Rumor: Montreal Interest in DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Non-sense. Corporations and businesses who laid off employees and still collected money from bailouts should have to pay back triple what they were given. Garbage system run by garbage people voted in by poor people who vote against their own self interests because they were indoctrinated to actually believe the poop coming out of your mouth. Do you think upper management took paycuts while the general staff became jobless? Poppycock.
That was the case in my firm - everyone took a pay cut and all bonuses were cancelled to minimize reductions that unfortunately were needed

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Basically to sum up all my feelings on the issue..

Is an 18 year old kid from South Jersey calling one of his heterosexual teammates the "f" slur the worst thing in the world? Obviously not, many of us called our friends worse things at that age.

But we will never know the full context and how abusive and toxic he really is to be around. The fact that nobody wants to play with him is a good enough reason to keep him far far away. I fully believe in second chances and I think society would generally benefit if we were all less punitive of each other, but you actually have to work to earn a second chance.

If he apologizes for all the harm he's caused, excels in Europe, and is loved by his teammates. Then I would consider giving him a shot
Words are funny like that. Intent is what matters.

An interesting recent example was Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carlton Davis making a post where he referred to a bunch of people on social media as “gooks”. SJWs wanted to cancel him and for him to lose his livelihood for anti-Asian hate, but turns out the word “gook” has a different meaning in the slums of Miami where Davis from and likely not well versed on Vietnam war era racist terms- and his comment wasn’t directed at any Asians so was fair to assume he had no racist intent when using the word. But that is still not enough for some.

I personally avoid words that are hurtful to others, but sometimes people use words with completely different intents. I know many who have used the “f” bomb who aren’t homophobic whatsoever, and they are just blindly throwing the word around as it has a different meaning to them. Should they still be canceled?

Bottom line, is intent matters.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Basically to sum up all my feelings on the issue..

Is an 18 year old kid from South Jersey calling one of his heterosexual teammates the "f" slur the worst thing in the world? Obviously not, many of us called our friends worse things at that age.

But we will never know the full context and how abusive and toxic he really is to be around. The fact that nobody wants to play with him is a good enough reason to keep him far far away. I fully believe in second chances and I think society would generally benefit if we were all less punitive of each other, but you actually have to work to earn a second chance.

If he apologizes for all the harm he's caused, excels in Europe, and is loved by his teammates. Then I would consider giving him a shot
There is alot of maturing needs to happen with this kid. Can he mature? Sure he can...but will he? Ever?
Let's not have him come to Montreal to find out...maybe in a few years when he can prove he can function as an adult.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Words are funny like that. Intent is what matters.

An interesting recent example was Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carlton Davis making a post where he referred to a bunch of people on social media as “gooks”. SJWs wanted to cancel him and for him to lose his livelihood for anti-Asian hate, but turns out the word “gook” has a different meaning in the slums of Miami where Davis from and likely not well versed on Vietnam war era racist terms- and his comment wasn’t directed at any Asians so was fair to assume he had no racist intent when using the word. But that is still not enough for some.

I personally avoid words that are hurtful to others, but sometimes people use words with completely different intents. I know many who have used the “f” bomb who aren’t homophobic whatsoever, and they are just blindly throwing the word around as it has a different meaning to them. Should they still be canceled?

Bottom line, is intent matters.

What do you think his intent was when getting kicked off his current NHL team? Probably wholesome like all the other times, right?

Just give it to me straight.

You support DeAngelo acquisition or not?

Reactions: le_sean

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't want him on our team but I think the underlying issue that some posters believe that all conservatives are racists is insulting.

I am done discussing this as I hate delving into politics with people who think I am a racist because of my political views. My initial post was more to that point than this player who obviously has issues and is probably never going to learn.

being conservative has nothing to do with being racist. Unfortunately, much of the conservative movement has been co-opted by racist elements, to ignore or deny that points is no different than ignoring or denying that DeAngelo has repeateadly shown himself to be of highly questionable character and attached to reprehensible opinions about large portions of our communities.

Does defending a racist make someone a racist? meh, the categorizations and naming/semantics don't really matter... actions speak for themselves.

People are racists because of their actions and behaviors. Taking action to support moving political discourse and policy back to a past where inequality and open discrimination was accepted without challenge would certainly qualify as racist action. Let your actions speak for themselves.

Reactions: MasterDecoy and MXD

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What do you think his intent was when getting kicked off his current NHL team? Probably wholesome like all the other times, right?

It wasn’t racist vs Georgiev, it was black man K’Andre Miller who was the only one able to break it up after Kreider punched DeAngelo.

DeAngelo has serious rage issues, I don’t think there’s one person here denying that. The unknown question is whether those issues can be overcome and if so there’s potentially a low cost of acquisition w high end talent asset able to be had.

If not (which is most likely scenario IMO), then DeAngelo is a pure distraction.

That thorough analysis of DeAngelo needs to be done in a stoic and non-emotional manner

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

I don’t have enough information to judge the mans character. But hockey wise he’d be a fit.

however I wouldn’t risk bringing a toxic person into the dressing room, I just don’t know enough to describe him as that. Sometimes folks get mislabeled and aren’t what the perception of them is.

Believe me, if he’s the type of guy to even look at Suzuki the wrong way I’d hope he’d get beaten into oblivion by the entire team. I’m just not willing to assume he is that type of guy based on the information I’ve seen.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I have some dire news for our convent of Saint Theresa (or is it a Convent of Diversity and Inclusion these days?). In a game against the Toronto Marlies our own Yannick Veilleux had made a gesture of simulating oral sex, no doubt suggesting that the Marlies' players sexual orientation does not conform to that of the majority of adult males.

After this deplorable incident, Veilleux was not only not cut loose by the organizations' affiliate, the Laval Rocket, but he's on his way to earning himself an NHL contract.

Surely, moral consistency demands that the Convent stops supporting the Montreal Canadiens organization. Or does the moral code not extend to AHL affiliates? (I would not dare to presume that it doesn't cover the homosexuals).

Reactions: habsfan92

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don’t have enough information to judge the mans character. But hockey wise he’d be a fit.

however I wouldn’t risk bringing a toxic person into the dressing room, I just don’t know enough to describe him as that. Sometimes folks get mislabeled and aren’t what the perception of them is.

Believe me, if he’s the type of guy to even look at Suzuki the wrong way I’d hope he’d get beaten into oblivion by the entire team. I’m just not willing to assume he is that type of guy based on the information I’ve seen.

On it's face, what is your sense?

Suspended twice in juniors for violating the diversity policy
Scratched and moved by Tampa Bay
Moved from Arizona
Kicked off NYR

Wouldn't you agree the pattern of behaviour and the circumstances point that at minimum, he's been a discriminatory POS in the past, his father is on record being one, and his current NHL team is paying him to not play him.. that the character issues are probably very real?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Moved from Arizona
Kicked off NYR

Wouldn't you agree the pattern of behaviour and the circumstances point that at minimum, he's been a discriminatory POS in the past, his father is on record being one, and his current NHL team is paying him to not play him.. that the character issues are probably very real?
Again, I’ve yet to see any proof of racism. As well, we are canceling guys for the words of their relatives now? What about Galchenyuk being on 7 teams in less than 2 years. Gotta be smoke there, right? But think the Leafs are happy with him at the moment.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Am I wrong or is there any article that actually confirms that he said something racist? Are people just connecting dots because he is a Trump supporter?

Like I said earlier, the issue with a teammate was most likely a homophobic slur and not anything racist. There weren't even any minority players on Sarnia at the time.

I'm all for trashing this guy but I just want some clarity on why everyone is saying he's racist in case I missed something

Reactions: leetch99

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
being conservative has nothing to do with being racist. Unfortunately, much of the conservative movement has been co-opted by racist elements, to ignore or deny that points is no different than ignoring or denying that DeAngelo has repeateadly shown himself to be of highly questionable character and attached to reprehensible opinions about large portions of our communities.

Does defending a racist make someone a racist? meh, the categorizations and naming/semantics don't really matter... actions speak for themselves.

People are racists because of their actions and behaviors. Taking action to support moving political discourse and policy back to a past where inequality and open discrimination was accepted without challenge would certainly qualify as racist action. Let your actions speak for themselves.
Let's face it EVERY race has their racists it's human nature.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Moved from Arizona
Kicked off NYR

You didn’t read up on Christian Picciolini did you?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Am I wrong or is there any article that actually confirms that he said something racist? Are people just connecting dots because he is a Trump supporter?

Like I said earlier, the issue with a teammate was most likely a homophobic slur and not anything racist. There weren't even any minority players on Sarnia at the time.

I'm all for trashing this guy but I just want some clarity on why everyone is saying he's racist in case I missed something
His first suspension in juniors w Sarnia was for racial slur vs a teammate, the other suspensions in juniors, AHL, and NHL have been for erratic behavior including abusive language of coaches & refs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It wasn’t racist vs Georgiev, it was black man K’Andre Miller who was the only one able to break it up after Kreider punched DeAngelo.

DeAngelo has serious rage issues, I don’t think there’s one person here denying that. The unknown question is whether those issues can be overcome and if so there’s potentially a low cost of acquisition asset able to be had.

If not (which is most likely scenario IMO), then DeAngelo is a pure distraction.

The analysis of DeAngelo needs to be done in a stoic and non-emotional manner

yes, aside from the evidence that the guy is of very questionable character, the reality of the moment remains that he has been deemed such a distraction that his team is willing to pay him millions to sit at home (just 4 months after signing him to 2yrs @ 9M$) and has deemed him such a distraction that he's not even worth sending to the AHL to bolster their farm team.

in any market, it would be a very risky/dubious decision to take a flyer on him... in montreal, with the socio-cultural diversity and existing community tension around race/religion issues? Would be absolutely idiotic to think that wouldn't cause completely unnecessary distraction to the team/players even if he came in and was on his best behaviour. MB would have to be totally clueless and/or desperate to chase that... sh*t... he's coming to town this summer isn't he :facepalm:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Brandon Prust is a massive idiot. His girlfriend at the time was too. But Prust kept it to himself and played hockey. His idiocy only showed after he retired. DeAngelo can’t even do that. And he’s not just an idiot, he’s racist and violent. He’s never going to change, even his father admitted it. He’s a piece of garbage and I don’t want him anywhere near Montreal. And you better believe that acquisition would get serious blowback from fans and non-fans alike in this city. Bergevin and maybe even Molson wouldn’t recover from that.

Reactions: MasterDecoy

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I'm sure DeAngelo is a passionate guy. He's no sage. He fuels his passion on the ice like a crazy alcoholic painter on a canvas. I wouldn't expect an athlete to be a PhD candidate. Does it matter if he's dumb as a rock? His anger is what drives him to perform. And he's not the only one. It's a big miss, he would have been the perfect piece of the puzzle for this team.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Isn't he the guy that had a fake SM account to try and defend himself, pretending to be a fan, or something like that?

That was weird.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Brandon Prust is a massive idiot. His girlfriend at the time was too. But Prust kept it to himself and played hockey. His idiocy only showed after he retired. DeAngelo can’t even do that. And he’s not just an idiot, he’s racist and violent. He’s never going to change, even his father admitted it. He’s a piece of garbage and I don’t want him anywhere near Montreal. And you better believe that acquisition would get serious blowback from fans and non-fans alike in this city. Bergevin and maybe even Molson wouldn’t recover from that.
Prust was a good teammate at the very least. Even if he was more vocal politically while he played it wouldn't have mattered because he was there for the boys on the ice

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Ya this is where I’m at as well. Lotta of people calling him a racist, yet zero evidence provided.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
His first suspension in juniors w Sarnia was for racial slur vs a teammate, the other suspensions in juniors, AHL, and NHL have been for erratic behavior including abusive language of coaches & refs

That's what I'm talking about. I think the truth of the incident has gotten lost in the headlines. He was suspended for violating anti-discriminatory policy which pertains to racism, sexism, and homophobia. The entire team was made up of white guys from the US, Canada, and Europe. There was nobody to be racist to even if he wanted. Most likely he violated the policy regarding homophobia but the media ran with the racism part of it.

Although, I could be way wrong, just looking for something concrete

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Prust was a good teammate at the very least. Even if he was more vocal politically while he played it wouldn't have mattered because he was there for the boys on the ice

Plus we are just talking about a political opinion. As much as I hate his side, he has that right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad