Proposal: Montreal has so much cap space they could afford to take on Lucic if it means getting Puljujarvi

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I just don't think Puljujarvi is worth taking on Lucic's hit. I don"t think he has a lot of value. At this point I feel he is a reclamation project. He has 9pts in 44 games this season, he may have talent and he may be skilled but taking Lucic back is an absurd expectation.
He has as much value as Strome did when they acquried Schmaltz.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
He has as much value as Strome did when they acquried Schmaltz.

I think there is a hope he can live up to being the 4oa pick and what the assumption of that brings. I'm not sure that equates to his value at this point.

I think D. Strome is a similar story but the change of scenery did him well, as did R. Strome in NY.
I just don't know about Pulju at this time. Yes he needs a trade. I just don't think his value is high to warrant Edm. doing that.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Mike Komisarek also spurned the Habs to join the Leafs. Jeff Finger and Clarkson were huge gets as well. Leafs 4 for 4 on the ufa front.

No one cares about old news, bruh. Or ppl would be saying what great contract Scott Gomez was.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, and its way too early to anoint him as a future #1D. Plus, he's a RHD and we have Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Josh Brook... Bouchard wouldn't crack the Habs roster for at least 2 years.
Bouchard is one of the elite prospects and in time will be one of the better defenceman in the NHL . It would be a mistake for Edmonton to trade him . They won't trade him .

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Montreal is the perfect candidate to overpay someone with an offer sheet, Marner 7 x $12m is my prediction

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Scheifele and Mackinnon have been 1st line centers for years now. Just because he won't be at his absolute peak doesn't mean he won't be a dominant player

it took MacKinnon until his 5th year to be the dominant centre he was projected to be, and even then, he hasnt come close to winning a Cup. I dont doubt JK will be very good in a few years, but come on, the guy isnt projected to be a franchise centre a la MacKinnon.

All Im saying is the Habs need more than what they have to be contenders. JK is a great start, but I dont think Domi and Drouin are the missing pieces win them Cup by any means. Jury is out on Poehling, Suzuki, and Romanov, and it will be years down the road until we know. I sincerely wish they wouldve tanked a few more years to have more certainty in their future, primarily on D.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It is known that Montreal has a lot of cap space but especially with a rising cap the amount of loose cash they could have lying around is so high that I could see them taking on Lucic if the Oilers make it worth their while (i.e. Puljujarvi). I think the Habs could even send a solid forward back in return to compensate their loss (maybe Byron or Armia?) along with picks.

Even keeping some big contracts that could be replaced from within (Tatar $4.8M, Shaw $3.9M, Byron $3.4M) and giving big raises to Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher and Mete AND acquiring a dman to the tune of $4M or $5M AND accounting for an Alzner buyout, Montreal would still have the cap space to acquire Lucic's contract in it's entirety (no retention from Oilers).

Do you believe the Habs could realistically acquire Puljujarvi by taking on Lucic and what kind of return would the Oilers agree to? Keep in mind Claude Julien loves Lucic and they have won together. Claude Julien could be able to re-launch Lucic's career.
Been discussed 100 times. Lucic contract not worth it. At 4 more years, 6 million per and he is done now. Just can't touch it

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Instead of using that cap space on a guy like Lucic, why not sign multiple good free agents?

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Sure, the Habs could take Pulju for a 6th round pick or something. Not much else. Lucic would be a negative in a trade, requiring more add :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad