The Thrills, Coconut Records, Air, MGMT, TV on the Radio..... I'll stop now because it won't end :(

lots of bands there that I'd like to see. I still think many of them could end up being on the bill seeing as how many bands still need to be added . Tv on th radio's is playing metropolis on Sunday so I doubt they'll be at osheaga

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
oh and R.E.M.

btw, Ratatat was here ~3 months ago and they'll be @ Osheaga.

I've seen a bunch of bands playing in Montréal 3-4 months after Osheaga as well. I don't think it matters that much.

Last edited:

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
It's funny, the reaction from HFBoards is underwhelming while people on Facebook and Twitter are going crazy for Eminem, Kid Cudi, MSTRKRFT, Beirut, Sam Roberts etc. etc.

The only act I really wanna see is Eminem.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
It's funny, the reaction from HFBoards is underwhelming while people on Facebook and Twitter are going crazy for Eminem, Kid Cudi, MSTRKRFT, Beirut, Sam Roberts etc. etc.

The only act I really wanna see is Eminem.

I'd venture to guess it's because there's a lot of indie rock fans here that expected Osheaga to keep up with its mainly indie rock guests.

However, it seems they're going for mainstream headliners this year and indie rock fans are disappointed, rightfully so; whereas casual music fans are happy with the (random) big names.

As a rap fan, I'd love to see Shad but have absolutely no interest in Cudi/Eminem. Ratatat and Bran Van are cool as well, but not much interest to go for me.

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
Eminem back in Montreal. This is bigger then christmas!! Was there in 2000 been waiting and hoping ever since. Best show ever!!!!

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
I'd venture to guess it's because there's a lot of indie rock fans here that expected Osheaga to keep up with its mainly indie rock guests.

However, it seems they're going for mainstream headliners this year and indie rock fans are disappointed, rightfully so; whereas casual music fans are happy with the (random) big names.

As a rap fan, I'd love to see Shad but have absolutely no interest in Cudi/Eminem. Ratatat and Bran Van are cool as well, but not much interest to go for me.

This. People I've spoken to are just a little dissapointing that none of the healiners (to this point) really cater to audience that has helped build the festival. It really doesn't matter to me. I might watch Eminem, I might not. It doesn't matter to me but it's a little dissapointing when you compare him to who could of been headlining and how much money they probably spent to book him

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I think the organizers have another big band up their sleeves. Osheaga posters always have the headliners names at the very top, with the others below. If you check out their website for 2011, Eminem's name is the only one at the top.

I know it's not much to go on, but it makes sense. Let's face it, Elvis Costello/Flaming Lips/Death Cab are not big enough names to be headliners, especially for a music festival that's been led by acts such as: Arcade Fire, Weezer, Coldplay, The Killers, and The Smashing Pumpkins.

Check out the lineup for the Bonnaroo festival (in Tennessee), now that looks insane.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
I think the organizers have another big band up their sleeves. Osheaga posters always have the headliners names at the very top, with the others below. If you check out their website for 2011, Eminem's name is the only one at the top.

I know it's not much to go on, but it makes sense. Let's face it, Elvis Costello/Flaming Lips/Death Cab are not big enough names to be headliners, especially for a music festival that's been led by acts such as: Arcade Fire, Weezer, Coldplay, The Killers, and The Smashing Pumpkins.

I agree with you it's just a dangerous game to play. Being a montrealer I can bide my time see how the lineup is filled up and the buy my ticket when I feel but many people come from outta town and need to make plans and I'm sure that based on this lineup some people won't come this year

Last edited:

PaganKnight

Jul 29, 2009
Montreal
I agree with you it's just a dangerous game to play. Being a montrealer I can bide my time see how the lineup is filled up and the buy my ticket when I feel but many people come from outta town and need to make plans and I'm sure that based on this lineup some people won't come this year

That's the truth People will takes their money to see other things. I'm for sure not going to Osheaga this year I'll take the money I save and go to see Metallica in Québec instead. For way less money

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I just hope they add one (or two) off MGMT, Sufjan Stevens, The Antlers, Jimmy Eat World, Mumford & Sons, Kings of Leon.

I'd love to see them live. I'm really disappointed they couldn't get one of the more popular bands at the moment.

Although, there's still a lot of time left before July. IIRC, they added acts like Snoop Dogg and K'naan a few weeks before the show.

I'd also love to see Florence + The Machine. If you like her music, Youtube her performance at Oxegen (huge rock festival in Ireland), it's amazing.

Sharp Skates

Aug 13, 2008
Helsinki
I'm hesitating between getting a 3-day pass or a 2-day. I'd like to catch Eminem, MSTRKRFT, Bassnectar, Crystal Castles, Karkwa and Ratatat. The rest I don't care for much. Therefore if I can get most of these in the two-day pass, I won't bother paying more for the 3-day, but how do you know who will perform on what day? Do I have to just wait until it's announced? Won't the tickets be gone really fast?

Montrealers, help please! :(

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been updated today, but the Broken Social Scene have been added to Osheaga.

Furthermore, the schedule is up online. Here's the Friday lineup, which is much smaller for now than the other two days (I'm guessing they're going to be adding a lot more acts to this day in the upcoming few weeks):

Friday, Jul 29

Eminem
KiD CuDi
Janelle Monáe
Broken Social Scene
Bran Van 3000
Joseph Arthur
Lights
Charles Bradley
Uncle Bad Touch

The lineups for Saturday and Sunday are linked here: http://lineup.osheaga.com/?sort=day

Last edited:

void

Jan 5, 2006
Janelle Monae, Cypress Hill, Lights, Charles Bradley, and Joseph Arthur were also added.

Cypress Hill should be... interesting. :laugh:

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Ugh, I want to see bands all 3 days. No way am I paying though.

And god damnit, Warped Tour sucks this year too :(

Guess it's hanging out at Underworld shows all summer for Stephen :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad