Confirmed with Link: Montreal fires Therrien - Claude Julien named Habs Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I can hardly wait to watch the bilingual interviews where Claude complains about back to back games and compressed schedules in two languages!!! :naughty:

I prefer the ones where he will whine that his roster isn't good enough.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Reporting this post.

Hang on there...... we might not have heard the whole proposal.

For example....

Bruin hire Michel Therien to be available for home games. In the event that things go badly on the ice, fans will be offered an opportunity to kick him in the testicles between periods as a means of reducing tension and instances where crap gets thrown on the ice.

There also might be an opportunity to buy testicle kicks for Charity for sick kids. Something like: "TTTT Challenge: Testing Therien's Testes for Treatment".

Just throwing around some ideas -- nothing concrete yet. Just didn't want to shoot the idea down without giving it some out of the box thought.:laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We should hire Therrien :)

I'm on board but only on one condition. He has to conduct all team related interviews and media requests in French only. The team has to do something to appease the newly minted Hab fan converts that are jumping ship because they hired Claude...:naughty:

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Statement by Michel Therrien

MONTREAL, Feb. 16, 2017 - I would first like to thank the Montreal Canadiens organization, especially Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin, for the experience of five remarkable years. The Montreal Canadiens have always been a great organization, and recent events in no way change my perception of the team and its management.

Being an NHL coach is a tough job: it is gratifying on many levels but it can also quickly become a thankless task. When a team is experiencing difficulties, any head coach knows his job is on the line. I understand and accept this reality.

I would like to thank fans in Montreal and across Quebec, as well as members of the media. I also salute the coaches and staff I have worked with over the years and, above all, the many players whom I had the privilege of coaching.

I leave with my head held high: I am very proud of the work accomplished over the past five years. The current team can aspire to great honours, and I wish my colleague Claude Julien every success in the future.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I think you'll find a lot of people that would put him there, or at least top 5.

We know that with the right roster and ridiculous goaltending he can win a cup. We know with the right roster and great goaltending he can get to the finals. We know with a borderline roster he can miss the playoffs twice. We know that with a competitive roster he can win one round of playoffs 6 times and no rounds 4 times.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Statement by Michel Therrien

MONTREAL, Feb. 16, 2017 - I would first like to thank the Montreal Canadiens organization, especially Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin, for the experience of five remarkable years. The Montreal Canadiens have always been a great organization, and recent events in no way change my perception of the team and its management.

Being an NHL coach is a tough job: it is gratifying on many levels but it can also quickly become a thankless task. When a team is experiencing difficulties, any head coach knows his job is on the line. I understand and accept this reality.

I would like to thank fans in Montreal and across Quebec, as well as members of the media. I also salute the coaches and staff I have worked with over the years and, above all, the many players whom I had the privilege of coaching.

I leave with my head held high: I am very proud of the work accomplished over the past five years. The current team can aspire to great honours, and I wish my colleague Claude Julien every success in the future.

Does it stand out to anyone else that he does not thank the fans? Certainly does to me. Says a lot about the insane expectations of a fanbase that experienced an incredible run of almost routine Stanley Cups before the playing field was leveled.

Since I joined this board in 2008, I think there has probably been an accrued total of two months where the majority of Habs fans expressed approval in the head coach of the team. The blame seems to fall on the coach harder than anywhere else in the league up there.

It's also about time they drop the "he's gotta be French" thing...

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Worse.

Obviously, this is a subjective thing, but I would put the following guys above him:

Q
Babcock
Boudreau
Sutter
Cooper
Maybe Trotz

He's Top 6/7 for me, but not Top 3.

Regardless of where exactly you have him ranked, unless every one of those guys are up for contracts at the same time, it's irrelevant. Just like players, when you sign the contract can be key. A player that may not be the very best at his position may end up signing for more than the #1 guy if there's even just a year or two that passes between when the contracts were signed. Markets change.....and for professional sports, it's almost never going down.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
-The Jacobs want to save money
-Out of respect for Julien also they let him seek employment elsewhere

Its up to CJ what he does after

Your interpretation of the facts are false.
Julien did not seek employment elsewhere. The Canadiens asked the Bruins if they could talk to him and the Bruins said yes. The FO or ownership allowed this to happen.

Julien got his first head coaching gig in the NHL with Montreal. Maybe going to that club is not as sacrilegious as you might think. Hal Gill went there. Quintal went there. Samsonov went there. Andy Moog went there.

Yes, it's a rivalry because they have a long history of hard fought games but it's the fans that get carried away. The players and coaches are colleagues to an extent.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Does it stand out to anyone else that he does not thank the fans?

Except in the third paragraph, first sentence, where he literally says:

"I would like to thank fans in Montreal and across Quebec . . .

:shakehead

Let's not all be delusional like Habs fans who see things that just aren't true. We have enough of those already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad