Rumor: Montreal Interest in DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
NHL Rumors - ProHockeyRumors.com mentioned today that "Montreal was among the teams interested in DeAngelo if he was to become an unrestricted free agent". They mentioned the Rangers will be buying him out this summer. Curious after all the "character" talk a few seasons ago when we purged Subban / Pacioretty / Galchenyuk if Bergevin would even look at DeAngelo.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I understand the intrigue in signing him. Offensive defenseman, moves the puck well, skates well....but his background should make him nearly unsignable. However, the addiction to winning can cloud ones morals quite easily.

Somebody in the States will sign him once he's bought out.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Can someone post a reminder of what DeAngelo did?
Juniors (Sarnia) - reprimanded twice for harassment, abuse and diversity policy to a teammate - one incident was confirmed racial slur at teammate. Even after trade to Sault St Marie his behavior was called a “gong show”

When TBay selected him Rob Zetterberg in AHL scratched him multiple times due to attitude issues, undisciplined play and an aversion to playing defense (I’m sure some here will love that)

Traded to Yotes - he was suspended for abusing officials

NYR - Quinn benched him & made him a healthy scratch for unnecessary abuse of officials leading to misconduct, and of course his most recent altercation w Georgiev

There’s a constant trend of an angry young man from the slums of South Philly...key being young and can / is he willing to grow?

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
All I’m aware of was he’s a Trump supporter. Not a rapist.... not a murderer... Absolutely boggles my mind some just want to cancel a guy over politics.

He was suspended twice in juniors for directing racial slurs to his own teammates.

That behaviour has continued on smaller scales since and has led to him, at this point, being kicked off the Rangers despite being a fantastic offensive defenseman.

It isn't political.

And I'll go further and say, I'll ignore anyone here who will support the acquisition of Tony DeAngelo full well knowing he is a racist.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He was suspended twice in juniors for directing racial slurs to his own teammates.

That behaviour has continued on smaller scales since and has led to him, at this point, being kicked off the Rangers despite being a fantastic offensive defenseman.

It isn't political.

And I'll go further and say, I'll ignore anyone here who will support the acquisition of Tony DeAngelo full well knowing he is a racist.
Once for racial slur at teammate, second time was erratic behavior...

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Once for racial slur at teammate, second time was erratic behavior...

During the 2013–14 season, DeAngelo was suspended eight games by his OHL team, the Sarnia Sting,[4] and league for making "a most inappropriate statement to a teammate".[5][6] Additionally, the article which confirmed the suspension mentioned this was the second time DeAngelo had been suspended by the OHL for violating the harassment, abuse and diversity policy, though it did not detail the first incident. In November of the same year, DeAngelo was suspended one game for abuse of officials.[7][better source needed] Despite these transgressions, DeAngelo was considered to be a top prospect heading into the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.[8]

Despite his play on the ice, DeAngelo was difficult to handle off it, according to an OHL staffer of the time. Both the Sting and the Greyhounds went through a "daily struggle" trying to manage him, describing the experience as something akin to a "gong show," especially when the Sting and Greyhounds weren't playing well. Reportedly, his behavioral issues dated back to his days playing youth hockey in New Jersey.[14]

However, his behavioral issues continued; he was a healthy scratch eight times during the season. Although Lightning management and Syracuse head coach Rob Zettler referred to these scratches as "coaches decisions", they likely sprang from attitude issues, undisciplined play and an aversion to defense, as DeAngelo posted a plus-minus of –18 with Syracuse.[16]

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-14_11-32-12.png
    upload_2021-4-14_11-32-12.png
    166 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: NeptunesTrident

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The second time was for threatening one of the coaches not racially motivated

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the contract is low AAV, I'm open to it as long as the term is 1 year. Might get good value and he is mentored well by our vets or he is a problem and you bury the contract in the AHL.

Definitely open to giving him a 2nd chance with the Habs.... as long as the risks are low

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
i do not ever want to see that scum in montreal

i dont really buy that rumor though, why would bergevin preach character all these years, only to take on a guy that is so toxic, the rangers had to bury him, paying millions for the privilege of not having him near the team?

Reactions: zeeto

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
i do not ever want to see that scum in montreal

i dont really buy that rumor though, why would bergevin preach character all these years, only to take on a guy that is so toxic, the rangers had to bury him, paying millions for the privilege of not having near the team?

see:
Michel Therrien
Andrew Shaw
Max Domi

MB doesn't really care about character.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
During the 2013–14 season, DeAngelo was suspended eight games by his OHL team, the Sarnia Sting,[4] and league for making "a most inappropriate statement to a teammate".[5][6] Additionally, the article which confirmed the suspension mentioned this was the second time DeAngelo had been suspended by the OHL for violating the harassment, abuse and diversity policy, though it did not detail the first incident. In November of the same year, DeAngelo was suspended one game for abuse of officials.[7][better source needed] Despite these transgressions, DeAngelo was considered to be a top prospect heading into the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.[8]

Despite his play on the ice, DeAngelo was difficult to handle off it, according to an OHL staffer of the time. Both the Sting and the Greyhounds went through a "daily struggle" trying to manage him, describing the experience as something akin to a "gong show," especially when the Sting and Greyhounds weren't playing well. Reportedly, his behavioral issues dated back to his days playing youth hockey in New Jersey.[14]

However, his behavioral issues continued; he was a healthy scratch eight times during the season. Although Lightning management and Syracuse head coach Rob Zettler referred to these scratches as "coaches decisions", they likely sprang from attitude issues, undisciplined play and an aversion to defense, as DeAngelo posted a plus-minus of –18 with Syracuse.[16]
Second time (bold) was for abusive behavior against one of Sarnia’s coaches

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
An embarrassment if this is true. He didn't even do anything to suggest remorse for whatever the multiple things he did with the Rangers to cause him to be kicked off. I'm not sure it's a coincidence they also started to play better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad