Proposal: Montreal has so much cap space they could afford to take on Lucic if it means getting Puljujarvi

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It is known that Montreal has a lot of cap space but especially with a rising cap the amount of loose cash they could have lying around is so high that I could see them taking on Lucic if the Oilers make it worth their while (i.e. Puljujarvi). I think the Habs could even send a solid forward back in return to compensate their loss (maybe Byron or Armia?) along with picks.

Even keeping some big contracts that could be replaced from within (Tatar $4.8M, Shaw $3.9M, Byron $3.4M) and giving big raises to Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher and Mete AND acquiring a dman to the tune of $4M or $5M AND accounting for an Alzner buyout, Montreal would still have the cap space to acquire Lucic's contract in it's entirety (no retention from Oilers).

Do you believe the Habs could realistically acquire Puljujarvi by taking on Lucic and what kind of return would the Oilers agree to? Keep in mind Claude Julien loves Lucic and they have won together. Claude Julien could be able to re-launch Lucic's career.

Reactions: Stubu

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d easily say yes. My guess is even if Montreal would the ask would be more than Puljujarvi.

At full hit on Lucic I’d personally want Bouchard+

I say this as an Oil fan. Simply isn’t happening

Reactions: dralaf

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This would be the ultimate MB special. It exceeds even Chiarelli levels of genius for the other team to do it. The Oil would solve their failing player crisis in one shot

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That is trollish speculation.

Looch is untradeable. His NMC is toxic to protecting players in the expansion draft. His contract is buyout proof. His game is slow and his decline is untenable.

Why would the Habs do this trade and only get a project as a sweetner?

We have to make room for Poehling and Suzuki.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Gross.. I wouldnt want either guys if i were a Habs fan. Lucic and Puljujarvi look awful and both look lost.

If a team were dumb enough to save Oilers ass from Lucics deal, the incentive would have to be a hell of alot more than Puljujarvi
Not worth giving Pulju a shot?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not worth giving Pulju a shot?

Oh go ahead and give him a shot.. But the return Oilers would get would be very minimal and probably not worth moving him for.

A swap of struggling prospects or a mid round pick or give oilers a cap dump or something is all id give up for Puljujarvi. But as i said, makes no sense for Oilers

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Doesn’t seem worthwhile for Montreal. That’s a lot of cap to eat for the next few years. Gonna need more than pool to take that contract.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'd be reluctant to take on Lucic for Bouchard, even.

Certainly not taking on his deal for just Puljujärvi.

Habs would definitely not take Looch for Bouchard. We have Juulsen and Josh Brook in the pipe. If Bouchard was a LHD, it might make sense.

Reactions: stanley25

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
It is known that Montreal has a lot of cap space but especially with a rising cap the amount of loose cash they could have lying around is so high that I could see them taking on Lucic if the Oilers make it worth their while (i.e. Puljujarvi). I think the Habs could even send a solid forward back in return to compensate their loss (maybe Byron or Armia?) along with picks.

Even keeping some big contracts that could be replaced from within (Tatar $4.8M, Shaw $3.9M, Byron $3.4M) and giving big raises to Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher and Mete AND acquiring a dman to the tune of $4M or $5M AND accounting for an Alzner buyout, Montreal would still have the cap space to acquire Lucic's contract in it's entirety (no retention from Oilers).

Do you believe the Habs could realistically acquire Puljujarvi by taking on Lucic and what kind of return would the Oilers agree to? Keep in mind Claude Julien loves Lucic and they have won together. Claude Julien could be able to re-launch Lucic's career.
If Montreal had any interest in Jesse Puljujarvi who is a restricted free agent after this season and with the cap space Montreal have they just need to offer sheet Puljujarvi at 4000 000 per and force Edmonton to match or loss him with Montreal only having to give a 2nd rd pick in return . Its doubtful Montreal have interest in Puljujarvi but if the do they don't need to trade for him to get him. If Edmonton match an offer sheet that just puts the Oilers in a bigger hole than their already in .

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
We have cap space now.. but most likely won’t have any in 3-4 years when Kotkaniemi, Mete, Poehling, Suzuki, Danault, Gallagher, Domi, Juulsen will all need new contracts.

Nothing to see here. If he had 2 years left on his deal? Maybe. Now? No way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad