Proposal: Montreal has so much cap space they could afford to take on Lucic if it means getting Puljujarvi

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Habs have Juulsen and Josh Brook in the pipe. Weber is playing #1D quality and is not slowing down at all. Petry is also playing top-pairing D quality. We don't need a 1D for at least 3 years.

thats the problem, its going to be a while before theyre contenders, as for all we know Kotkaniemi wont enter his peak/prime for another 5-6 years, let alone Poehling and Suzuki.... and by then the window will shrink fast with Price and Weber.

Their D prospects are nothing really special at this point, imo. Theyll be lucky if: Mete, Romanov, and Juuslen are all top 4 dmen, which is unlikely, and probably also 5-6 years away. Where are they going to get a #1D?

I honestly wish they wouldve tanked this year and next.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
thats the problem.... 3-5 years is when they need to start being contenders, as the window will shrink fast with Price and Weber. For all we know Kotkaniemi wont enter his peak/prime for another 5-6 years, let alone Poehling and Suzuki.

Their D prospects are nothing really special at this point, imo. Theyll be lucky if: Mete, Romanov, and Juuslen are all top 4 dmen, which is unlikely, and probably also 5-6 years away. Where are they going to get a #1D?

Mete is already playing top-4 minutes and performing admirably.
Romanov is playing in a professional league and contributing while dominating the WJHC and voted best dman at 18 years old.
Brook will need some seasoning.
Juulsen is injured but expected to return and will see if he can re-establish himself in the lineup.

With all that said, what does any of that have to do with Lucic with Bouchard as a sweetner. Bouchard is no closer to being a #1Dman than any of the others.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
thats the problem, its going to be a while before theyre contenders, as for all we know Kotkaniemi wont enter his peak/prime for another 5-6 years, let alone Poehling and Suzuki.... and by then the window will shrink fast with Price and Weber.

I honestly wish they wouldve tanked this year and next.

Why are players only good when they're older than 25? Have you paid attention to who is making the most noise in the past 3-4 years?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Mete is already playing top-4 minutes and performing admirably.
Romanov is playing in a professional league and contributing while dominating the WJHC and voted best dman at 18 years old.
Brook will need some seasoning.
Juulsen is injured but expected to return and will see if he can re-establish himself in the lineup.

With all that said, what does any of that have to do with Lucic with Bouchard as a sweetner. Bouchard is no closer to being a #1Dman than any of the others.

Bouchard was a top 10 pick just last year. I guarantee you all 31 GMs would take him over any Habs D prospect and then some.

Championship teams need a great Dmen unless you have Crosby and Malkin down the middle. Habs definintely dont have that for the future unless theres a huge surprise.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Bouchard was a top 10 pick just last year. I guarantee you all 31 GMs would take him over any Habs D prospect and then some.

Championship teams need a great Dmen unless you have Crosby and Malkin down the middle. Habs definintely dont have that for the future unless theres a huge surprise.

JP was a top-5 pick and look at him. Where you were picked is irrelevant.

Romanov was a 2nd round pick and was infinitely better than Bouchard - winning the best dman award at the most prolific best on best junior tournament.

Bouchard's skating is a huge concern to me. I don't see him ever being a top-pairing dman. I would take Romanov over him in a heartbeat right now.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
probably right, but I would be interested in Bouchard... I dont like MTL's D in the next few years as Weber gets older and slower.

Mete's the big question mark, but I doubt will be a top 2 Dman... we still need to see more of Romanov and Brook, which may be 3-4 years until they are even relevant (if they are).

I think they really need a #1D soon.
Exactly, Oilers don’t have the type of assets that are a good value for a team to accept Lucic. Most of their assets (very few) are either way too rich (Mcdavid, Drai, etc) or are too low of value. The first is the only good middle point but that depends where the Oilers end up...

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Why are players only good when they're older than 25? Have you paid attention to who is making the most noise in the past 3-4 years?

Have you?.... you really think Kotka's gonna hit his peak at 22? of course not. Hes not McDavid nor Matthews, Crosby, or Malkin.

Look how old Mackinnon is. How old Kopitar was..... Scheifele, Seguin, Bergeron, etc until they hit their peak

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Have you?.... you really think Kotka's gonna hit his peak at 22? of course not. Hes not McDavid nor Matthews, Crosby, or Malkin.

Look how old Mackinnon is. How old Kopitar was..... Scheifele, Seguin, Bergeron, etc until they hit their peak

Yet you think Bouchard is gonna be a Top-Pairing dman by 25?
Exactly, Oilers don’t have the type of assets that are a good value for a team to accept Lucic. Most of their assets (very few) are either way too rich (Mcdavid, Drai, etc) or are too low of value. The first is the only good middle point but that depends where the Oilers end up...

Oilers are in a terrible spot. Their prospect pool is pretty poor and to get rid of the plethora of capdumps would require them to cough up picks and prospects leaving them with nothing left.

Chiarelli set them back 4 years.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
JP was a top-5 pick and look at him. Where you were picked is irrelevant.

Romanov was a 2nd round pick and was infinitely better than Bouchard - winning the best dman award at the most prolific best on best junior tournament.

Bouchard's skating is a huge concern to me. I don't see him ever being a top-pairing dman. I would take Romanov over him in a heartbeat right now.

I dont like judging based on a small sample sized tourny. I dont disagree that Romanov looked a lot better than Bouchard, but not so long ago JP was the MVP of the WJ as well... as was Brandon Gormely.

ANyway, I just foresee a problem with the Habs landing a #1D as Weber gets slower.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I dont like judging based on a small sample sized tourny. I dont disagree that Romanov looked a lot better than Bouchard, but not so long ago JP was the MVP of the WJ as well... as was Brandon Gormely.

ANyway, I just foresee a problem with the Habs landing a #1D as Weber gets slower.

You don't just land a #1D. You draft and develop them. Habs have some good ones in the pipe and will continue to draft.

The beauty of Weber is that his game is not built on speed. He can't get slower than he is now. He'll be our #1D for another 3 to 4 years at least or longer.

There is a chance, Romanov may be able to get out of his KHL contract to join the Habs as early as next season.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No one knows. All I can say is that he was a highly coveted Dman in last year's draft, and its way too early to judge him at 18/19 years old.

Yes, and its way too early to anoint him as a future #1D. Plus, he's a RHD and we have Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Josh Brook... Bouchard wouldn't crack the Habs roster for at least 2 years.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

He was on the same line as Aho and Laine, and honestly that MVP award should've went to Aho.

He obviously still has a lot of potential, but not at the cost of taking on Lucic.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No one knows. All I can say is that he was a highly coveted Dman in last year's draft, and its way too early to judge him at 18/19 years old.

How does taking him on Bouchard as the sweetner in a horrible Lucic trade change our so-called predicament (your opinion of course) of no #1 dman in 3 years?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
How does taking him on Bouchard as the sweetner in a horrible Lucic trade change our so-called predicament (your opinion of course) of no #1 dman in 3 years?

Now that I see Lucic will cost $5M per even if they buy him out, its maybe not the best deal.... but I would take the chance on Bouchard being a top pairing Dman in 3-5 years, yes. I understand hes not proven yet, but as mentioned, where else will they get one? They may not have that opportunity again.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Now that I see Lucic will cost $5M per even if they buy him out, its maybe not the best deal.... but I would take the chance on Bouchard being a top pairing Dman in 3-5 years, yes. I understand hes not proven yet, but as mentioned, where else will they get one? They may not have that opportunity again.

I see Romanov being a top dman in 3 to 5 years as well, playing in a position of need and a much better fit on the Habs. Bringing on Bouchard as a RHD which we are extremely deep in makes zero sense when having to stomach Lucic's nuclear waste. Its really bad cap management.

Bouchard also needs to improve his skating by a huge margin before he would even get a sniff at the NHL on the Habs.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Scheifele and Mackinnon have been 1st line centers for years now. Just because he won't be at his absolute peak doesn't mean he won't be a dominant player

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Puljujarvi has 9 points in 44 games.

And you'd take Lucic for him?

:laugh: Yikes.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
fWfCYubtEF18CptcSJ

There's no way for Habs fans or management to stomach or justify taking on this utterly stupid contract. Not even if Bouchard replaces Puljujarvi. Now if you add Oiler's 2019 first to the mix and Alzner goes the other way, then maybe, just maybe it'll give management reason to stop and think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad